Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Crossing Canada over length issues

Has anyone had an over length experience traveling to Alaska, I plan on traveling With My 45' M.H towing Car Trailer that makes Me 68.0" In length, I have called BC Gov, They informed Me that 65'6" Max On Combination, (THEY DO NOT ISSUE OVER LENGTH PERMITS), Wondering If anyone that long has any issues crossing Border?, I would hate for them to tell me to unhook trailer to continue.
I Have not contacted Alberta as Yet, Don't know what there Laws are.
Thanks For any info!.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #2

Gee, we've been up and down the Alaska Highway 12 times since 2006 and have never had an issue. Did follow an RCMP patrol car for 40-50 miles though. He showed me it was OK to use the oncoming traffic lanes to avoid the frost heaves, traffic permitting of course. Yes, we're over 70'.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTENT View Post
Has anyone had an over length experience traveling to Alaska, I plan on traveling With My 45' M.H towing Car Trailer that makes Me 68.0" In length, I have called BC Gov, They informed Me that 65'6" Max On Combination, (THEY DO NOT ISSUE OVER LENGTH PERMITS), Wondering If anyone that long has any issues crossing Border?, I would hate for them to tell me to unhook trailer to continue.
I Have not contacted Alberta as Yet, Don't know what there Laws are.
Thanks For any info!.
technically you have found out what the length rule is. chances of being stopped ;; next to zero ;; the border has no authority on any BC vehicle length regulations nor will quiz u on such
Border authority is Federal nothing to do with BC transports rules and regulations
If you were a commercial truck and trailer then you would be fined as They would catch you at a weigh scale
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Exact Regulations for RV units is here:
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...PDF/MV3230.pdf

Agreed, no Vehicle Inspector would get out a tape and measure you....or care about 2'...although they do like to pick on BC Drivers with air brakes and don't have the air endorsement.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Exact Regulations for RV units is here:
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...PDF/MV3230.pdf

Agreed, no Vehicle Inspector would get out a tape and measure you....or care about 2'...although they do like to pick on BC Drivers with air brakes and don't have the air endorsement.
every BC driver driving a diesel pusher knows full well they need the endorsement so you takes your chances
Old 12-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The air brake endorsement for BC drivers does not apply for the OP, UNLESS Minn (his shown state) requires him to have an air brake endorsement.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to read your replies, I have Class A with Passenger endorsement, So I should not have problem , Glad Too hear You Had No problem Pigman, Guess I'll give it a try,.Thanks To All
Old 12-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
The air brake endorsement for BC drivers does not apply for the OP, UNLESS Minn (his shown state) requires him to have an air brake endorsement.
and no one here suggested he needed one
Old 12-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is a link for all of Canada
RVDA of Canada - Provincial RV Regulations
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with others doubting you will get caught by enforcement unless "you have a accident". Then you may get a agressive attorney going for your jugular. If you are violating the law and know it, what kind of defense will you offer? Hope your Insurance Co. is understanding.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #11

You just have to call back until you get the answer you want.
Six years ago we stopped to visit a friend in Spokane, Wa. in the fall and while there discovered he had a very nice boat he was no longer using. I wanted the boat for Alaska and we agreed on a selling price pending on me being able to tow the boat thru Canada the next spring. A careful measurement showed we would be a couple inches over 75' long and 106" wide.

I called BC DOT and talked to a lady who didn't know if I could do it or not but she said she would ask a supervisor and call me back. I waited two days and never got a call back, so I called again and got a different person who said "no problem". I just had to buy an over length and over width permit, each costing $35. I wanted to buy them then but he said I had to wait and buy them two weeks before crossing the border.

So I worried all winter, and then in the spring, called two weeks before we wanted to go. We were in central Calif and would drive back to Spokane and pay my friend and go on from there. The person I got this time said I had to wait until two days before crossing to get the permits. So now I will be buying the boat and getting the permits at the same time, but I'm beginning to learn the system.

I bought the boat and called BC DOT the next day and got a lady who said I could not tow the boat thru Canada. I argued to no avail about my previous calls, so I gave up, waited 15 minutes and called again. I got a different lady who sold me both permits for a total of $35 and emailed copies to me.

I had the permits in my lap as we pulled up to the border crossing, the officer asked me all the usual questions and then look back at what I was towing...and said "nice boat, have a good trip".

We then drove Thru Canada to Alaska without any inspections or problems.

So, you just have to call back until you get the answer you want.

Larry (next spring will be our 15th time traveling from Texas to Alaska, and then back in the fall)
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
The border folks are not highway traffic officers. They will not check you for length, weight, width. That comes down the road a few miles at a truck inspection station.

RV are not required to stop. Well sometimes they are in BC when they seem to do a "check everybody" day. Alberta you will/can get pulled in by a transport officer if something attracts their attention.

I work on the premise if you drive sensibly, at or under the speed limit and do not appear to be a hazard they will leave you alone.

It may be worth your while to bypass BC and travel to Alaska through Alberta. The roads are in better condition and there will be less passes to climb and descend.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to ALL, I'm going to give it a Try
Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTENT View Post
Thanks to ALL, I'm going to give it a Try
although its BS the roads are better in alberta if your coming from Minnesota it would be prudent miles wise to go through alberta and head north to Alaska and pass into BC in the way north area

Tags
ada, canada