Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #1

Crossing the Border --First time full timers

Hi ,
Starting in August of 2020, we will be living full time in our trailer(myself, my wife and our loving dog Molly). We have been spending all our summers in the trailer (30' TT jayco elite). We have been doing this with a passion for 15+ years . Winters have been spent at our home in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. We will be selling our home and travelling to warmer climates during the winter. My question is,, what information is required at the border when going to the USA for 6 months. Any information is always appreciated!!
Grants Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #2

It's always best to get current info from the government itself. Here's a link: What you need to know to cross the border.

I read that type of article, and then I read the helpful articles written by regular people. Usually is more helpful then the governments site. Google your questions.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Very similar to crossing into Canada
Basically not plants, veggies, fruits, meat, grass, limit on alcohol and cigs. REad the regulations on the US emigration web site.

And make sure Molly is up to day on her shots.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #4

I certainly wouldn't rely on answers given on a forum. Consult the proper official web sites. Regulations change all the time.

Have fun in your new lifestyle!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

You may need more than a shot record. I asked my vet for documentation for our dog for a Canadian visit, and she produced a document that also described the individual dog (Breed, sex, color, etc.). Maybe the same thing is needed for a visit in the opposite direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
...And make sure Molly is up to day on her shots.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #6

As someone who crosses the border often here are a few tips.
1. Have passports ready to give the agent.
2. Have vaccine papers for Molly ready incase they ask. (They don't always ask for them and we travel with3)
3. Lower your back windows if you have any, so they can see into the backseat if you have one.
4. Answer the questions asked without getting personal or upset.
5. Do Not bring the following with you, Eggs, fruit, plants, more than 200 cigarettes per person, not sure on alcohol amount but they do have an amount on the government site, fresh meats UNLESS they are still in the original package, Frozen meats and vegetables are ok, more than $10,000 cash or traveler's checks or combinations that equal $10,000 or more. (Credit cards are your friend to avoid the questions on why your carrying so much cash)
6. If you don't carry out of country health insurance then get some incase of emergencies.

Remember that the agent is doing his or her job and have to ask questions and they don't want to know your life history.

We have crossed into the USA without any problems and we have crossed over and had our vehicle searched while we were detained inside. It's not a big deal, just a little extra time waiting to cross. Just be honest and friendly with them.
Enjoy your trip and don't worry, they aren't out to get you.
Fawny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #7

...and cross in a remote area. Much less hassle. Usually just get waved through. Unless there was a recent terrorist type attack somewhere nearby.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #8

we went to Alaska a year ago and all the Canadian check points were easy the people there were very courteous and mad it very easy. I went and had my dog checked and got a certificate it cost me 100.00. when interring Canada we were told everything was good your free to go. the guy was very nice, but I ask him if he didn't want to see the papers on the dog he said I can see the dog she look healthy that's good enough. we went through 4 check points and NEVER had to show dog papers. coming back into the US in Washington the US guard was a belligerent a-hole just the way he talked to us. maybe just a bad day for him?
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #9

Being a full time Canadian RVer, presents it's own set of problems when entering the USA.
Depending on the US border agent and your answers to questions you could be denied entry to the USA.

Join the Canadian Snowbird Ass.

www.snowbirds.org

Then look at this form from the US; IRS.

www.irs.gov/form8840
Pay particular attention to the questions about your residence.

You MUST maintain a place available for your return into Canada; 24/7/365 , you can own , or rent . But it must always be available.
Although the Snowbird Ass. is working to relax the rules by providing a ; Retired Canadian Visa for the USA; the process is delayed in the US House of Representatives; so all the old rules are still in effect.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Being a full time Canadian RVer, presents it's own set of problems when entering the USA.
Depending on the US border agent and your answers to questions you could be denied entry to the USA.

www.snowbirds.org

www.irs.gov/form8840

You MUST maintain a place available for your return into Canada; 24/7/365 , you can own , or rent . But it must always be available.
Although the Snowbird Ass. is working to relax the rules by providing a ; Retired Canadian Visa for the USA; the process is delayed in the US House of Representatives; so all the old rules are still in effect.
I have a bunch of Canadian cousins who live in New Brunswick province and they lately have been relating horror stories about getting the "third-degree" when entering the U.S. Seems like the pressure is on to be sure none of our Canadian visitors are trying to "sneak" into the U.S. on the pretense of being on vacation but may be planning to stay. That's a primary reason, as quoted above, that you need to be maintaining a Canadian home to come back to.

We visit Canada every year and lately have been hearing from our neighbors to the North that they have quit coming to the U.S. just because of the hassle getting through the border.

In addition to visiting often and having family in Canada, I drove a tour bus for a few years and on my last half-dozen or so trips back into the U.S. found the U.S. border enforcement officers to be more and more suspicious and less and less friendly.

Regardless, I don't let anyone's attitude keep me from visiting the beautiful country that is Canada and the incredible people who live there.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Good advice

Other responders have offered good advice.

Here’s our additional 2 cents

Be aware that you cannot spend more than ~ 180 days in the USA otherwise there may be tax implications.

Buy your dog food there. We were inspected and the concern was that the dog food did not contain lamb or pork products. Anything that you do take must be in its original packaging. We too did take Roxy to the vet for an exam (for our peace of mind too) and we got a health certificate.

Chicken must be frozen or cooked. Eggs cannot be raw - we had one officer crack one that we declared, just to see if we were being forthright.

Our bank teller here, near Parksville, told us that the exchange rate on American cash was actually better at our ATM than over the counter. Don’t take more than $10K in cash.

Make sure that you have your prescription medications in their containers. We asked our pharmacist for a printout of our current meds and he happily complied. We also got 5 months of meds with zero hassle and very little cost to us! About $300 as we exceeded our limit a bit. Meds are VERY expensive in the USA, not so expensive in Mexico however one has to be careful in Mexico that one is dealing with a reputable pharmacy. Not an independent corner store type.

Other than being inspected once for dog food and refrigerator type foods and vegetables once going south, and the eggs coming into the USA from Mexico, we found the American border guards to be pleasant and professional.

Enjoy your adventure!

Cheers

DJ
Old 12-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing I haven't seen in these discussions is firearms. In our travels to and from Alaska to the Lower-48 through Canada, agents on both sides of the border always asked if we were carrying any firearms. Some accepted a simple "no" answer and some asked multiple questions designed to trip you up if you're being less than truthful.

A couple times when entering Canada there were also questions about Tasers and Mace-type protection sprays.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

www.snowbirds.org

www.irs.gov/form8840

Skip, We have always managed by just telling the boarder guard the date I have to return to work. Now, I don't have a job to return to !
Thinking maybe I should bring proof of residency with me. I was thinking maybe a property tax notice?
Old 12-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Skip, We have always managed by just telling the boarder guard the date I have to return to work. Now, I don't have a job to return to !
Thinking maybe I should bring proof of residency with me. I was thinking maybe a property tax notice?
The property tax notice , is an item I carry , too; I also file the 8840 form annually , even if I'm not close to the number of days I'm allowed to stay in the USA.

Having a destination; reservations ; in the USA and a scheduled return date into Canada , will ease the questions ( in most cases ).

On a side note , I have crossed at the same crossing into Washington state for 7 of the last 8 years, Laurier WA, a very small crossing , this year was the first time I've been asked to go into the building while a border agent went through the coach , and the desk agent pulled up all our passport history .
US Border security is tighter everywhere.

Tags
full time, full timer