Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the good info. We have been on line and the info they provide about coming back into th USA is not very explicit and contradictory so that's the problem side.
Yes Rockin I do love my tea and would hate to have them get into my collection.
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coming back they asked:
1. Passports.
2. Where and when we crossed into Canada.
3. Where we had traveled in Canada.
4. How much did we spend on items we were bringing back.
5. Permission papers for our Grandson to travel with us.
6. Any food purchased in Canada that we were bringing back.

I was told that the key is to be totally honest in case they do decide to search you. If you say you have no food from Canada and they do search and find any, they will then likely do a complete search.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #17

For entering Canada we used these: Canada Border Services Agency and Canada Travel.
For re-entering the U.S.A., we followed the guidelines of U.S. Customs and Border Patrol and U.S. Department of State.
Re-entering the U.S.A., the auto lines were about 300 yds long while the truck lanes were virtually empty,(no trucks could enter the truck lanes because of said backup). I decided to ignore the signage and use a truck lane. The agent was not happy, but acted with professionalism and courtesy. After asking the usual questions and running our names through the computer he waved us along.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I crossed several times in July this year. All the crossings were in the Niagara Falls area. Going into Canada was much easier than returning to the USA. We had our two grandchildren with us. Everyone in our party has a passport and I have a notarized letter for international transport of minor children.

Nobody asked to enter the coach. The questions asked were as previously posted. When entering the USA each minor child had to answer questions about how they know me and what were they doing with me. I was never asked for the International Transport of Minor Children letter.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #19

Coastal Campers
Cross every two years or so.. have crossed in Maine. NY Michigan & Washington..

Going into Canada is easier than getting back into the US..
Passports..
No un-cooked foods, either way..
Legal booze & beer.. don't forget to grab your Labats at the duty free store on the way back home..
Have RV papers and your Canadian Insurance Riderfrom your RV insurance company..
All pet paperwork, shot records..
Old 08-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
After reading all the other posts I guess we got the only Canadian Crossing Guard who was PMS.
When we spoke with our cousin the other day, who lives up here, she stated "I bet it was a female." [She was right.] She also said that the only time they have any type of problem is with the females going into Canada.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We cross into Canada quite often as our daughter lives in Toronto. My DH also goes to Canada on business fairly regularly. I believe they have all our info in the computer so when the picture of our plate is taken they see everything. We don't have any problems coming or going. We have taken the fiver, we have taken dogs, no problem. The biggest problem is the wait sometimes. Crossing into Cornwall, ON used to be a breeze, now it can be a wait. And coming back into the US, you might end up waiting on the bridge which is old and doesn't seem to be in good repair.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #22

We always carry a nice selection of wine with us as well as a number of bottles of alcohol. We were told by a friend that they had to pay a tax on each bottle of wine and that they almost didn't allow a half empty bottle of Royal Crown into the Canada. Any advice on that issue?

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They asked us about alcohol each way. We must have been under the limit as they said OK.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Two weeks ago we were boarded by the Agricultural agent crossing into the US from Quebec into Vermont. She inspected our fridge and anything else that grows. She came out of the trailer with a couple of lemons and a bunch of scallions and explained why we could not enter the US with them. She asked about our aloe plant and said we should leave it "home" next time but she would allow us to keep it this time. For the record, that aloe plant has crossed the border many times and has never been singled out before by agriculture when they checked us. I am always prepared to give up whatever we have on board and don't worry about it too much. The main thing is to answer truthfully any questions they ask.

Sidney

www.aworldtraveler.com
sidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Regarding booze going into Canada. My understanding they are not worried about opened bottles, they are mainly interested in new stuff that could be resold. I always write the open bottles that we have on a sheet of paper and hand it to the agent when asked about booze. We never take full bottles of booze into Canada that the agents can find!!! Sneaky ol Tom!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:35 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I crossed in Sweetgrass. They asked all the questions . . . but I had done my research and knew that any meat had to have the USDA stickers on it, the limits on liquor, no fruits and veggies, no hand guns, had the dogs vaccination records and all my paperwork ready to present on crossing. Also had to have a health certificate on the dogs stating that they had all their shots and were checked and found to be healthy within 30 days. I answered their questions and went about my business. Had to cross to go into Haines, Alaska and back out, and then going into Stewart/Hyder as well. Never had a problem.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had all of the papers on our dog ready and they never asked in either direction if we had a pet. They never said a word about meat products when entering Canada. On our return to the USA they asked if we had any food purchased in Canada.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #28

Coastal Campers
I mentioned Canadian Insurance Riders above.. no one else has mentioned it so here it is again..

Don't forget to call your RV insurer and have them sent you Canadian Insurance Information.. mine sends a form that states that we are covered for dates of trip and who the Canadian Agent is.. I'm with USAA not a small insurer..

Just ran out to the truck & pulled an old one, thanks for waiting..

(their caps)
CANADA NON-RESIDENTINTER-PROVINCE MOTOR VEHICLE LIABILITY INSURANCE CARD, CERTIFICAT D'ASSURANCE - AUTOMOBILE RESPONSABILITE'

They send one for the truck and one for the 5er.. no charge.. just call..