Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #1

Crossing US Canada Border

Hey all....my wife and I are active RV'ers here in Canada and have property in Florida and are desperately trying to get down....but the border is closed? Or is it?
I just got news from a Canadian trucker (from Quebec) who has noticed dozens of RV's sporting Quebec tags traveling south this week....can anyone along the I-81 or I-95 corridor confirm this?

We have called border crossing locations in the US to see if there is a change in the policy....and no there isn't, the border is closed!

Even if the RV's were stored in the US, it doesn't explain how the occupants got there....you can only fly in. Which is what we'll be doing later this month.

Thanks

Bill
Kid Shilleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #2

Hey Bill,

There's been discussion elsewhere that a lot of Quebecors are paying commercial drivers to take their rigs over the border into the USA and then they are flying down to the nearest point (non-quarantine required), and jumping in and driving on their merry ways.

A ton of Canadians are appalled about this but ......... that is what we've been told is happening.

Just sharing.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #3

Some Canadians in Titusville, FL are doing what SomeDay said.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #4

Someone always comes up with a "work around" for a problem. A concern I would have would be what problems you might have getting home to Canada in the spring. I would hope things are back to normal by then but who knows?
Old 11-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehouse 2 View Post
Someone always comes up with a "work around" for a problem. A concern I would have would be what problems you might have getting home to Canada in the spring. I would hope things are back to normal by then but who knows?
As a Canadian citizen, Border Officials cannot refuse you entry into Canada. The border closures are for non residents. They can require a quarantine schedule that will be monitored.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
As a Canadian citizen, Border Officials cannot refuse you entry into Canada. The border closures are for non residents. They can require a quarantine schedule that will be monitored.
But your motorhome is not a citizen.

Actually, what I've heard in our park is that the Canadian citizens are not allowed to cross into the US by land and if they do they are without health insurance. No idea, just what I've heard. Don't know what would happen if Canadians try to cross from US to Canada.

One thing I know for a fact, this park is normally about 30% Canadian thru the winter and you'd be hard pressed to find any Canadians right now.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Actually, what I've heard in our park is that the Canadian citizens are not allowed to cross into the US by land and if they do they are without health insurance.
Canadian health care is not provided by the government when out of the country. Most either have healthcare that covers them outside the country (such as Sun Life) and some use a travel insurance company like Medipac.

Both are (or were) providing COVID coverage in the USA as long as travel was not outright banned by the Canadian government, such as on cruise ships.

Ray
Old 11-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our Canadian Healthy Care System is a bad joke perpetrated on Canadians.
Dennis & Denise Full Time RV Mutants #40
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #9

There are probably work arounds to get your RV south to the border, commercial carriers or ??.
Yes, you could fly to some point in the U.S. and meet up with your RV, how much extra money for this, but it is probably worth it to avoid some of our winters.
Health Insurance, probably the big question. I have a plan for out of province coverage from a secondary or supplemental insurance for Out Of Province coverage. I got the standard news letter from them with the Covid-19 update. The rules for coverage on pre existing conditions NOT being covered by the extra insurance. At that time they were classing Covid-19 as pre existing health risk and there fore not covering you out of Province.
You could take the gamble that you don't get sick or have an accident, or that your supplemental insurance will pay.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:15 AM   #10

Thanks all for your response. We are shipping our car to Florida and will follow by plane in a few weeks, fortunately our coach is stored in Florida.

Our out of country insurance does extend coverage for covid-19, our government health coverage has little to offer when out of country, little in country as well.....but that's a much different thread
Kid Shilleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #11

I was talking with a Full Time couple last week who did contact a commercial transport company about driving their large class A into the US for them.
The company originally took on the job and the couple went ahead to make their plans.
Later, the company called back to say they were meeting with resistance at the border with these types of shipments and said they could not take the RV.
It sounds as though this loop hole may now be closed.
The reality is, this couple must now find Winter storage for their RV and last minute accommodations.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #12

Of course if a snowbirding Canadian were to get Covid after they had flown to the US, I have to wonder if they are going to be allowed to get on a plane to fly home to take advantage of the Canadian healthcare system.

Dave
Old 11-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #13

With the Covid cases in the US rising astronomically, I can see why Canada would want to stop traveler's from crossing the border. Cases here are higher than ever.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
With the Covid cases in the US rising astronomically, I can see why Canada would want to stop traveler's from crossing the border. Cases here are higher than ever.
Well Canada's " second wave " ( started two weeks after our Thanksgiving) of infections is quickly passing the first , thankfully the mortality rate hasn't spiked ; YET.

Tags
ada, canada