Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #15

I've been driving a truck for a living for 39 yrs... For what its worth... Now days,, when my wife offers to stand out and watch,,, I never refuse !!!! She is a good driver and I trust her....Also,,, when in doubt,,, (GOAL) Get Out And Look !!!! Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
High five. Big hug and much love to every co-pilot / navigator on the team! We are a team of two and we need both team members. We are planning to full time in mid-2019 and are new to RV'ing. Not new to towing and backing a trailer though and yet I rely on my "navigator" heavily. She can see it all from outside the rig and with radios, there's no yelling. We recently stopped for a refreshment (Starbucks) and I pulled the rig into an area that seemed like a great out of the way spot. One problem.....it was a dead end. The seemingly simple maneuvering it took to park pulling forward was lost on the incredibly difficult time I would have had backing out without her. She saw it all. The tree limb that wanted to eat up the side of the rig. The fence, the curbs, other vehicles in the lot etc. I'm so glad I learned the value of my navigator before we start full-timing.
Keener50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #17

Alas, DW doesn't seem to be able to read the bubble in a level, and I can't get her to plant herself where I can see her in the mirrors while backing into a site. It would be nice if I could get her to use the phones that we both carry, too. Lost cause so far. Wish it could be better. We'll keep working on it.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Alas, DW doesn't seem to be able to read the bubble in a level, and I can't get her to plant herself where I can see her in the mirrors while backing into a site. It would be nice if I could get her to use the phones that we both carry, too. Lost cause so far. Wish it could be better. We'll keep working on it.
My DW seems to be bubble level challenged as well. She was sitting on the sofa looking at the bubble and telling me to bring the left side up. I kept raising up the left side, and realized something wasn't right. Left side was way high and she's still saying the left side is low. It was then I realized she was sitting on the sofa looking at the bubble and her left was actually the front of the coach! I just used the lights on the leveler from that point. We had to have a little class on leveling after that...
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #19

I ran a Campground for 20 years. Oh the things I've seen...………...
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #20

Sitting at a boat ramp is no different. I have seen people nearly killed several times.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
My DW seems to be bubble level challenged as well. She was sitting on the sofa looking at the bubble and telling me to bring the left side up. I kept raising up the left side, and realized something wasn't right. Left side was way high and she's still saying the left side is low. It was then I realized she was sitting on the sofa looking at the bubble and her left was actually the front of the coach! I just used the lights on the leveler from that point. We had to have a little class on leveling after that...
jt

Different issue (backing in)
But when we talk instead of hand signals it is passenger side, driver side, forward, back to avoid confusion.

Tom
Old 10-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #22

I back in without directions. My wife is responsible for watching and yelling before I hit anything. Otherwise, I'm on my own.

If I can't get it parked, that's on me. If I hit something, that's on her. So far we've never hit anything.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hohenwald, you've got the best method. [emoji106]
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Sounds familar, but we are working on it. i don't know how many times i've asked her if you can't see the mirror i can't see you. its getting better.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #25

It's too bad that so many RV parks put trees, boulders, light poles and such in positions that get in the way of campers trying to park their rigs. Sounds like the subject of this thread would have benefited from not having so many obstructions getting in his way.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #26

Quote:
I always say, my dear wife is already a "half a bubble off" as it is! I know if she says on the radio that the back has to come up, it usually means the front needs to come up. If she says the drivers side is low, it usually means the passenger side is low. Don't get me started on Lefts and Rights! But all in all, it sure would not be as much fun without her!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #27

At a Lake Havasu AZ boat ramp they sit in chairs with signs by the boat ramp and grade every launch.

We were at a very nice park in Houston this year and we were assigned a back in spot. 90 degree turn from the somewhat narrow road. Mind you we only have a 22 ft TT. I pulled up slightly past the spot on our right and got out to look. The guy across from our spot had his truck parked in the road where I had to pull forward a little to start the backing in. He came out and I asked if he could move it so I could back in. He begrudgingly moved it. He then says that he doesn't think I can back it in and HE'D be glad to do it for me. I declined the offer, got in and in one motion backed in, centered and parallel to the spot without stopping. Started to unhook and he came over again saying he never figured I could do that. Heck, I used to backup 747s at the airport for years.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
At a Lake Havasu AZ boat ramp they sit in chairs with signs by the boat ramp and grade every launch.

We were at a very nice park in Houston this year and we were assigned a back in spot. 90 degree turn from the somewhat narrow road. Mind you we only have a 22 ft TT. I pulled up slightly past the spot on our right and got out to look. The guy across from our spot had his truck parked in the road where I had to pull forward a little to start the backing in. He came out and I asked if he could move it so I could back in. He begrudgingly moved it. He then says that he doesn't think I can back it in and HE'D be glad to do it for me. I declined the offer, got in and in one motion backed in, centered and parallel to the spot without stopping. Started to unhook and he came over again saying he never figured I could do that. Heck, I used to backup 747s at the airport for years.
Boy that was funny! Launching a boat or backing into a campsite are about the same. I'll have to make up some number cards and take them with me next time!!!!

Just the other day I had a couple come by the coach and asked if we could move our tow car. He said "I'm new at this and I sure don't want to cause any damage to your car". I told him I would gladly move it, and if he needed any help to please stop by and ask. I moved the car to another campsite and then I rushed into my coach and carefully peeked out the window to watch. He was a lot better than he thought he was though. Got it into the site in two tries.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote