Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2022, 04:43 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Culmination of a bad month!

Today marks the end of a bad month, and the start of our temporary life without an RV.

It all started on April 18th when about 45 minutes before we were to leave on a 3 1/5 week trip to Austin, TX and then Michigan that the absorption refrigerator in our 2017 Winnebago View (24G Profile) went up in flames. Today the unit was finally removed from my driveway, and I signed over the title to the insurance company for a settlement check.

The planned trip was a long time coming due to other family health issues and my wife's loss of her mother. Needless to say we never got out of the driveway.

The unit had its annual warranty inspection done a month earlier and it would appear that someone failed to properly perform the requisite "check propane lines for leaks" entry on the inspection list. I am not here to badmouth anyone, but when I brought the unit home from the dealer after the inspection the propane was turned off so I question the validity of the inspection. I turned the propane on to keep the fridge running shortly before it went up in flames. The fire marshal found the propane line coupling to be finger loose after the fire was extinguished. I caution anyone and everyone to be extra vigilant if you have a three-way absorption fridge to make sure all propane lines are properly connected before turning on the fuel.

So now we start planning on what we want next and when we will be able to justify the cost. Thinking maybe a light(ish) trailer that I can tow behind my 2021 Honda Ridgeline.
Rhody_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2022, 05:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry you had to go through this. Good tips for us all.

May be a good time to re-evaluate what your wants vs. your needs are. I am sure you will find what is right for you at this time.

All the best.
FS
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:37 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Well that sucks. Hopefully you will be able tor replace it and head out later this year.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:56 PM   #4

The Snoozy has no propane, if that's what you're looking for. Light weight, too. Sold factory direct.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #5

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
The Snoozy has no propane, if that's what you're looking for. Light weight, too. Sold factory direct.
Thanks but seems that one would be a bit small for the Mrs and I (6' and 6'4" respectively)
Rhody_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote