Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2019, 07:10 AM   #1

Cummins Onan garbage

My 2016 Onan 7000 generator died after we left on a 3-week trip. Made for a really warm 19 hour drive home in our class A. Cummins says the stator shorted out. And of course the unit is 6 months beyond the warranty coverage. So Ive got to dish out $2,500 to get it running again.
Knowing the importance of having a well running generator I followed the maintenance schedule and care exactly as the manual requires. Actually I changed the oil more often than recommended. The gen tech asked if Ive ever run the generator while it was raining. To which I replied, of course. He said Cummins generators dont like that.
When the wife and I are ready to purchase another RV I wont even consider one with a Cummins genset. I know that will limit my choices but oh well.
Has anyone ever been told not to run the onboard generator while its raining?!
BTW my generator only has 180 hours and I exercise it regularly as recommended.
Shawn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #2

Have run my Onan 4000 for 600 hours in all weather, no mention in manual or otherwise about rain.

I know placement in the RV can make a difference, some where having trouble with 4000's a while back in Thor ACE's and Fleetwood Storms where they would overheat because they where up near the engine, Thor actually relocated some gens to back under warranty.

Is your located behind a wheel well or something like that where it gets direct spray from rain? My jack motor is located right behind front wheel with only mudflap protecting and I had to replaces brushes already due to corrosion, keep meaning to build a better shroud, horrible design from Winnebago on that one.

Good luck finding an RV without an Onan, who else even makes a gas genset for RV's? Only other brands I have seen where in older high end diesel pushers like 12kw and up and not sure if they are in new RV's.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn143 View Post
My 2016 Onan 7000 generator died after we left on a 3-week trip. Made for a really warm 19 hour drive home in our class A. Cummins says the stator shorted out. And of course the unit is 6 months beyond the warranty coverage. So Ive got to dish out $2,500 to get it running again.

Knowing the importance of having a well running generator I followed the maintenance schedule and care exactly as the manual requires. Actually I changed the oil more often than recommended. The gen tech asked if Ive ever run the generator while it was raining. To which I replied, of course. He said Cummins generators dont like that.

When the wife and I are ready to purchase another RV I wont even consider one with a Cummins genset. I know that will limit my choices but oh well.

Has anyone ever been told not to run the onboard generator while its raining?!

BTW my generator only has 180 hours and I exercise it regularly as recommended.
I just replaced my stator rotor assembly. It's not that difficult and I did for $650.00.
450 to 500 dollars was labor to remove the generator and reinstall. I had it out in less than an hour. There was also a 250.00 miscellaneous charge that they couldn't explain.
I did obtain the technician service manual with step by step instructions. I also took alot of pictures and color coded the wire locations.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

The gen tech asked if Ive ever run the generator while it was raining. To which I replied, of course. He said Cummins generators dont like that.

ROLOL
What in the hail storm are truck drivers to do with there refer trailers? Hold on it's raining... Delivery is delayed [emoji19] shut down the Onan [emoji26]
Old 08-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

My genset is located about 6 ft behind the rear driver side wheels. I imagine there would be a good amount of spray coming off the wheels back there. BUT c’mon if Cummins generators don’t like to be run in the rain there should be a huge warning on the cabinet stating that. I know it would be tough finding an RV that uses a different kind of generator but I’m as stubborn as it gets. When I feel like I’ve been ripped off by a product I’ll go out of my way to never give that company another dime of mine. I’d consider a 5th Wheel with no generator before I’ll buy another Cummins. And the truck I’ll buy to pull the 5th wheel will not have a Cummins engine. :(
Shawn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #6

Buy a Honda and modify it to fit. Youll never have a problem.
hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivoltage98 View Post
Buy a Honda and modify it to fit. Youll never have a problem.
For the price of the Honda and modifications it's cheaper to fix the Onan.
The Honda in the equivalent size is not set up for internal install. It needs to be air cooled , the exhaust another issue.?
When my Onan stator rotor assembly crapped out on me I bought a portable. Didn't like that I had to carry gasoline ( fifth wheel).
I rebuilt the Onan for 650 bucks. Running on propane perfect.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #8

Honda used to make water cooled RV generators but don't know if they still do.

Generac might be another source for an RV generator.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #9

General generators are crap. Worse than Cummins. I had to rebuild my RVQG 4kw after 463 hours. They dont make them like they used to. If I have another problem with the onan Ill buy a Honda and put it on the back of the rv.
Since they are inverters you can parallel them also and get more power if you need it.
I have a 7kw Onan built in 1974 that starts right up and runs like a top.
hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

Disbelief

Don't believe what the technician told you. Check directly with Onan. I am confident, you will get a different answer.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #11

How does a stator assembly short out? It doesn't move (by definition). It doesn't care about rain since all the wires are coated.

Must be due to either manufacturer's defect in not building/coating it correctly or due to corrosion due to moisture. The preventative maintenance has you run the generator monthly under at least half load for an hour to drive out any trapped moisture in the stator. If this has been done as required then where does the fickle finger of fate point?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #12

For it to fail that quickly it was a manufactures defect of the stator build. Its not hard to replace the stator. Getting the gen access to do the job is more work.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

I am sorry to hear about your failure. I would shop around as the price to fix it seems way over the top.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #14

I would contact onan also. Even though it is out of warranty it is a only by 6 months. They may show you some love and sell you the replacement parts at cost or very cheep.

Tags
cummins, onan