Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #1
TP7

Cummins Onan QD 6k issues

Hi all. Iím new here.

Have a 2014 Thor Chateau Super C and having trouble with my Onan QD 6000. Itís priming itself (or clicking like itís trying to) without pushing the start button in. When it does this, I canít get it to stop by pushing the switch either way. Only way to stop it is to disconnect the positive lead to the genset.

It started doing this on a trip beginning of Feb when I travelled from Texas back home to Kansas and the cold weather and winter storms hit. It was a mess of a drive and everything was covered in ice. I figured maybe the fuel in the line had gelled, and waited for warmer weather. I did get it powered back up and started when the weather warmed up into the 60s. Ran it for an hour without issue. But today (45 and rainy) I noticed it was making the clicking sound again on its own. So I disconnected the power again. When I reconnected it, Iím now getting a ď33Ē fault code. I thought maybe it was an error because thereís no ď33Ē in my manual. I did hit stop on the switch after seeing the initial three blinks. It just keeps blinking in batches of three.

Have tried disconnecting the power several times and itís just throwing the error code. Canít get it to start.

Read somewhere that the 33 code could be an overheat but the generator hasnít started once today.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Eric
TP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. I don't any answers for you, but I'm sure others will be able to help. I'm interested as I have an Onan 5.5kw genny. Have you considered calling a Cummins / Onan dealer?
Old 03-13-2021, 07:57 PM   #3
TP7

Thanks!

Iíll call on Monday. Am heading out on a trip Wednesday so I figured if I could get some ideas I might get it sorted before I leave.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You've got a connection that is getting wet. There is a multi pin/wire plug, usually on the back of the generator (outside the generator). You need to check that connection, clean and seal it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #5
TP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You've got a connection that is getting wet. There is a multi pin/wire plug, usually on the back of the generator (outside the generator). You need to check that connection, clean and seal it.
Thanks for the tip. While I canít quite diagnose what the issue is, unplugging the remote harness made the genset operable again. Iíll need to dig in further after my trip but at least I can use the generator.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Blow out that connection and add some dielectric grease to the connector. It will seal the connector and prevent moisture from getting in. You may also want to make sure the connector is protected from water (spray from the front wheels).

https://www.amazon.com/Stuf-STUF-Die...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, onan