Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #1

Current Owner of 2005 Winnebago nearing retirement

I curious what other RV'ers think here. I currently have a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29R with 21K miles. Ive had a few issues but overall the RV has a good traveling floorplan and we are use to all the quirks. We are both nearing retirement and I have been debating selling it and getting a diesel pusher or 5th wheel rig for more extensive traveling. Despite my RV showing no signs of problems, I'm hesitant to take it on the road across the country just because it is almost 20 years old.

Any thoughts on that? Obviously financially it is better to keep it and go, but I'm curious if others would be as concerned about it as I am because of the age. We have taken it once from NC to Texas and had a spark plug wiring issue that we easily got fixed, but we have not extensively traveled in it, so I don't know how it will hold up on the road and I realize nobody can predict that. Just curious about the general thoughts of the group. Thank you!
Blivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #2

With proper maintenance, I wouldn't hesitate to travel in it at all if the engine is running properly. Obviously with age, it depends on what items have been replaced already or should be such as brakes, belts antifreeze flush, brake fluid change, etc. And, if the tires are more than 5 or 6 years old, I would have them replaced. I'm assuming it is a gas engine model, so I'd have a good truck repair facility give it a thorough examination and see what they find and/or suggest.

In terms of the "house", if all the seals are in good shape and things are working, it should be fine for longer trips. Of course, there is the chance that something such as the fridge or water heater could have a problem or need to be replaced, but that's a fact of life with rigs that are not nearly as old.

In terms of the market, right now resale prices are high, but that means you are going to pay more for a rig, so I'm not sure you would benefit. In the short term, I would just maintain and/or put the rig in top shape and enjoy it. I think that in a year or two, the market may be flooded with used rigs which means your resale value may go down, but at least you may be in a "buyer's market" with a lot of choices. Of course, if you are thinking about buying new, then it's a different story.

If buying new, you can probably sell your rig for top dollar. The question is whether you can find what you want at a reasonable price as inventories are low, and dealers have no reason to drop prices very low.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #3

We're in the same situation with our 2003. I've also had the spark plug and wire issues that I think are resolved now with Magnum wires, spark plugs, and the home made venting that I installed. I've also had brake caliper sticking issues which I believe I've taken care of. Our rig is in good shape, I repair/replace as needed and make sure to perform proper preventative maintenance.

Still, because it's over 18 years old, there's always that nagging little voice in my head reminding me that a problem could develop about the time we end up on the other side of the country. All the appliances are original and working great now but having something like the a/c or frig carp out would probably put an end to a trip. We'd deal with a breakdown of course, but having one would be a pain in the rear and could certainly mess up a trip as well.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #4

Thank you. The market is probably the reason I have been thinking about it, but as you indicated there are lot of reasons to hang on to it I guess. Just put 6 brand new tires on and have fixed a lot on it. I don't relish another mortgage either. Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
With proper maintenance, I wouldn't hesitate to travel in it at all if the engine is running properly. Obviously with age, it depends on what items have been replaced already or should be such as brakes, belts antifreeze flush, brake fluid change, etc. And, if the tires are more than 5 or 6 years old, I would have them replaced. I'm assuming it is a gas engine model, so I'd have a good truck repair facility give it a thorough examination and see what they find and/or suggest.

In terms of the "house", if all the seals are in good shape and things are working, it should be fine for longer trips. Of course, there is the chance that something such as the fridge or water heater could have a problem or need to be replaced, but that's a fact of life with rigs that are not nearly as old.

In terms of the market, right now resale prices are high, but that means you are going to pay more for a rig, so I'm not sure you would benefit. In the short term, I would just maintain and/or put the rig in top shape and enjoy it. I think that in a year or two, the market may be flooded with used rigs which means your resale value may go down, but at least you may be in a "buyer's market" with a lot of choices. Of course, if you are thinking about buying new, then it's a different story.

If buying new, you can probably sell your rig for top dollar. The question is whether you can find what you want at a reasonable price as inventories are low, and dealers have no reason to drop prices very low.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
Old 07-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

Ahhh. Another workhorse chassis too. I just replaced the LED display on mine. That was a job but at least I can read it!

I hear from people with new or slightly used RVs about problems too so we are both probably worried about things we would still have to worry about. The FP I have allows access to everything except some bedroom drawers when the slides are in. That is a big deal for us because we don't stop and camp very much. We spend a lot of time on the road, in rest areas and parking lots, etc so we need usabliity closed up. I think I will take the advice and get some things checked out and replaced and hang on to it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
We're in the same situation with our 2003. I've also had the spark plug and wire issues that I think are resolved now with Magnum wires, spark plugs, and the home made venting that I installed. I've also had brake caliper sticking issues which I believe I've taken care of. Our rig is in good shape, I repair/replace as needed and make sure to perform proper preventative maintenance.

Still, because it's over 18 years old, there's always that nagging little voice in my head reminding me that a problem could develop about the time we end up on the other side of the country. All the appliances are original and working great now but having something like the a/c or frig carp out would probably put an end to a trip. We'd deal with a breakdown of course, but having one would be a pain in the rear and could certainly mess up a trip as well.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have 104,000 miles on our 2005 Winnebago Aspect and I would not hesitate to take it anywhere. Actually I would trust it more than I would today's RV's, judging from the complaints and issues I see posted here daily.
Knock on wood, we have not had any major problems. But I am a stickler for maintenance and do as much as I can myself. I also follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, especially regarding the transmission fluid and filter changes.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nice little rig. As other have said, if you've been maintaining it, there's probably no reason to not enjoy it. All coaches have problems of one sort or another. Most of those won't leave you stranded, just inconvenienced. If it were running good, I would go enjoy it.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually, for the price of a few DP monthly payments you could have your Sightseer gone over, new belts, brake fluid, Differential fluid, Trans fluid flush and exchange, coolant flush, in short, bring it up to date. The problem with an RV of that vintage and only 21,000 miles on it is that all those consumables have aged out. Unless you've kept up with it over the years of course. If that's the case, you're good to go!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #9

We had 110,000 miles on our 2001 Adventurer when we traded it in on our 2013 Adventurer. The last I heard the person that bought it has put on almost another 50,000 miles. If you keep up with the maintenance, and put on a new set of tires there shouldn't be any reason it won't go another 100,000 miles or more.

Our current 2013 Adventurer is closing in on 55,000 miles. It's almost time for a new set of tires. Other than that it's better than the day we bought it. I would easily trust it another 100,000 miles. As for the diesel pusher it might go 300,000 miles, but it doesn't sound like you're going to put on anywhere that number of miles.

Also keep in mind the regular maintenance on a DP is multiple times the cost of a gasser.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Actually, for the price of a few DP monthly payments you could have your Sightseer gone over, new belts, brake fluid, Differential fluid, Trans fluid flush and exchange, coolant flush, in short, bring it up to date. The problem with an RV of that vintage and only 21,000 miles on it is that all those consumables have aged out. Unless you've kept up with it over the years of course. If that's the case, you're good to go!

Really good points. Having a good mechanic do a once over is going to be cheaper than a big breakdown and will give you some peace of mind.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 21 yr old DP with 36k miles and no DIF. I try to keep all the thing up to date. I do most my own work. But to be on the safe side. I do have a mechanic of large trucks that I will have inspect the chassis and drive train.

Once we retired 2 years ago we we have been on 2 5k miles plus trips. But before hand we changed all fluids including rear axle. All filters, belts. I did not change hoses. They all look good and my mechanic said they are are good. Replace them if it makes you fell better.

Tires are all 4 yrs or newer.

I'm headed out in oct for another 5+k mile trip. And a 10k mile trip in march of 22

Why get somthing new, we have it they way we want it. I hope it's our last RV.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #12

If you like it, it's in good shape, and relatively problem free I would keep it. The money you will save over the cost of a newer diesel equals a lot of future gas and camping. My coach (although a diesel) is a 2006, and I wouldn't hesitate driving it anywhere.

Best regards and happy camping whichever way you decide to go. Retirement living is great.

2006 37' Allure Sunset Bay #31442
tinman 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #13

Same here. We have a 2003 Fleetwood Southwind, and bathroom being a little tight aside, just love everything about the floorplan. Had her since new and put on over 250,000kms. Admittedly we have had two replacement engines (2013 and 2018) that cost US$20,000 combined (US$8K & US$12K). First Pocatello Idaho, due to a $2 broken clip! (stayed in her for the week and went off during the day with their loaner vehicle), Second one towed back an hour North to Great Falls due to oil pan failure (they lent us their truck to go back home to Alberta for 3 weeks). Both trips delayed and altered somewhat but MEH, it all worked out.

Hubby longs for a diesel pusher but when we see all the DEF issues, and other problems, the higher maintenance and less we'd be able of that to do ourselves we are of the mind set better the devil we know than the devil we don't!

We went from Alberta up and down north and south every province, all the way across to Newfoundland and back through Maine, Cape Cod, Boston, NY state along the US side of the great lakes, from Apr to Aug 2019 with only one small issue ($80), and delayed one night, plus we replaced a couple of tires. Everything else on fluids, filters, oil changes etc we did ourselves as we travelled and before leaving. We service our generator fully every so often, and we are now about to tackle for the first time the wet hubs and rear diff fluids. If the rear diff fluid needs draining (looks bad) and not just topping up we will put her in somewhere that can properly drain her side to side, otherwise we are going to just top it up ourselves.

We don't sit anywhere very long, as we travel and dry camp/boondock extensively so often don't put out our slides on quick O/N's, and like the OP only have a couple bedroom drawers we can't access when slide in so really no problem.

Heard from and met a lot of folks that have said they love the ease of the Workhorse for working on and some regretted not still having theirs after changing rigs or upgrading to DP's. Just saying.

With retirement comes more flexibility of time, although I question how I ever had time to rear a family and work two jobs for so many years prior. LOL. Allowing a few days wiggle room in all your travels you should do fine for any unexpected repairs needed, we just say "tis wot tis" as things invariably happen, and we just deal with our options. Thus far, the money we've saved on not upgrading has enabled us to explore far and wide, and splurge where we might not have or thought twice about some costs to partake in.

Happy Travels and enjoy the Highlight of your Twilight, as I tell hubby that's what phase of life we are now in.

SD
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #14

I would recommend keeping it. 21,000 miles is almost new!!!! It sounds like it's comfortable for you and you know it's quirks. Even new RVs will have issues; especially since they now have so much added electronic stuff on them. Old is good.

If you're retired you're in no hurry... or shouldn't be, anyway. If something breaks on a trip there are always repair places around. Have a roadside insurance plan. If you're traveling the places will get you back on the road ASAP. It's not like being at home and you dropping off the RV to have something done. Then they take their good ole' time. For travelers it means an emergency to them and they'll get to it. They most likely will let you stay on the premises overnight, if necessary.... with electric. Just another glitch that's easily correctable.

If, while traveling, you feel you want a new one you could even buy one in any state you're in. Park right next to your old one and transfer everything to the new. We know people who have done this. It can be done.... really!! Think of the millions of full-timers out there with no home base. They buy and sell as they're traveling and have repairs/maintenance done easily.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, winnebago