Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
D E F

We are looking at a diesel pusher and an RV friend is telling us to stay away from D E F vehicles. What years did DEF become standard in RVs if you can answer that please.
Dennis & Denise Full Time RV Mutants #40
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure why he would say that. We have DEF and only need to fill every 4 fill. Easy at a truck stop as the DEF is at the pump.

With DEF they were able to open up the power so we get good mileage, lots of power and still meet the pollution standards.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #3

I believe DEF is required on just about all diesels made after 2008 (may include some 2008)
AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I think that DEF was required for vehicles in ‘08. I had a pre DEF vehicle and currently own a DEF vehicle and see no problem except that it is another item to monitor. From my experience you will get around 350 miles on a gallon of DEF.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

I feel pretty sure that DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) was required in 2012, the DPF (diesel particulate filter) came out in 2008 (2007 chassis).

Our '08 Monaco Dynasty had the DPF, no trouble at all with it in 7.5 yrs. of ownership and almost 70,000 miles.

We've had our new coach for 3.5 yrs. and 44,000 miles. We have the DPF and DEF (16 gal tank). No issues.

Anytime there is an added piece of equipment, there is a chance for failure. But, I like keeping the environment as clean as possible. We have virtually no fumes out the exhaust pipe.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #6

anytime a type of technology changes, certain folks are apt to 'cringe' and say that whatever they 'have' before the change is the 'best', and you shouldn't go along with those 'changes'.... but most of the time that's due to little knowledge and experience with the 'new' technology. Most of us don't know the old technology, and conversely, we can also only speak of what we know.... Diesel Pushers with DFP, DEF, or whatever terminology you want to use, are just fine. Matter of fact, look at the output of a diesel engine exhaust from 2005 and compare that 'smoke/gray/dust' to almost nothing from newer diesels with the Diesel Exhaust Fluid technology - clear!

I believe diesels now are also much more efficient, and need less 'horse power' to do the same job as larger 'old' diesels.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

Mr. Mark is right on. DEF & DPF are two different emission technologies. Even have them on tractors now.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

These exhaust systems caused some serious issues in diesel pickups a while back. Most of that has been resolved now. And most were due to the DPF. I am not aware of, and would venture to say the problems are less likely to occur in a larger diesel motor home. More to go wrong is a correct assumption, but again, I think the kinks have been pretty well worked out. I wouldn't let that get in the way of getting what you want.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One great byproduct of DEF and particulate filtering is no soot marks on your TOAD. These systems put out clean exhaust. I have had a DEF coach for almost 3 years with no issues.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I just moved from a high air pollution area - Salt Lake City. I refused to even look at diesels until they cleaned up their emissions, and DEF did that. We have happily had a diesel pickup for 3 years, and we have a diesel pusher on order. As with any technology change, there were a few rough patches to get over, but that was only the first year or two. It really isn’t a big deal to add DEF every once in a while, and the reduction in air pollution is dramatic. Your grandchildren and great grandchildren will bless you for having cleaner air.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
We are looking at a diesel pusher and an RV friend is telling us to stay away from D E F vehicles. What years did DEF become standard in RVs if you can answer that please.
DEF systems were incorporated into most diesel engine manufacturers for engines manufactured after 1/1/2010, as this is when the stricter EPA regulations came into effect.

Some manufacturers were known to have chassis's built ahead; therefore it is possible you would not see DEF utilized on coaches until the 2011 model year. Each manufacturer is different.

So why stay away from DEF? Cummins claims that with the introduction of DEF they gained fuel mileage savings upwards of 10%. DEF consumption is at a rate of 2%, meaning 2 gallons of DEF is burned for every 100 gallons of diesel. I do not see a downside, not to mention cleaner air!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Mr. Mark is right on. DEF & DPF are two different emission technologies. Even have them on tractors now.

DEF = “Diesel engine fluid”
DPF = “Diesel particulate trap”
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
One great byproduct of DEF and particulate filtering is no soot marks on your TOAD. These systems put out clean exhaust. I have had a DEF coach for almost 3 years with no issues.

Interesting trivia.... the exhaust gas on todays Diesel is cleaner than the ambient air of Los Angeles.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowmemperor View Post
These exhaust systems caused some serious issues in diesel pickups a while back. Most of that has been resolved now. And most were due to the DPF. I am not aware of, and would venture to say the problems are less likely to occur in a larger diesel motor home. More to go wrong is a correct assumption, but again, I think the kinks have been pretty well worked out. I wouldn't let that get in the way of getting what you want.

Absolutely correct. Every manufacturer had to find the magic formula for NOX and PM (particulate matter). All new engines are working well and MPG has exceeded those of pre tier II engines.