Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 07:54 PM   #29

You know your son. I think you can trust your instincts here. I would check my insurance and be sure all is covered. I added a brother in law on a 21 day trip as a driver and it cost me something like 300.00. I thought that was excessive. I have an umbrella policy just because I have a motorhome. I could screw up. Its fine for us old guys to say we drive 18 wheelers at age 5 and drove boats all over. Just my opinion, roads were less crowded, better drivers, no break checkers and crap like that. No jet skis flying around crowded lakes. Hungry lawyers on every corner advertising to make a sui out of nothing. To me the world has changed a bit since I was young. P & C insurance agent in the day. I saw a lot.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2023, 10:08 AM   #30
Commercial Member

just make sure he is on the rv insurance. make sure he understands that he is totally responsible for all damages, shake his hand, give him a hug, say, i trust you, and hand him the keys.
he already knows the routine of no wild parties, keeping the coach clean and undamaged, and taking care of himself. beyond that, its a matter of trust.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:41 PM   #31
tcg

You know your son better than us but sounds like he's ready to go. Let him.

I would not have let me use the family anything when I was young but our daughter(and husband), in her late 30s, is welcome to anything we have.

They have no interest in driving our Class C but I have offered to set it up anywhere they want if they want a vacation, they both like camping.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:05 PM   #32

To trust or not to trust, that is the question.

I had the same delliama with my grandson when he graduated high school. Here in the south that means a trip to the beach for a weekend bash, no parents. He wanted to take a group of friends and use the beach house. We didn't know any of the "friends". I told his mother, my baby girl, He could use it but she had t go supervise. He wouldn't agree to that, so no more problem. My house, my rules. Simple.
Wayneq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:08 PM   #33

Sounds like a fine young man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntre View Post
My son turns 21 in July. He's been driving my truck since 16, probably not too long after that has been towing the 22' ~5000 lbs boat + trailer under my supervision.

He drove about half of our 4000 mile camping trip out west two years ago, and again shared driving last year when we visited the Smokies.

He backs the camper in campsites just fine and is a huge help executing both the arrival and departure checklists, often taking care of the tasks with just him and his girlfriend (who's been camping in travel trailers with her family for years) because he wants to make sure he can. His idea.

The camper is a Snow River 288BHS. It's 32.5' hitch to bumper.

They'd stay within a few hours of where we keep the camper for their first trip.

What would you guys do? Have you had the same question and what was your response?

My stomach is in knots. My wife and I know he's more than capable. But we're just not quite sure where we're at yet.

We're grateful for any wisdom shared.
I drove and pulled my dad's boat every chance I got growing up. Like a "lifetime boater". Same with my son. He drove offroad since he was 4 years old and learned safety and responsibility with every experience. He eventually used and took care of one of my boats so much that he came to me one day and said "Dad... it's time to put new outboards on the 20 year old World Cat." I said "Go ahead"! He did and I gave him the boat. Never regretted it and he has had two tons of fun with his friends and family. It still looks new today due to his TLC. He just borrowed my motorhome last weekend to take his daughter to a horse competition. Brought it back clean and full of gas. As others have said... you know your son and his level of maturity and responsiblity. The way you describe him, I think he's ready.
Outlaw 38MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:40 PM   #34

As mentioned, make sure your insurance covers him in this situation. I would also make sure that where he’s going has cell coverage in case there is a problem. Lastly, it depends on who the friends are and what they plan to do.

My step-son was never interested in RVing as that was a parental thing. However he changed his tune somewhat after coming down with Covid after a Europe trip and had to isolate from his fiancée in a 1 bedroom apt. I set up our motorhome for him and it was a quite comfortable quarantine.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I’d let him roll. He’s at a good age and looks like he’s paid his dues.
YES! I was 59 when I first towed a travel trailer and I was a complete beginner and on my own my first time out. Let's just say I made a few mistakes. I didnt die. The young man in question is way better prepared than I was.
DRAGN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:12 PM   #36

Sounds like you already know that he can handle it. Make sure, then double sure, that insurance is OK. Depending, I would think that when he turns 21 it may affect his status on your insurance for both the truck and camper.

I trusted my youngest son (in his 30s BTW) with our Motorhome during a period I knew we couldn't use it. I knew he was capable of driving it, and I figured he would keep it up. What I hadn't counted on was him taking it to motocross parks, and then letting his friends go tromping through it without removing muddy shoes/boots/whatever. The carpet never did recover. Disappointed, and won't happen again.
You know your son, do you know his friends, and is he willing tell them no?
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:03 PM   #37

Some kids grow up with responsibility. Some just grow older. What have you and your wife taught him for the 21 years that you have had with him. If trash goes in, trash will come out but if you have taught him to be responsible, he should make a responsible adult. There are many folks older than your son that I would not trust with a box of cracker jacks, but there are lots of farm and ranch kids that tow livestock or other trailers every day responsibly.
I was 19 when my bride and I got married on September 2. We left on our honeymoon as soon as the snow melted 3 days later, towing a 30-foot trailer (our first home) with no problems. Were still towing multiple trailers after many years.
If you and your wife don't trust him, don't do it. Common sense and responsibility should be the deciding factor. Just remember who pays if something gets torn up or wrecked.
Good luck
Red Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:25 PM   #38

Let go and let him go for it!

From you description, he is obviously capable and you know if he is responsible. Worrying about you kids will never end, but it get easier with every successful step they take. Get this step over with!
Wjdarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:36 PM   #39

Son is most likely capable .............biggest concern would be the 'friends' and peer pressure
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:12 AM   #40

Some of the larger RV dealers have driving classes. Have him take one of those classes. See how he does with a third party and have them score him. Most of the time it is a two person class. Have his girl friend be his partner.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:48 AM   #41

There's an old saying "nothing parties like a rental/loaner." I wouldn't loan my RV to anyone.
2024 Brinkley G 3500 #39
2017 F450
Always in the Dawg Haus
MKwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
I started driving a tractor at 6. Because I was to small to throw the hay bales.

Wow, does that bring back memories. They used to let me drive the tractor and trailer while the adults picked up the hay bales. Once I got older, I got kicked off the tractor and had to sling bales. I much preferred driving the tractor!
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, trailer