Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #1

Damon Tuscany gfci problem

I was having an issue with my GFCI tripping every time I use the vacuum cleaner. After close inspection I found this. I have only RV for three years put 10,000 miles on it I never had an issue. But I have to think that this was done at the factory the load wire was touching the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB074A97-223B-45DE-84E4-CBB0885BB8CF.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	346675  
jamesdean65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
After 10000 miles of bouncing around, it could have been just enough to get things rubbing. Do you by chance ever plug a portable heater into that outlet? Many have found poor wiring in their coaches and the outlets are far from high quality/durable units.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #3

I have plugged in a portable heater in the living room area which is on the load side of this GFCI.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean65 View Post
I was having an issue with my GFCI tripping every time I use the vacuum cleaner. After close inspection I found this. I have only RV for three years put 10,000 miles on it I never had an issue. But I have to think that this was done at the factory the load wire was touching the ground.
Greeting, Jamesdean65, welcome to iRV2.

From your pic it looks like the installer used the captive wire terminals rather than the screw down terminals. It's faster but less reliable because it has less contact area with the wire.

The damage was caused by heat, which came from the resistance created by a loose connection. Could be from vibration or simply not installed correctly.

Good find, too! Trim back the damaged wire, replace the GFCI and use the screw terminals. Extra points for adding a dab of No-Ox. Torque to spec.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Greeting, Jamesdean65, welcome to iRV2.
Trim back the damaged wire, replace the GFCI and use the screw terminals. Extra points for adding a dab of No-Ox. Torque to spec.
While I agree with the remainder of this response, after 40 years in electrical repair work I see nothing to be gained by using No-Ox there. It is for use when you have aluminum wire to copper or something of that sort.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #6

Trimmed up all the wires put a single lead to the ground, installed a new GFCI electrician seems to think it was a loose wire.

Tags
damon, problem, tuscany