Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Danged expensive lawn ornament

I didn't fully appreciate what a PITA buying a coach in another state from a private party is.

We made a decision to buy over a month ago. It took three weeks to get the banks to move the money to the proper parties. There is no such thing as a temporary tag unless you buy from a dealer, so I was only able to transport the coach to our home two weekends ago. It has been sitting for over a week now waiting for the title to arrive here so I can go stand in line at DMV. I don't expect to see the title arrive for at least another week.

In the meantime, Irene makes her presence known and I could not legally get the coach on the road to head to calmer pastures.

But, it does look good sitting beside the sticks and bricks.

Just needed to vent. Carry on.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #2

It is crazy how long things like that take. I hope you receive the title soon. In the meantime, let's see a picture of your new rig.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 AM   #3

Dad gummit Marine! I wish we had talked earlier....I bought from a private party but used a local RV dealer to process the paperwork - including printing out a temp tag I took with me when I flew out to Colorado to get the coach. A few weeks later, the plates came in the mail. Their fee was $458 beans. Also, they worked the financing so I could get the best rate possible as the banks (I think) consider private sales more risky than dealership sales. One advantage I had was that the previous owner was holding the title.

That was just my experience; some aspects were a bit of a pain-in-the-shorts...like my current project of cleaning and rebuilding the house battery bank, load testing, figuring out the inverter, blah, blah, blah...

Hang in there and hope Irene didn't treat you too bad. Oh yea, send some photos! Take care.
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #4

paper work

Private sales are easy in TX
Buyer pays seller
both parties then go to either the sellers or buyers local tax office

for a vehicle being registered in TX, both parties should go to the tax office, which will need the following to complete the transaction: Bill-of-sale, original title, TX form 130-U(title transfer form), buyers proof of insurance, current TX safety inspection(completed TX VI-30A form if the vehicle is from out of TX), and a weight ticket(CAT scales). Buyer pays tax office the sales tax and reg. fees. The tax office people will make sure all documents are filled out correctly. They will hand the buyer their new registration paper work, reg. windshield sticker, and new metal plates. They will mail the paper work to TX DMV, and about 1 month later the title will be mailed to the appropriate parties. This takes less than 30 mins. Buyer is legal to drive their new MH anywhere immediately

For vehicles being reg out of TX: TX safety inspection not required, buyer pays a fee for a temporary(30 day) plate, if vehicle is currently reg in TX, buyer/seller fills out form VTR-346 that notifies TX that the vehicle is being sold to an out of state buyer. Now the buyer has 30 days to get to their home state.

We hope this helps
Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here in California the tags stay with the vehicle - the previous owner signs the title and hands it to the buyer, and the buyer hands over the money and drives away. The seller has 10 days to file a Release of Liability with the DMV, and the buyer has the same 10 days to file the signed title and a Bill Of Sale with the DMV, at which time the buyer gets to pay the taxes due on the transaction. A few weeks later the buyer receives a new title, with his name on it, but the tags are still valid in the meantime (assuming they were valid before the sale)...
Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You can buy up to a 96hr temp tag here, but usually not needed. Otherwise the same as above: sign title, give cash...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Being from California as well, the 10 day period works real well, but if you go to the wrong office you may have to spend the 10 days standing in line and if the clerk knows what they are doing that is another plus. We can get appointments but waiting on the phone uses up most of your 10 days as well. We then have to pay sales tax on the purchase price and get a smog certificate and if purcased out of state a VIN verification you get the picture.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
In 2007, when I lived in Boise, one could buy a vehicle,
tape the hand written bill of sale in the back window
and drive away. Good for 2 days.

Here in Wash. State a 3 day temp is 30 some dollars.
OUCH!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick w View Post
In 2007, when I lived in Boise, one could buy a vehicle,
tape the hand written bill of sale in the back window
and drive away. Good for 2 days.

Here in Wash. State a 3 day temp is 30 some dollars.
OUCH!
Then there's the sales/use tax too. But at least that's better than it used to be. In 2000 our '98 Santara Type A MH (new cost 98,000) was OVER $2,400 just for the yearly tags!!! Now our 2002 DSDP (new cost over $210,000) is only about $170 a year. In fact part of why we ordered the 2002 was because it was more affordable after the license fee cut.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey leatherneck... Adapt and improvise. In VA we can get a transport tag. On my coach the dealer messed up the title so I was able to negotiate a tag if I paid the sales tax and they gave me a registration but flagged it pending title.

I hope all is well with your new coach.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Being from California as well, the 10 day period works real well, but if you go to the wrong office you may have to spend the 10 days standing in line and if the clerk knows what they are doing that is another plus. We can get appointments but waiting on the phone uses up most of your 10 days as well. We then have to pay sales tax on the purchase price and get a smog certificate and if purcased out of state a VIN verification you get the picture.

Don
Do you remember when California did not impose Use Tax (sales tax) on vehicle sales between private parties? Prior to about 1960 that was the case, and then our state wanted some more of our money and changed the laws.
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michigan gives you 3 days to get a newly purchased vehicle home (or to the DMV for plates) without registration but you must go directly there (one or the other) by the most direct route, no side trips. (except perhaps a hotel parking lot for the night if it's more than one day away)
Old 09-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I was finally able to make a respectable gal out of her yesterday. The title arrived by fedex and a couple of hours later I was attaching the new plates on her. Now I can do something besides look at her.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
person to person in AZ= no sales tax
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote