Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 10:53 PM   #1

Dare I Use Tow Mode

2014 Thor Ace 30.1 on a f53 chassis, we pulled a small fiat. Pretty small ! My question is I've never push the towing button even though I am towing. Went over Raton pass a few days ago. Which always slows this unit down a lot. If i had pushed the towing button what would have been different? I've seen the Titan motor rev as high as 5,500 rpm, I mean screaming!
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 11:02 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
The Tow button on the Ford changes the shift pattern, mainly for downhills, and slowing. If you have it in tow, and are driving flat, take your foot off the throttle, and hit the brake, the trans will down shift, if within the shift parameters. Same for going downhill. It will downshift to help hold the speed.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:32 AM   #3

The difference would have been the high RPMs down hill.

Tow/Haul will not lower your RPMs but it will keep you from riding the brakes on the down hill side of the trip.
If you find your speed increasing as you head down, with Tow/Haul on, a tap on the brake will cause a downshift.

The higher RPMs help slow the rig down. Each tap will cause another downshift up to a limit. They won't let let you overspend the engine.

It can get costly and dangerous to ride your brakes. They can overheat and fade away.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #4

Thank You, I thought it would be more to shifting as I got up a step hill so I don't lose momentum and slow down. Like I said going up Raton it was revving good and then someone pulled in front of me and it has to let off , then we were crawling and trany wouldn't down shift.
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #5

it also unlocks the lockup converter, it shouldn't be in lockup mode when towing anything very heavy.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
it also unlocks the lockup converter, it shouldn't be in lockup mode when towing anything very heavy.

Jay D.
That's not true. The lockup converter is always in play, even in Tow/Haul.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #7

It may be different for different manufacturers but I was under impression tow mode also locks out overdrive.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #8

If you're towing with your motorhome, I would put it on all the time. It'll change the acceleration shift points, as well as doing a better job downshifting, and saving your brakes on downhill runs. I always use it in the motor home, and my pickup truck, when I'm driving in the mountains. Once I get to a flat area, then I turn it off.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
It may be different for different manufacturers but I was under impression tow mode also locks out overdrive.
I've never seen a tow mode that did that. My motorhome and Ram pickup still have overdrive in tow mode.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #10

Tow/Haul
Extends up shift points....stays in each gear longer
Downshifts when braking/decreasing speed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

The higher RPMs help slow the rig down. Each tap will cause another downshift up to a limit.
I have an F 350 dually, and a Thor Omni (built on the F 550 chassis). On both, a second "tap" is not necessary to continue the downshifting in tow/haul mode. Braking in general will make the trans continue to downshift to aide braking. But it will not allow a downshift that would over-rev.
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I've never seen a tow mode that did that. My motorhome and Ram pickup still have overdrive in tow mode.
Must have been a jeep thing.
They were notorious for the transmission.
Well so was the ram trucks there for a while.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
Must have been a jeep thing.
They were notorious for the transmission.
Well so was the ram trucks there for a while.
The Ram 8 speed ZF transmissions are absolutely awesome. I never drove the older ones so I'm not familiar with them. The 3.6 liter pentastar V6 is also an excellent engine. Really pairs well with that 8-speed.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Tow/Haul
Extends up shift points....stays in each gear longer
Downshifts when braking/decreasing speed
Old-Biscuit is correct; changes shift patterns up and down. Also, does not affect Overdrive.
Since I am always hauling a motorhome, and most of the time also towing a Jeep; I only drive in Tow/Haul mode. And I've heard a lot of people say that is the recommended mode of travel for the F53.
It is optional, but I would strongly advise, as others have above, to always use Tow/Haul going down mountains. Makes sense going up also.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow