Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dash Cam

Just thinking - after a recent involuntary contribution to a small CA town. I got to wondering about the dash cam and telling LEO about it at the same time we show Texas CC license. Thought began with "don't think I missed THREE speed limit signs." Next time, what if I say "here is our CC license and btw our dash cam is on and it has a voice recorder." Now LEO knows I can show proof of signs, overgrowth blocking sign etc. and will have a voice recording of our conversation. Might even be required in some states to advise LEO that conversation being recorded.
What do y'all think?
My bad luck that day was had dash power problem so dash cam was not on.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would not advise them of dash cam at all as you would be in danger of losing your dash cam!

burfurd
Old 10-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Post signs. Then there are no questions that go unasked or answered on that subject.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Security Notice.gif
Views:	647
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	47891  
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I think they are a great idea. Not only for the situation the OP stated, but also for any accident that may happen in front of you.
Just wondering why they would be "lost" if the LEO was told about it. They use them in their patrol cars all over the country, and nobody takes theirs.........
Old 10-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've come around to also thinking they're a good idea, but no to debate with LEOs on the side of the road.

If you receive a citation which you feel is unwarranted then you can use your evidence to fight it in court... although it's a real pain if you're out of state and just passing through.

Putting myself in the position of the LEO, I think I would feel as though I'm dealing with a real wise guy if he opened our conversation with "you're being recorded". I also doubt that any state laws require that a LEO be notified that they were being recorded during a traffic stop.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

I fail to see the primary benefit unless it records the coach's speed at the same time. You could put a GPS display in front of the camera, that way you'd have the time, the speed limit, and your speed all visible, if the camera resolution is good enough to read it all.

Maybe some of the euro dash cams put all that data on the recording.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I fail to see the primary benefit unless it records the coach's speed at the same time. You could put a GPS display in front of the camera, that way you'd have the time, the speed limit, and your speed all visible, if the camera resolution is good enough to read it all.

Maybe some of the euro dash cams put all that data on the recording.
There are indeed a number of dash cams that have integrated GPS data. I have been looking into them but haven't convinced myself one way or the other as to whether or not it's a purchase worth making.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:16 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I just ordered one. I think they are a good idea. I am not sure if it has the GPS or not. I'll have to check that out but we have a GPS anyway.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not reveal my use of a dash cam to either another motorist nor LEO. Let someone know they are being recorded and you've tipped your hand. You can never tell when the other party might have a change of heart and re-tell the story differently after they have gone home and given the accident some thought. I see the cam as a guardian angel, not to be disclosed on-site unless absolutely necessary to the LEO as a must-have determination of fault. Otherwise, it's a silent witness to what occurred; reserved solely for court use.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #10

How often will it save you? How often might it be used against you? Some have them for "protection" from scammers.

A dash cam may catch the one that pulls in front and slams on the brakes, but not the ones that fake the collision via intersection intercept or the fake side swipe. You would need cams forward, left and right.

I have not been able to find any statistics on this type of fraud.

There has been a lot of media hype and video sensations about it, but is this a scare tactic?

Seems that the incidents are in large cities with heavy traffic, and many in Russia and the UK.

So, what are the odds? Where do they happen? Have any iRV2 members been victims, or know any victims? I dont know any victims.

I sense that I do not drive where this happens. Perhaps a sign "Dash Cam On Board" is enough?

Many folks admit that dash cams are just neat toys. I find this to be the best answer.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Depending on what you are willing to spend, dash cams can record date, time, speed, and abnormal events.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
video and audio recording

Just a note: many states do not allow cameras to have microphone if they are recording. In fact, it is required to ask permission to record a conversation. take for instance the person stopped by a policeman and after states that "hey man, I recorded everything you said." well that person is subject to arrest. some persons have been found guilty when the video recorded a persons arrest with their cell phone and then presented this to the court. when it was reviewed they heard voice recordings incriminating the officer but it was thrown out do to these same laws that protect us of "entrapment".

those same laws provide us with warning such as, speed check electronically or speed check by air craft. or Speed zone ahead or solicitors need permits.

I am in the alarm business for over thirty years and although not an attorney do advise my customers to protect them from the "other side".

if you do record someone always ask permission and have them agree to the permission on the recording device. Notice of cameras on location are now a way of life and all activity is sent through the legal and HR departments before prosecution.

Is a dash cam a good choice - absolutely- is it a legal device - depends on the device and the recording algorithms. not all digital recorders meet the criteria.

la dagobago 36 DP
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #13

In the wonderful state of Idaho it is legal to record video and audio if one of the party's know it is being done.

So if you are recording someone as you talk to them on the phone and you know that you are doing it, then its legal! Duh.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
According to recent US Circuit Court decisions, it is perfectly legal to record audio and video of police officers performing their duties in all 50 states.

However, there are cases pending of people arrested for doing so and being charged with obstruction. Personally, I can't see how the officer could make such a charge stick while using a dash cam during a traffic stop, but I guess one could arrest you for anything they could think up if they are determined enough.

Hopefully, you would get a magistrate or a judge who wasn't ignorant of these recent rulings, but if they where, you might be in for a tough fight and out a lot of money in attorney fees and other legal costs.
There are many articles covering these recent decisions, I have linked a few below, but an internet search will reveal a lot more, these a re just the first two I came across.
Supreme Court Inaction Boosts Right To Record Police Officers

Supreme Court Gives Nod to Citizens Who Record Police, Amidst Reports of Multiple Arrests
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash