Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #15

dexter...um...yea...we headed for a monster collapse.. it's in the charts.. and gonna make 2008 make like a walk in the park. no joke.
Nomad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #16
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad69 View Post
Got unlimited Verizon plan for me? lol.
Sure.

Keep dreaming.

Seriously though, I believe technomadia may have some tips on how to acquire an unlimited plan. It's not cheap to get. And, Verizon may change/kill off that plan at any time. So, there is a risk and a cost. You get to decide if it is worth it for you. You might simply get a pre-paid plan to start, then carefully track your usage. I just keep a log of how much data I added and when. Then, you may decide an unlimited plan really isn't needed.

Best of luck!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #17
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another option that I have read about may work if you are going to stay at one campground for an extended period of time; say a month or more. The campground may have cable TV wiring at your campsite. You could contract with the cable company for Internet, TV, etc. I have never done this, so I do not know if this is a good idea or not. Someone else here may have more info to offer.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad69 View Post
will a wifi booster help?
I have a Wifi Ranger Elite kit in my rig. Waste of money so far. I've yet to stay at a campground whose wifi made connecting worthwhile. Meanwhile, the parks that have high speed internet charge an additional premium for it over their standard service, yet they all tend to be in larger markets where I have no issues using the hotspot on my phone. Since I have 15gigs of tethered data service through the phone each month (unlimited through the phone, 15Gb available for tethering) I tend to just use the phone.

The issue you're going to face will be a lack of reliable connectivity as soon as you get away from major cities. As others have pointed out, the most reliable route will be through the cellular networks, and you're still going to be somewhat limited in where you can go while maintaining a good data connection.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #19
Community Moderator

are you talking about day trade? forget it if you are relying on rv park wifi for trading because it's all about speed. but if you are a seasoned investor/trader, you might be ok with it. i have a grandfathered unlimited plan with verizon. i have never run into issues as i have not been in a deep forest for long and i don't trade daily.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #20

Do you guys use a Omni or directional line of sight connection for your camp ground wifi?

Omni=whatever..

Directional=
Nomad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Another option that I have read about may work if you are going to stay at one campground for an extended period of time; say a month or more. The campground may have cable TV wiring at your campsite. You could contract with the cable company for Internet, TV, etc. I have never done this, so I do not know if this is a good idea or not. Someone else here may have more info to offer.
I do that during the winter months while in FL. The cable service down there is great, they totally cater to snowbirds. You keep the equipment during the off months and a day or two before you get back, you give them a call and your stuff just works when you arrive and plug it back in.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote