Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #15

As far as I know, all used vehicle dealers go thru trade in vehicles for any paperwork not supplied from the factory and destroy them. I've never known a dealer who would routinely disclose previous ownership papers and records. My last motorhome was sold while my wife and I were still moving our junk over. The sales guy came and asked if I would speak with the new owner but he wouldn't even give the guy my name without my permission.

What do you think a good lawyer would do to the dealer if the new owner figured out the used vehicle was junk and decided to take it out on the old owner based on something the dealer disclosed?

I doubt that the previous owner is a matter of public record as someone suggested. Unless you are law enforcement you have no way of accessing vehicle registration records and if you are law enforcement you need a valid reason to access the records.

I hear folks talk about service records but I always wondered where they would get such records. I change my oil when I should, put a new little sticky note on the windshield and that's about the only records you'll find of my maintenance.

I've bought 9 motorhomes and several travel trailers and sold as many (well 1 less than I bought). Nothing ever had any kind of service records and all were good units. If you know how to look at and buy used vehicles then service records aren't worth much. Even if they were they'd be pretty easy to fabricate.

If you buy from an individual that's a different story.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #16

When ours goes, every manual and receipt will go with it, including a diagram of the spare tire lift. There will also be a few pieces of paper stuck hither and yon with our names and phone number incase the next owner has questions.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I would seriously question whether the RV had damage or repairs the dealer didn't want a potential customer to know about. When we traded in our 2001 Adventurer we gave the dealer all the maintenance records. The new owner even gave us a couple calls asking for some details.
If that was the case the dealer could just pull those records out and no one would be the wiser.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another reason to but from a private party instead of a dealer...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Another reason to but from a private party instead of a dealer...
The private party could do the same thing. Not that I had any damage but when I sold one of my trucks the person I sold it to didn't ask for service records so I didn't provide them. Part of the reason is some of the service records were in the previous owners name and I didn't feel comfortable handing that info over.

If the person would have asked I would have removed the personal info. They didn't ask so I didn't bother.

I had a Geo storm with a Lotus Esprit engine in it. The engine receipt went with it so they had a record of the engine that was in it because it wasn't the original.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #20

The next owner bought our MH because of the service records.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Happens all the time, with cars.

We special ordered a 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited for my mother in law. ......
Last year, we traded it for a new 2018 Jeep Cherokee. It had roughly 35,000 miles on the odometer. The dealer did not want any of the records.
The reason the dealer did not want the records is most likely because the dealer was gong to turn it in for auction.

The whole idea of destroying service records seems odd to me. There is a general clearing house for service records. I bought a used Mini and looked up the service records before I bought it. Not only did it have dealer records, but also had records of being serviced at Pep Boys twice.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
The reason the dealer did not want the records is most likely because the dealer was gong to turn it in for auction.

The whole idea of destroying service records seems odd to me. There is a general clearing house for service records. I bought a used Mini and looked up the service records before I bought it. Not only did it have dealer records, but also had records of being serviced at Pep Boys twice.
So what is this general clearing house? Carfax?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

It's not fishy - it just the practical way to comply with privacy laws and pretty much the norm these days. Obviously they could redact Id and financial info from the records, or ask the previous owner to sign a release along with whatever documents he leaves with the coach, but that takes extra effort and leaves them exposed to lawsuit or fines if the miss something, so they take the easy way out and destroy everything left behind.

I had a similar experience at the Freightliner factory service center on my used coach (it was 2 YO when I bought it). They had records for it and could tell me what was done and when, but I wasn't allowed to actually look at the computer screen or get a printout because it had owner name & address as well as dollar cost info. They apologized, but would not let me peek. [I asked questions and took notes]

This is yet another case of unintended negative consequences from a law that Congress and privacy fanatics thought was a totally good thing! Big Brother's protection is too often stifling!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #24

I'm a service advisor at a car dealership. If the customer that owns the vehicle wants their OWN service records, we can reprint them, but they have to come in in person to pick them up and show valid ID. we aren't allowed to mail them or email them, even if the email address is the one we have on file.

Giving service records from a previous owner is not authorized at all.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #25
Commercial Member

thats the way some dealers, service centers, and mfgs do it. there are a lot of arguments for both ways. there is a liability of giving out unauthorized records, redacted or not.
some previous owners dont want to be bothered with the new owner trying to get himself educated. i sold a coach to a private party in 2008. i did an in depth pdi, and a 4 hour delivery with the owners. i provided a 30 day extended warranty at my expense.
i provided the operators, and service manuals for everything. within two weeks, i bet i got 50 phone calls on how does this work, or did i ever have trouble with this.

there is a lawyer out there somewhere that would capitalize on an undisclosed major repair, even if the dealer didnt do it, or know about it.
ive dealt with that once, with a california coach.
so in the end, good practice or bad, it happens. there are ways to find the previous owner thru the vin number. but he may or may not be happy.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Daveinet.......I also would be interested.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It's not fishy - it just the practical way to comply with privacy laws and pretty much the norm these days. Obviously they could redact Id and financial info from the records, or ask the previous owner to sign a release along with whatever documents he leaves with the coach, but that takes extra effort and leaves them exposed to lawsuit or fines if the miss something, so they take the easy way out and destroy everything left behind.

I had a similar experience at the Freightliner factory service center on my used coach (it was 2 YO when I bought it). They had records for it and could tell me what was done and when, but I wasn't allowed to actually look at the computer screen or get a printout because it had owner name & address as well as dollar cost info. They apologized, but would not let me peek. [I asked questions and took notes]

This is yet another case of unintended negative consequences from a law that Congress and privacy fanatics thought was a totally good thing! Big Brother's protection is too often stifling!

Hi Gary-

Can you point me to the statute laws (federal) that govern release of prior ownership or repair information for motor vehicles?

While there are lots of laws and regs regarding release of personally identifying information about school students, medical patients, adoptions, etc, I've somehow missed any specific laws that make releasing maintenance records subject to *criminal* prosecution. Your help is appreciated.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
So what is this general clearing house? Carfax?
Not specifically, but Carfax uses it. The last time I got my oil changed, the shop said they report to some particular service but I can't remember the name. They stated that the service they report to is used by Carfax.

Tags
dealer, service