Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stony30 View Post
I have a general question I'd like opinions on please. I purchased a new Diesel Pusher last fall and have taken a few small trips. Less that 600 miles. I took the coach to the purchasing dealer for some warranty work before our first "big trip". Repairs went fine and no payment was required. When the wife and I went to pick up the coach we found it plugged up with the heat off. Everything was froze like a brick, even the water in the commodes. The dealer was aware that the unit was not winterized and needed the heat on. Here is my problem, they claim that since they had to send it to Freightliner for a steering alignment, it's thier problem and I would have to seek payment for damages from them. That in the meantime I'd have to pay for the repairs, which today are a little over $2000, and then get the monies owed from Freightliner.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? I really feel that they are responsible and had total "Care and Custody" of the unit. I mean, even after they brought the unit back from Freightliner the dealer did not even turn the heat on, just plugged it up. For a unit with less than 3000 miles on it I feel a little unloved here.

Any ideas or comments are appreciated and welcome.

Thanks

Was your Aqua Hot damaged? I have read that a frozen Aqua Hot usually can't be fixed, but must be replaced.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Hi. Sorry to read of your issue. No disrespect intended, but if it were me in your situation, I would have either winterized before taking it in or made darn sure it was addressed instead of assuming and hoping someone else did. No one will look out for your coach more than you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
It is a good idea to winterize yourself or pay the dealer to do it.
stony30
I agree with both raineman and timetogo, (but that is of no help to you at this point).

I'm sorry to say methinks if the dealer refuses to do anything for you may be out of luck.

An attorney's advice, (and perhaps a law suit), may be your only options.

However before resorting to legal action... (which i very much doubt would be successful).. I suggest you contact your insurance company to see if the insurance you payed for covers freeze damage.

IF it does they should fight the fight for you.

I wish you luck...(but that is of no help to you either).

Sorry

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with others... need to know exactly what "MADE CLEAR" entails. Was it a verbal statement to the service manager, technician, .....who. Or was it in writing on the work order. Makes a big difference.

A verbal can be disputed and unless you have a witness who will verify this actually was verbalized, I'm afraid it will come down to....I said....he said... or I never heard that statement.

if indeed it was written on the work order, as mentioned previously, you need to find out if that info was passed on to Freightliner....also in writing or just verbalized.

Good luck....

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #18

Update ??
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #19

At of this morning I have been told that they the dealership, are covering the costs, not Freightliner because they declined. It's been aggravating to say the least. I do have emails back and forth from before delivering the unit to them for the warranty work explaining the need for the heat, so I think that is what helped.

It's been a very big learning curve for the wife and I. If I ever have service work done in the winter again, it'll be winterized before I take it to the dealer.

As for the aqua hot question, as far as I know since I have yet to take delivery, it's working. It was working fine when I got everything warmed up and took the coach back to them. I hope it still is.

The wife and I are going east this weekend and picking it up and staying overnight to check things out and then and only then will we bring it home.

Thanks for all the input, it's been very, very helpful.

Thanks again,

Stony
stony30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stony30 View Post
At of this morning I have been told that they the dealership, are covering the costs, not Freightliner because they declined. It's been aggravating to say the least. I do have emails back and forth from before delivering the unit to them for the warranty work explaining the need for the heat, so I think that is what helped.

It's been a very big learning curve for the wife and I. If I ever have service work done in the winter again, it'll be winterized before I take it to the dealer.

As for the aqua hot question, as far as I know since I have yet to take delivery, it's working. It was working fine when I got everything warmed up and took the coach back to them. I hope it still is.

The wife and I are going east this weekend and picking it up and staying overnight to check things out and then and only then will we bring it home.

Thanks for all the input, it's been very, very helpful.

Thanks again,

Stony
Thanks for the update, looks like things are working out for you. Just make sure the Aqua Hot isn't leaking any water, I think that is where damage from being frozen would appear.
Jerry
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #21

Photos and documentation with clear language showing what happened and them taking responsibility.

If a warranty unit then be certian warranty still valid...That means contacting the manufacturer and having them provide letter as such and that is on the dealer.

For aqua hot contact them asap and have them give advice for covering your butt.

Would assume there is a process for pressure testing the system so be sure that everything is tested and proven good before leaving.

If in warranty then have dealer work with aqua hot to certify it.

You do not need a weakened unit to fail 2 days out of warranty or 2 states away in warranty but warranty voided by this event.

Tags
dealer