Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
Tom, exactly but the problem is... call a Manufacturer and try to get them to provide you with that it is almost impossible from what I have dealt with.
Try Newmar, they provide the sheet complete with base price and then list the options, again with prices, then you can ask for and get special options done also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Our dealer was only too happy to provide us with the options price list contained on the manfuacturers letterhead.

IMO dealers could be altering the information but would be liable for Uttering False Documents.

As well check out the MSRP on Wikipedia. The manufacturers have already "got their thumb on the scales" so heavy that the 30% discount is likely the actual price.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #17

Are you trying to purchase at a no-haggle price?
If the dealer is at or near the market price point, this is good. Otherwise that is the point where negotiation begins for Me. My ears burn for a long time if I leave money on the table.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #18

I'm a little confused with this post too, every car, truck , MH we have ever bought had an MSRP attached to it or one the dealer provided. On the MH we just bought, the dealer showed us the msrp, along with everything that was added to the base model and we did our negotiating from there.

Swampdog, I'm not sure what you mean by all dealers are the same price, the deal we worked with our Dealer was several thousand less than the closest other dealer, and ours had more options than most of the others too. MSRP is MSRP and the dealer cannot change that, they can add for anything they have done/added or if they really don't care about getting your business inflate the price with some sort of surcharge, but the MSRP will remain the same from the manufacturer. It is then up to the customer to negotiate what they feel is a fair price, or go to a different dealer. But if every dealer of a certain make MH is discounting the same percentage, that is not price fixing, that is what profit they feel they have to make, and there is always some dealer who will negotioiate to get yor business. If you get too where "everyone's price" is similar or too much then you have found the bottom line and should look for a less expensive model. Like said before you need to look beyond where you live to get the best deal for yourself, and if the local dealer wants to beat or match that, it's their decision.There were many dealers said we could not buy the MH for what our dealer was selling it for, but that is/was a bluff as my MH is sitting in my driveway, and I have the paperwork to prove the deal I got.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #19

MSRP is Manufactures SUGGESTED Retail Price.

I think the OP needs to do some better 'shopping' and stop worrying about "price fixing" as it is not true.

We ended up ordering our current rig from a dealer in San Diego after our local dealer at our home base in Reno would not come close. Same options given to both dealers but saved $7,000 and gladly made a nice road trip when it came in.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #20

Really ?
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #21

Dealers price fixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
I guess I didn't state my case very well , but I have looked all over for a new rv annd no matter where I look ! All the dealers internet and the 5 local ones have the same price always a jacked up list price with the same discount and it always turns out to be same price ! Dealers will not and are not discounting there units one dime they all are getting the real list price and I call that price fixing , there is no compitition between dealers FOLK!

The final price has to start somewhere, and in your case the pricing you "see" is only a number.
THAT is NEVER the price to pay!
THAT is where the negotiations can begin.
THAT is where some folks start bidding wars between dealers.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #22

We are from calif and we purchased our coach In Indiana, due to no dealer in calif would go down on there price. Search the web we did. You will find the right one for your price.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #23

MSRP's are just relative. The markup at one manufacturer is not necessarily the same at another manufacturer.
And who's to say that every RV dealer is offered the same wholesale price on a RV? Does the industry commonly offer a dealer placing large numbers of orders a lower price than a small dealer just ordering one or two units? Will a manufacturer offer a better deal to a dealership just selling their brands of trailers?
RV's are not the auto business. RV's are a 6 month business while autos are sold 12 months out of the year. Business expenses are comparable, however. A medium size RV dealer sells 50 units a year where a medium size car dealer sells 50 units per month. There's no $100 over invoice deals coming out of a RV dealer if they intend to be in business for the long run.
When buying a RV, you've just got to investigate competitive prices, and use the telephone and internet to compare. It's just not that hard to figure out who's the most competitive in pricing on any given unit. It just takes a little work--to save a buck. Just about every region has a dominant dealer willing to earn your business through better pricing.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its called negotiating. Salesperson wants to sell at the highest price and get a larger commision and higher profit for the dealership.
The last RV I bought had an MSRP of $115,000 and I paid $84,000, $31,000 less than MSRP. Negotiate.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #25

Dealers price fixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Its called negotiating. Salesperson wants to sell at the highest price and get a larger commision and higher profit for the dealership.
The last RV I bought had an MSRP of $115,000 and I paid $84,000, $31,000 less than MSRP. Negotiate.

About 27%. Not too bad! In normal discount range.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #26

AZ bound... are you available next week....LOL Good for you.. One thing I found is with a dealer they have to sell a unit, they don't keep these things like collectables it is like you said finding that common ground!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #27

my point is you can go anywhere in the country and get a dealer to take 27 percent off ,they all advertise it , and what i have come to think
is the discount they all offer is the real MSRP and they will not budge from that. IT'S LIKE THEY ALL GOT TOGETHER AND DECIDED THEY WOULD MARK THEM UP JUST TO MARK THEM DOWN AND TELL YOU YOUR GETTING A DISCOUNT . MAYBE I'M CRAZY BUT IT SURE SEEMS THAT WAY TO ME !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
my point is you can go anywhere in the country and get a dealer to take 27 percent off ,they all advertise it , and what i have come to think
is the discount they all offer is the real MSRP and they will not budge from that. IT'S LIKE THEY ALL GOT TOGETHER AND DECIDED THEY WOULD MARK THEM UP JUST TO MARK THEM DOWN AND TELL YOU YOUR GETTING A DISCOUNT . MAYBE I'M CRAZY BUT IT SURE SEEMS THAT WAY TO ME !

MSRP is Manufacturer Suggested List Price.
Dealers list a price that is lower than MSRP. It does not matter what it is, and calling it a "discount" is purely sales jargon.
The dealer list price is a starting point for negotiation and no more...unless their price is accepted (YIKES!!!)
They will do MORE than "budge" from that starting point. If they say they won't, it is just words to get the buyer to give in. Make a counter offer and be proud enough to walk away! You will be surprised at how many will hollar "WAIT"

Tags
dealer