Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #1

Dealership and hitches

We purchased out trailer on Saturday, won't take delivery until mid-February. Our salesman tried to pressure us into buying their WDH. We did not bite, we are getting the Andersen. BUT, they did say that legally they have to install the ball onto our truck AND will charge us an hourly rate of 135(labor) for doing so! Do you know if this is indeed the correct information. We beat them up pretty hard for the price on our trailer. Husband was in the auto business and knew all the tactics.
If this is not the case, or you know where I can research, call or check into this, please provide information.

Thanks!!
Lissaboillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissaboillot View Post
We purchased out trailer on Saturday, won't take delivery until mid-February. Our salesman tried to pressure us into buying their WDH. We did not bite, we are getting the Andersen. BUT, they did say that legally they have to install the ball onto our truck AND will charge us an hourly rate of 135(labor) for doing so! Do you know if this is indeed the correct information. We beat them up pretty hard for the price on our trailer. Husband was in the auto business and knew all the tactics.
If this is not the case, or you know where I can research, call or check into this, please provide information.

Thanks!!
Ask them for a reference that "legally" requires them to install the hitch. I think a lot of us would like to know what that is.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Where are you located?
I’m calling BS on the dealer. Never heard on that!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #4

Denver, CO. Dealership is in Longmont
Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #5

I agree with Bennie, looks like this dealer is less than honest.

If it was me I'd put a stop to the deal and ask for clarification. If it isn't true that they have to install the ball I would take my business elsewhere.

If they have lied to you about this they will continue trying to take advantage.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #6

We left a deposit, but they want more down...so if this is indeed the case, the amount will be adjusted. What governs them? Their must be a regulatory agency that oversee's
Old 01-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

We just purchased a car here in Yuma and I refused to pay their $495 doc fee. The sales manager told me the Az DOT required them to charge the fee! I thanked him and walked away. Had a call accepting our offer within the hour. I'd declare BS on the hitch install. It is possible they want to inspect your hitch to avoid your claiming liability on their part later on. That however should be a complimentary inspection IMO. I'd tell them thanks but either you have a contract or you don't. No add ons after the handshake.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
BUT, they did say that legally they have to install the ball onto our truck AND will charge us an hourly rate of 135(labor) for doing so!
Hogwash! He may worry a bit about his insurance company and liability, but there is no such legal requirement. You just show up at the dealer with the ball mount already on your truck, no different than if you were trading one trailer in on another and already had a hitch.

Who, though, is going to install the WD brackets on the trailer? And adjust the ball height and spring bar tensions when the trailer is first hitched? If you are expecting him to do that rather than yourself, you should expect him to charge for that service. Otherwise, bring your wrenches and plan on an hour or so of labor.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #9

I have bought two tailers in Oregon the last 2 years. Showed up with my own hitch both times. They sat up the hitch correctly both times for me and didn't charge. Sounds kind of fishy.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #10

You could also ask other dealers in the area.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 AM   #11

Gary, this is exactly our plan!! We need to do this ourself anyway!!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #12

I got a good deal on my RV and a good deal on my trade in last August. But that was the only thing I liked about the dealer. They offered to sell me a WDH, but I passed. I will be buying one off Amazon next month before we do any camping this year.
But this thread reminds me of one other nice thing that happened at the dealer.
I needed to go from a 2" to a 2 5/16th" ball. The adjustable wrench I brought wouldn't fit the nut on the old ball, so one of the techs swapped the balls for me!
But that really was all that I liked about the dealer!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissaboillot View Post
We left a deposit, but they want more down...so if this is indeed the case, the amount will be adjusted. What governs them? Their must be a regulatory agency that oversee's
I hope that your deposit is refundable.

There is nothing like the feeling of getting jacked around by a dealer after the sale. "Oh, I forgot" doesn't cut it. That isn't the only trailer like that that the company built, is it? Sometimes you just need to walk, and likely when you do they will change their mind. If not, their loss. Since your DH was in the racket he should know that game.

And the same goes for asking for more deposit. They agreed to it, they can live with it.

Tags
dealer