Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #1

Dealing with minor illness on the road?

I am at home right now, laying in bed feeling blaaahh, recovering on my 3rd day of some minor flu like bug. Today, while I am feeling a much better than yesterday, I started thinking, how would I handle such an illness if I were traveling, particularly if I were traveling solo, which I do about 1/3 of the time.

So I thought I would get your thoughts on how you handle illness while traveling, such as at the first sign of symptoms, would you potentially relocate to perhaps a more populated area, assuming you are camping somewhere scenic, and get some warning that you are coming down with something....?

Anyway, I think I am going to try to get some sleep now, and hope I will be up to the Thanksgiving family holiday event tomorrow.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I am at home right now, laying in bed feeling blaaahh, recovering on my 3rd day of some minor flu like bug. Today, while I am feeling a much better than yesterday, I started thinking, how would I handle such an illness if I were traveling, particularly if I were traveling solo, which I do about 1/3 of the time.

So I thought I would get your thoughts on how you handle illness while traveling, such as at the first sign of symptoms, would you potentially relocate to perhaps a more populated area, assuming you are camping somewhere scenic, and get some warning that you are coming down with something....?

Anyway, I think I am going to try to get some sleep now, and hope I will be up to the Thanksgiving family holiday event tomorrow.
I don't ever solo, but this is the exact reason I have told my wife she needs to be able to drive.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
I don't ever solo, but this is the exact reason I have told my wife she needs to be able to drive.
Very true.

For a minor illness if you're solo just stay put for a few days.

As full-timers we've dealt with serious issues of cancer and various surgeries such as knee and shoulder replacements. It can be done.... just like in a house. There are doctors and hospitals everywhere and sometimes you can even go to the best ones in the country.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Go to a more populated area? No. UNLESS I knew that I didn't have enough supplies for 3 or 4 days. Then MAYBE I would move, for sure I would drag myself and go get supplies before the feeling really icky. To me, there's no reason to be in a more populated area just because you have flu (or whatever). Having people around won't make you feel any better, and it could just be annoying. (You know, you'd end up by the cigar smoker who sits by his campfire all night with the lights blazing and the outside TV turned to it's highest volume, while watching his dog wander around without a leash going potty wherever it pleases. ).
Old 11-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #5

Just make sure that you have common medical supplies in your rig, just like you do at home. I am surprised that so many people don't even carry a first aid kit in their rig! If need be take a few days to recover before hitting the road.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #6

" . . . the cigar smoker who sits by his campfire all night with the lights blazing and the outside TV turned to it's highest volume, while watching his dog wander around without a leash going potty wherever it pleases."

Hey! I know that guy! I camped by him a couple times this summer! He must really get around.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #7

On a more serious note . . .

Lots of those who are solo'ing are older guys, who are into that stretch of life when aches and pains can actually be precursors of worse things developing. Brings to mind a friend of mine, who lay in his bed fighting off a cold, which wasn't really a cold but a kidney issue, and he lay there so long that, by the time it occurred to him that he needed help, he couldn't get up to get it. (That's when he called me.)

This is why it's important to be able to contact someone - anyone - if you ever get to that stage yourself.

So, I'd just add to the list of things we all need - we need good cell phones, we might even need boosters and antennas depending on where we stay, and it never hurts to have people with whom you stay in contact who might worry about you if you're silent for a week.

I'd go so far as to say that, if you're boondocking somewhere remote for a period of time, you should have your GPS coordinates written down and handy so that if you need to make that emergency phone call, you can direct the responders to you.

It's only paranoia if they're not really out to get you.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
On a more serious note . . .

Lots of those who are solo'ing are older guys, who are into that stretch of life when aches and pains can actually be precursors of worse things developing. Brings to mind a friend of mine, who lay in his bed fighting off a cold, which wasn't really a cold but a kidney issue, and he lay there so long that, by the time it occurred to him that he needed help, he couldn't get up to get it. (That's when he called me.)

This is why it's important to be able to contact someone - anyone - if you ever get to that stage yourself.

So, I'd just add to the list of things we all need - we need good cell phones, we might even need boosters and antennas depending on where we stay, and it never hurts to have people with whom you stay in contact who might worry about you if you're silent for a week.

I'd go so far as to say that, if you're boondocking somewhere remote for a period of time, you should have your GPS coordinates written down and handy so that if you need to make that emergency phone call, you can direct the responders to you.

It's only paranoia if they're not really out to get you.
Don't travel alone. Find a good woman. Perhaps a retired nurse practitioner. Problem solved if she can also drive and cook [emoji7][emoji23]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We use what ever facilities are in the area we in as needed.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #10

When I was still doing that dirty 4 letter word called "work", I was 1000 miles from home in a rural section of Vermont on a 12 month assignment. Suddenly I got something in my eye. The pain was excruciating, so bad I couldn't open my eyes to be able to drive back to the office. I called the office and they immediately sent out a coworker to find me and get me to a eye doctor. The doctor referred me to a surgery center to locate and remove the object. I had two eye patches to keep my eyes from moving for 3 days, and I wasn't allowed to drive or fly for 10 days.

After I got back to the hotel, my coworkers, who I had just met a week earlier, brought me meals and checked up on me multiple times, and drove me back and forth to doctors appointments. The hotel employees helped me with my personal wash and they kept the room and dishes clean. I even had offered to help me with showers

I guess I say all of this to say there are a lot of good people out there willing to help if you need it. The campground office would be a good place to start to ask for help.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #11

Maybe people should think of this forum as one resource if their health takes a bad turn on the road.

If you can't get into your driver's seat and get to hospital, and there's no one you can call, perhaps come here and post "I'm at (xxx GPS co-ord xxx) and need medical help."

Think of it as backup. Someone's bound to be nearby . . .

Old 11-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Maybe people should think of this forum as one resource if their health takes a bad turn on the road.

If you can't get into your driver's seat and get to hospital, and there's no one you can call, perhaps come here and post "I'm at (xxx GPS co-ord xxx) and need medical help."

Think of it as backup. Someone's bound to be nearby . . .
Well said Bobby.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #13

I keep over the counter medications of various kinds readily available in my bathroom cabinet for cold and flu type symptoms. I also keep some general antibiotics for sinus infections when need be. Amoxicillin works wonderfully for sinus infections. Anything more serious than that needs a doctor or urgent care facility.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:15 AM   #14

I've been lucky so far and not had any significant illness while RV traveling. How I'd handle something like that depends on the kind of illness, where I am and what kind of treatment I might have on board. Not sure there is a "good" answer that would apply to most scenarios.

Another solo RVer and I exchange good morning texts every day. If no response by lunch, a phone call is made. Like in Boy Scouts, use the Buddy System.