Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

Decal removal problem

When we purchased our MH from a professor at Nebraska, it had a 4x4 inch "N" decal by the entry door grab handle. Our son-in-law graduated Nebraska so we left it on. After a couple of years, it began looking kind of rough so I took the heat gun to it and scraped it off. I was left with adhesive everywhere the decal contacted the gel coat except under the "N". "Easy", I said, "clean it with [solvent]." So far I have tried Goo Gone, naptha, acetone, charcoal lighter fluid, xylene and one from a decal shop that smelled kind of like xylene---all with zero positive results. Did this adhesive 'soak into' the gel coat? I can feel a slight roughness in a couple of spots but mostly it is smooth. We are thinking our last resort is another decal over it if no one else has any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #2

Man you tried alot of serious solvents. I would've been afraid to use some of those on my MH and mine is older. Don't know if it soaked into the gel coat but if it did you can probably smooth it back down by wet sanding it. I had a bunch of caulking smeared all over the hood on mine from the PO. I used mineral spirits. It took a little work but I got it all off. It got some of it off and the rest was softened so I could scrape it off with my finger nail. No evidence left on the paint either. You might also try brake cleaner or carb cleaner but I would try mineral spirits first.
Good luck.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had good luck removing the adhesive left behind after removing the vinyl decals on our motorhome by using plain old unleded gasoline on a cloth. Yes I know its flammable, but so are some of the things you have already tried in removing yours.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #4

That's the truth. xylene in particular is probably just as flammable or more so than gasoline. I'm sure every solvent that would be needed to remove goo is extremely flammable so go to town just be very careful with whichever you choose.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
You might try soaking it down with WD-40. I've used it many times to remove adhesives. Works good then just clean off the residual
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
My situation is not quite the same, but the solution may be. Have a custom decal made to place right over the area! My mh had "shadowing" from where the previous decals were, and I went to a sign and graphic shop to have my own decals created. Take your favorite family photo and use it as an introduction to you folks! Possibilities are endless!
kmesaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I heard of a product called Vinyl Off that works. Never used it myself. Acetone doesn't work? Thats scary

Have you tried your heat gun and some plastic razor blades on this stuff?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #8

When I purchased my Roadtrek it had the usual marketing crap on the back of the unit which I immediately removed.

I used GraphXoff to remove it all which worked great.

You just brush it on, let it sit 15 minutes, and with the soft scraper push off the offending vinyl. Now this was on a painted metal surface, so I would test a small area first on your gelcoat.

Gelcoat can and will absorb anything with a moisture content as I learned from boat, so in your case, it may be in the actual gelcoat at this time.

Try www.graphxoff.com
Old 04-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #9

I just re-read your post and I think that using the heat-gun to initially remove your sticker caused your problem.

If you really want to restore the area, you may have to grind down the damaged area, re-gelcoat and re-paint.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #10

i had some adhesive on my toad that acetone would not touch. gasoline wiped it right off. just be careful and have plenty of ventilation
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #11

I have seen professionals remove decals and 3M film from motorhomes with the use of steam. Very similar to the small hand steam "gun" used to remove wrinkles from clothes.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #12

Sounds like the gel coat has been etched by the old decal as o/p said. The only cure is covering with another decal or refinishing. Good luck
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #13

WD-40, gasoline and mineral spirits--nada. It appears it has soaked in or was baked in by me so new decal it is. Thanks for all the info.