Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
Nay-sayers beware! Been running deer whistles on my POV's (and rigs) for many years. Option of "don't drive at night" doesn't apply when you are the one responding to the wrecks. Do they work? I believe in them. They are NOT intended to "scare" deer, etc. away. They are intended to alert the beasts of approaching vehicles. I have witnessed a small herd of deer grazing on the side of the road. Cars fly past, they graze. I get closer, they stop grazing and look around. Can I prove they work? Nope. Will I continue to invest the $5 that *may* afford some protection/defense? Absolutely. Feel free not to use them - fewer distractions for the deer - maybe they will be more inclined to notice my approach. I'll still slow down! ST
I tend to agree. I've used these for many years back when I was on the road a lot and in particular, a lot of night driving. I too have witnessed deer alongside the road that just stood there, ears perked up while I drove by.
I know a number of other drivers without whistles that have had deer jump out from the ditch in front of the vehicle or even into the side.
Fortunately I have not had such an encounter when using the whistles and used to do close to 100K per year.
So, for what they're worth, I have them on the coach and the toad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Been living in the Ozarks for a few years. During hunting season we harvest 2,500 deer in my county.

Most people here believe they help, but during rut season all deer are unpredictable. Biggest danger is at dawn and dusk.

I had deer whistles on my last truck, but my diesel seems noisy enough without needing them. Deer look up hearing the diesel.

For $5 how much can you loose. Have them on my wife's car.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
4 pages on the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of deer whistles... What could anybody say at this point that hasn't been already said... And who cares?
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
4 pages on the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of deer whistles... What could anybody say at this point that hasn't been already said... And who cares?
Four pages, I guess somebody must care.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Been living in the Ozarks for a few years. During hunting season we harvest 2,500 deer in my county.

Most people here believe they help, but during rut season all deer are unpredictable. Biggest danger is at dawn and dusk.

I had deer whistles on my last truck, but my diesel seems noisy enough without needing them. Deer look up hearing the diesel.

For $5 how much can you loose. Have them on my wife's car.
Funny you should say that. We have many deer around our property,and when they see me they run. BUT if I am on my diesel tractor I can about drive right up to one and climb on his/her backs! They just stand there and I can get in real close. They are not the least afraid of the tractor. If I shut the engine down, off they go into the hills.

BUT then again it is a .....wait for it, wait for it.....John Deere tractor!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #48

In the highway department we did a study on deer/vehicle incidents, reviewing records and noting trends. Ever wonder why Deer signs are placed where they are?

Anyway, during one study we asked the law enforcement agencies to note on their reports if the vehicle that hit a deer had deer whistles on them or not. After a year, we concluded it did not make any difference.

We tried installing a specialized deer reflector along the roadway in test sections. These reflectors were designed to shoot beams of headlights all around as they bounced from one reflector to the next as a vehicle drove down the road. The theory was the deer would be startled into freezing, thus allowing the vehicle to pass unharmed. Great idea....but the conclusions were the reflectors did not reduce our deer/vehicle impacts along the test section.

In another section we tried cutting grooves in the pavement, thus making a noise as the vehicle traversed the grooves and making the deer freeze. The report showed no impact on the deer/vehicle collisions.

The bottom line was these devices MIGHT work if, we could just educate the deer and explain what to do when they encounter these devices. But until that day comes......
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #49

I was at a local body shop about four years ago where they had a DP in with a crunched front cap...$10G just for the cap and installation.
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #50

This is the bumper I installed after the last deer accident.
I haven't hit one with it yet so it must deter deer also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170128_132416-1600x1200.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	150772  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

This. While I will agree, if hitting a white tail doe it might not be as bad due to small size and weight, the vibrations that hitting an object can make could cause seals to break, plastic to crack, windows to crack, momentary steering jitters, plus if it goes underneath your MH as you ride along.. those boney legs would do serious damage to brake and fuel lines, propane lines, and would snag any and all wires imagineable. The newer the coach, the more wires in most cases.

The only animal I will not make an active attempt to avoid is a chipmunk or other small rodent. I will move if I can do so safely for rabbits+. Even small creatures will at the very least make a mess.

I run one of these on my rig. They are extremely helpful.

I run one of these on my toad, 2014 ford edge.

I live in moose country. I have avoided 2 moose because of seeing them early on the suv, and 1 on the MH on our trip out east last summer.

For a couple hundred bucks, how much is your life worth? Wife, kids, pets?
Any pics of the lights installed? I have a 2008 38J.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
This is the bumper I installed after the last deer accident.
I haven't hit one with it yet so it must deter deer also.
Nice Truck!

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #53

I know what a wolf whistle sounds like. It does get attention, but rarely good attention.

I do not know what a deer whistle sounds like.

Strikes me, that if you choose to go without, and a good looking doe goes by, how can you let her know you appreciate what she looks like?
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #54

I said it before- *even if* deer whistles startled/alerted deer, the bigger problem is their completely random evasion tactics. So go ahead and alert all those deer you can't see, and see how many randomly run into your vehicle.

Expecting rational behavior from stupid, irrational animals is, well, irrational.
akaJimbob is offline   Reply With Quote