Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I think of an all electric coach I think no propane. Aqua hot fired by diesel for heat and hot water, residential fridge and induction cook top. That's really a bummer about the aspire as that is a coach I like as well. I think it defeats the point of having an aqua hot in a way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
The Tour and Ellipse now are using HWH levelers and only Power Gear slides.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #17

Just have Entegra swap the Aqua Hot in the Aspire for Diesel if they won't do it we probably would.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Just have Entegra swap the Aqua Hot in the Aspire for Diesel if they won't do it we probably would.
That and IFS is the main difference between an Aspire and an Anthem. Approximately $80K in MSRP. Entegra doesn't do custom work. They standardize to keep their costs down. How difficult would it be to swap?
Jlowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fencebuster's wife here. When we were researching our new coach, I was pretty sure there was no way we would go all electric. While researching, I also read over and over again that Newmar would custom build your coach for you so if you want "all electric", they should provide it.

We've only had this new unit for a little over a month, but I'm really happy with the electric. I am a major cooker/baker. Use gas for my cooktop at home and electric for baking. Extra burners, the whole nine yards. Thought about the gas cooktop and oven in the motorhome (which was gas) and that it wasn't very quick like the one at home. I've been amazed how fast induction gets things going. You can cook by temperature as well, so it reminds me of the variable control I have on my home gas cooktop. Very happy with it. If I want to use gas for anything on the road, or the generator goes awol, we can hook up our gas grill. We do have to bring a couple small gas bottles for that, but they are easily found, if needed. Used my gas oven in our last moho about 4 times in 5 years. Love that we have a dishwasher now. Will definitely use that more than I did the oven. Have the Aqua Hot diesel and now I know why all of you Aqua Hot folks love it.

The induction pulls between 8-12 amps so you are right that you wouldn't be running that on battery. So efficient though that I'm not spending valuable time heating to proper temp. It is almost instantly there.

I always considered myself a purist but I think I will get the hang of this. Go for what you want. Get those Newmar folks to provide the awesome motorhome that you love!
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #20

Swap would not be hard to do the 400 LP uses the same wiring as the 450D same plumbing as well you would need a fuel pick up and return added to the tank. About 4 hours to swap the units out a couple hours to run the fuel lines. Not sure what cost would be to finish out the compartment the LP tank would no longer be in. I will talk to my sales manager and see if we could get one with the stuff deleted. Other wise you would have to find a buyer for the LP unit but my bet is there are a lot of gas owners that would love a Aqua Hot.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If you are buying new, just tell Newmar to leave out the propane tank and gas stove......(that is unless they will agree to do the cooktop swap).

The induction cooktop is only $424 from Amazon. Should be an inexpensive mod
after the fact.
They actually list an all electric option for at least the Dutch Star DP. It's option 5J550 on a DSDP 4375 and is $4,245. Gives you a Maytag 22 cf refer, Flush induction cooktop, 4 extra batteries and a 2800W SW inverter. Deletes the propane tank and the batteries are on a slide on the drivers side near the front.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowers View Post
From looking at the Phaeton build sheets, an all- electric option is listed, but there is no mention of replacing the gas stove. However, I did see an Allegro Bus with an induction range at the Pomona RV show. I'm pretty sure that I saw a Phaeton with one as well. Bob was there too (what a nice guy ) I didn't think to ask about this issue then, but just as well because he nearly had me ready to buy a Bus then and there.

The Newmar dealers tell me that an electric range uses a lot of energy and that you have to be hooked up to shore power to take advantage of it. I don't really plan to do any serious cooking anyway; what I wanted to do is to get rid of the propane tank. Besides, it should just be a matter of available amp-hours. That's why I wanted the extra batteries. I do believe that they wanted to sell the coach on the lot (or at the show).
The double burner models I've seen run on 120 volts and only take 1800 watts so they would run off the inverter/batteries which would account for the 4 add'l batteries that Newmar installs.
http://www.trueinduction.com/DualBurnerSetInCounter.aspx
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Make sure the OEM water heater is gas/electric, then operate on 120v. only. Have them leave the gas stove out, then retrofit whatever you want.

Side note, if you're young enough to be thinking of resale value...

You might let them do the gas plumbing anyway, at least the interior part. A lack thereof could be an issue for the next owner.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
We're in a 2012 American Coach Revolution. (Made by Fleetwood) Everything is electric. Two inverters. Diesel/electric aqua-hot. My reasons were same as yours when shopping three years ago.
dfchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our coach was built late 2010 and is all electric (no LP on board) and we love it. We gained and extra storage bay where the LP tank would have been. Ours came with a "regular" electric cooktop but I believe the current ones are now using an induction cooktop (and I'd opt for that if at all possible).

In everyone of the "all electric" threads we'll hear from someone that knew someone that had a friend that heard about a guy...that had some kind of system failure in their all electric coach. LP systems can develop dangerous leaks, there's been a lot of publicity about LP refrigerators that cause fires and complaints about poor performance of LP ovens or furnaces. Do I bring this up to dis any of these systems, absolutely not. We've owned 8 RVs, 7 had LP systems which, 99% of the time, worked as intended and designed (although in 35 years of RV ownership we have experienced all of those failures, except the fire - although we did have to replace a very expensive LP fridge due to failure). I mention this only to bring the thought process back to reality. Anyone of us can experience a system failure, regardless of what make, model, year, design...

Buy what makes sense for your intended use of the RV. For some that will include an LP system, for many others the all electric option fits the bill perfectly.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote