Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Definition of an "all electric" coach

What is the definition of an "all-electric" coach?

My thinking was two-fold.
1.) The coach had to have the ability to run all of its major systems off of electricity.
2.) The coach had to run off of a single fuel type.

Following this logic, I have been looking for a coach that uses a diesel hydronic heater, a residential refrigerator, an induction range and extra batteries to help reduce charge time. However, Newmar dealers have been trying to persuade me that the gas stove is a better idea. It seems like a small thing, but I wanted to eliminate the propane systems and use the space for extra batteries. The Tiffin Phaeton claims to have an all-electric option, but they use gas stoves as well. Entegra has an induction range and a residential refrigerator, but the Aqua-Hot for the Aspire is propane, defeating the purpose in my opinion. The luxury Newmars and Entegras seem to get the idea, but they are out of my price range.

Does anyone else see an issue here? It seems like a small request for someone willing to pony up hundreds of thousands of dollars for a motor home...
Jlowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #2

Before anyone jumps on this...

Extra batteries for extended power time....
Old 10-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

[QUOTE=Jlowers;2272057]However, Newmar dealers have been trying to persuade me that the gas stove is a better idea.

The Tiffin Phaeton claims to have an all-electric option, but they use gas stoves as well.[QUOTE]

Been researching for a new coach extensively. A true All Electric doesn't have a propane tank or gas stove. Phaeton's real all electric option has a induction stove top. If you've seen Phaeton's, or Newmar's for that matter, with a gas stove, they are not "all electric". They're probably one's they've ordered to put on their lots for display/sales.

You should get more responses from experienced members, but I am curious about one thing. What are the Newmar dealers saying when they try to persuade you that the gas stove is a better idea? An RV gas stove (propane vs. natural gas) does not cook the same/as well as the one at home. Could it be that they're trying to sell you a Newmar off their lot as opposed to getting one via special order?
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Community Moderator

If you are buying new, just tell Newmar to leave out the propane tank and gas stove......(that is unless they will agree to do the cooktop swap).

The induction cooktop is only $424 from Amazon. Should be an inexpensive mod
after the fact.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Here it is

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413481557.398911.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	76705
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #6

Our Ventana is all electric but minus the induction cook top. I'm not sure any cook top will run off battery only and believe that you'd have to run the gen or be on shore power. We have a residential fridge and extra batteries for it.

We have the Oasis system and so far, all we've used is 1 A/C for heat & hot water and have had plenty of both. We haven't had to turn on the diesel burner. Yet.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definition of All-electric coach is no propane tank. NO propane ANYTHING.

All stove tops, ovens, heaters and such are electric, That simple.

And not a coach I would care for cause I like to cook and there is a reason they say "No you're (or We're) cooking with Gas"

never hear 'em say no you're cooking with electric, but if that's you you want, You are welcome to it.

(To be honest I do most of my routine cooking with electric but if I need to do SERIOUS cooking gas is the only way)
Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowers View Post
What is the definition of an "all-electric" coach?
My thinking was two-fold.
1.) The coach had to have the ability to run all of its major systems off of electricity.
2.) The coach had to run off of a single fuel type.
Newmar dealers have been trying to persuade me that the gas stove is a better idea. It seems like a small thing, but I wanted to eliminate the propane systems and use the space for extra batteries. The Tiffin Phaeton claims to have an all-electric option, but they use gas stoves as well. Entegra has an induction range and a residential refrigerator, but the Aqua-Hot for the Aspire is propane, defeating the purpose in my opinion.
Does anyone else see an issue here? It seems like a small request for someone willing to pony up hundreds of thousands of dollars for a motor home...
Jlowers
IMO in an "all electric coach" EVERYTHING in the house would be powered by either batteries, solar, shore power or the genset....If anything, (except the engine and genset), is powered by gasoline, diesel or LP it is in reality an "ALMOST all electric coach".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #9

From looking at the Phaeton build sheets, an all- electric option is listed, but there is no mention of replacing the gas stove. However, I did see an Allegro Bus with an induction range at the Pomona RV show. I'm pretty sure that I saw a Phaeton with one as well. Bob was there too (what a nice guy ) I didn't think to ask about this issue then, but just as well because he nearly had me ready to buy a Bus then and there.

The Newmar dealers tell me that an electric range uses a lot of energy and that you have to be hooked up to shore power to take advantage of it. I don't really plan to do any serious cooking anyway; what I wanted to do is to get rid of the propane tank. Besides, it should just be a matter of available amp-hours. That's why I wanted the extra batteries. I do believe that they wanted to sell the coach on the lot (or at the show).
Old 10-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #10

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Some really good stuff here. It never occurred to me that you could retrofit an induction range either. However, I don't think that Entegra is willing to swap out an LP Aqua-Hot for a diesel. That's a shame because that was my favorite coach and they priced it right between a Ventana and a Dutch Star. Tiffin did not quite measure up to Newmar price and performance wise. That surprised me.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I don't see the big issue - it's just words. If you want "no propane appliances", just say so to the dealer/seller and tell them its non-negotiable. You need to run the genset or use shore power for things like a/c anyway, so why worry about adding an electric stove to the mix?

Usually an Aquahot runs from either electric or diesel as the system heat source, but they do have a option to substitute propane burner for the diesel burner.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Jlowers,
You can look at the Winnebago Tour or Itasca Ellipse. They are all electric with no propane and have the aqua system.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Jlowers,
You can look at the Winnebago Tour or Itasca Ellipse. They are all electric with no propane and have the aqua system.
Ruled out Itasca/Winnebago and Thor a long time ago. Low grade construction, quality issues and Schwintek slides are all deal killers.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=Bullitt;2272074][QUOTE=Jlowers;2272057]However, Newmar dealers have been trying to persuade me that the gas stove is a better idea.

The Tiffin Phaeton claims to have an all-electric option, but they use gas stoves as well.
Quote:

Been researching for a new coach extensively. A true All Electric doesn't have a propane tank or gas stove. Phaeton's real all electric option has a induction stove top. If you've seen Phaeton's, or Newmar's for that matter, with a gas stove, they are not "all electric". They're probably one's they've ordered to put on their lots for display/sales.

You should get more responses from experienced members, but I am curious about one thing. What are the Newmar dealers saying when they try to persuade you that the gas stove is a better idea? An RV gas stove (propane vs. natural gas) does not cook the same/as well as the one at home. Could it be that they're trying to sell you a Newmar off their lot as opposed to getting one via special order?
Or it could be that they are saying it isn't wise to put all your eggs in one basket. Electrical systems can fail as can Genny's. Had one RV'er tell me a story about attending some kind of car rally where participants basically boondocked in a field for a weekend. The all electric coach next to this guy was running at all times of day and night to keep fridge going, for cooking etc. Don't know if his batteries were weak or what he was running on board (probably some hydronic heating) but the moral was that it was rather disruptive to the other "less sophisticated" RV's that had propane on board. They are probably great when you spend 5 months at one location where you know you are going to have power but less flexible when you aren't sure.