Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #1

Did you regret going from cozy small to bigger?

We have a little GeoPro 19' TT for a family of 4 with 2 teens. Bunks in back, parents sleep on dinette. Bunks are tight, dinette is not super comfortable, so not a lot of sleep while camping.

Looking at a wider 24' Outback double axle with a rear king bed slide and slightly larger bunks. Thinking this will be more comfortable, enhance the camping experience. But it's another $20K.

Not seeing many downsides, but don't want to regret the purchase either. Anyone regret going from a cozy (i.e., small) family camper to a larger one?

Tow vehicle is fine - half ton pickup.
canuckjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 08:22 AM   #2

camper size

Started with a 22.5'

Currently 40'

No regrets.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #3

Started with a truck camper, 15' trailer, 25' fiver, 34' Motorhome and now 40' motorhome no regrets at all.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #4

I would guess that most people starting out in a very small camper eventually goes a little bigger; not an enormous jump immediately from 19' to 40' but what you're talking about is very reasonable.

We went from a tent to tent camper, tiny Scotty trailer, 27' travel trailer, 33' 5th wheel and lastly 40' motorhome. They all suited us at the time but eventually for other reasons we went gradually bigger. We never regretted the 40' but then, at that time we were full-timers. Our various campers were within a span of 60 years so we used each kind for quite a while.

Get the RV that will allow you to be comfortable!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nope!

Went from 25' single slide, where one of us had to be sitting down for the other to go to the bathroom, to a 34' two slide and couldn't be happier.

Getting gas (with the toad hooked up) requires a bit more planning, but that's the only thing that isn't wonderful about the current coach.

Oh yeah, went from Thor to Tiffin. That helps just a bit...

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #6

We went from a 19’ travel trailer to a 32’ travel trailer and now have a 35’ fiver. We ( wife and I) are way more comfortable in the 35’ fiver. Of course we also went from a F-150 Ecoboost to a F-350 diesel for the fiver. Absolutely no regrets moving up in size.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #7

I've never regretted getting a good nights sleep.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
YC1

Only issues were getting into small campgrounds where we lived. But going bigger was more comfortable for sure.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I would try to go a little bigger, at least 28'. JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I’ve been going up in size incrementally and no am in a 40’DP. Looking for a 43’ with 4 slides.

It’s me and 2 cats. Still too small.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I’ve been going up in size incrementally and no am in a 40’DP. Looking for a 43’ with 4 slides.

It’s me and 2 cats. Still too small.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #12

No regrets going larger from tent, to truck camper, 22 ft Minnie Winnie, 24 ft Bayport, and now our 28 ft Sunova that we've had going on 19 years.

Personally, since we don't fulltime, I'd go back smaller if I could. Only thing is, it's hard to find an 18 foot rig that has good comfortable sleeping accommodations and a nice full size shower like what we have now.

OP, imo, sleeping accommodations are most important so the larger rig will be nice for your Family of four. Keep in mind though, that a more robust tow vehicle may be required than what you have now. Fuel mileage will most likely go down, and insurance cost may go up. You'll need extra space to store it as well..
Old 11-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #13

we went from tenting to a very basic sunlite pop up t/c,then to a northstar 850 sc truck camper,a whole lot more amenities,now we're waiting on a cougar 22mls t/t.we're sacrificing remote area accessability and ability to tow our smaller boat so we can travel cross country for extended periods.we invested in a couple minn kota electric fishing kayaks instead of towing the boat.our progression with different modes of camping has been nothing but positive over the years and we don't anticipate regrets buying a t/t.it will serve as a spare suite at our lakehouse when we're not travelling.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #14

Started with a 12' tent. Moved up to a Vintage Cruiser travel trailer. Aint going back.

I never know if I should refer to my trailer as 19' per the model designation or 23' per the actual length from hitch to bumper.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote