Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2021, 01:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't understand comments about "not fitting in campgrounds".
Many, if not most, state parks and forest service campgrounds have pretty restrictive length limits. As I said before, our fifth wheel toy hauler was great when we were boondocking in the desert. But a 42' fifth wheel, being pulled by an F350 crew cab dually (total length well over 50'), absolutely will not fit into a campground like Wright's Beach in California that has a total length max of 31 feet.
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 05:36 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
We moved from backpacks to a 37’ class A DP. For our stage of life (mid 60s) that was a great move. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten a 45’, tag axel bath and a half unit, but we are not going to switch at this point. Maybe in 5 or so years…
Old 11-30-2021, 06:04 AM   #31

To the OP's question, we started with a 26' Holiday rambler TT and now in a 32' 5W with 3 slides, no regrets, except when there is a slide malfunction. Nobody has mentioned this yet, but before you trade up, if sleeping is a big reason, go try out the beds in whatever you are looking at, make sure they will work the way you want. also do the numbers on hitch weight appropriate for your half ton PU. JMHO
Old 11-30-2021, 07:17 AM   #32
YC1

[QUOTE=twogypsies;6001349]I don't understand comments about "not fitting in campgrounds".

Many campgrounds in Calif will not accommodate rigs over 30 feet.

We struggled at many with our 30 ft A. Impossible for our 40 footer now.

Have not run into those issues East of the Sierras.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #33

OP-It sounds like if you stay under 40ft you will be happy lol
Old 11-30-2021, 01:29 PM   #34
PKI

OP - No regrets. The issue with the proposed unit is the King bed slide. A slide adds complexity. Brother had to have one to get a couch. It does not work now and must be manually extended. Any way you can go with no slides is best.

Suggest good bunks for children is a very good plan. Do not get sucked into a proposed solution that uses furniture which must be converted for sleeping. Suggest that queen bed is big enough for two to sleep comfortably.

Cost - only you can determine the expenditure that your discretionary cash flow will support. Personally, I would only upgrade if I could pay cash.

Options - an RV is a shell in which to do your travel. It can be changed to support your needs. Not an option if you do not have the skills, but more than viable if you do have them or are willing to learn. If your tow vehicle has the length in the hauling bed, a nice sleeping berth can be added if there is a raised cover for weather protection. That might give you more options for the upgrade, such as a trailer with twin beds.

Two-ft-itis is real and usually if satisfied, the RV use will increase. Note - simple is less expensive and gives more $s for travel.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Went from a tent to a 2000 35’ Fleetwood Storm….no regrets!
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Like everyone here, I started camping in an army surplus tent. My parents went on to a class C, after the kids were gone. I went to a 37' DP.

Two points:
1) Length roughly equates to maintenance cost & time. Need to keep that in mind.
2) If it were me going to a bigger, newer RV, there is no way I wouldn't get one without at least a couple slides. On a bad weather day, you will REALLY appreciate the extra space.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:55 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
I’ve been going up in size incrementally and no am in a 40’DP. Looking for a 43’ with 4 slides.

It’s me and 2 cats. Still too small.
It's amazing how much room a cat can take up!
Old 12-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #38

We are in a similar situation. Our evergreen 19ERD has enough room for 2 but a more comfortable place to sit when it is too cold outside would be nice. BUT we like the current size, easy to slip in the smaller spaces. So for the mean time we upgraded the dinette cushion foam and made some other minor changes. Nothing on the market got us excited, so for now we will hold.
You need to ask yourself, what aspects work and what don't. Then consider options for the problem areas. Good Luck!
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Like many here we went from car/boat camping with tents and tarps, truck canopies, slide in truck campers, 20'+ travel trailers, couple of class C's etc. Now that we retired and kids are grown we purchased a 36' class A DP. We also "downsized" our home base, but have acreage to park all the toys, so no storage restrictions or fees.
Absolutely no regrets at all. Cozy is fine, but all the comforts of home and spacious beats cozy any day. Never an issue finding a campsite, although the small State Park non utility sites are now not possible. Oh well, gotta settle for FHU bigger sites now. Darn. We are the folks we used to envy....
Whatever works for you NOW is your best option, as long as you get out and enjoy this great country.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Like everyone here, I started camping in an army surplus tent. My parents went on to a class C, after the kids were gone. I went to a 37' DP.

Two points:
1) Length roughly equates to maintenance cost & time. Need to keep that in mind.
2) If it were me going to a bigger, newer RV, there is no way I wouldn't get one without at least a couple slides. On a bad weather day, you will REALLY appreciate the extra space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBaz View Post
Many, if not most, state parks and forest service campgrounds have pretty restrictive length limits. As I said before, our fifth wheel toy hauler was great when we were boondocking in the desert. But a 42' fifth wheel, being pulled by an F350 crew cab dually (total length well over 50'), absolutely will not fit into a campground like Wright's Beach in California that has a total length max of 31 feet.
Another reason to avoid California. Lol.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Another reason to avoid California. Lol.
lol A 42" 5th wheel couldn't even GET to Wright's Beach.

But thanks for bashing CA anyway. We won't miss you.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just placed a deposit on a Outdoors RV Manufacturing 24 TRX Toy Hauler. At 67 climbing over the girlfriend and down off the overhead bunk - no I do not regret going larger. Sharing the 9' truck camper with two girls ( one is a 4' stretched out Main Coon Cat) was getting difficult.
freebird66 is offline   Reply With Quote