Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2021, 07:03 PM   #43

Went from 29’ to 32’. May seem like a small move, but the jump was from a class C to a class A diesel pusher.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #44

Upgrading TT

Our first one was a 60 something Apache pop up. It had one electrical outlet and one inch matresses. Thought we died and went to heaven to be off the ground. Then another Palomino pup up that slept six. Kept our clothes in totes in the truck bed. Kept this five years. Got bothered by condensation with the catalic heater on. Wanted to be a spoiled brat. Got a 25ft. HiLo. Just open the door and go in. Big BR and plenty of storage. Donated the HiLo to a veteran. We now have a 26ft. HiLo. The beds are made more comfortable with custom mattresses and memory foam. Look long and hard for a trailer that will work for you. Possibly used. I agree that your 1/2 ton truck won't work for the ORV that you are considering. They tend to be heavier. Consider that your children will be into many activities/sports. Maybe won't be camping with you as much. Best of luck as you find a TT that meets your needs.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:16 AM   #45

Upgrade

We started with a 30' class C but felt like it had too much wasted space for us. Sold it and tried to find a 24' class C. Ended up upgrading to a 20' TT that we are much happier with. It's been a good way for us (4) to travel.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #46

Me, yes. DW, who won’t drive our Class A, no.
I miss our old Sprinter Class C.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:37 AM   #47

Seems the trend is scaling up. Wife and i went from a tent to a benway style teardrop. We towed
That with a jetta. We then went to a 36 ft tt.
Towed that with a 3/4 ton duramax. We now
Have a 33 ft tt and tow it with a ram dually..
Go figure.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #48

From 26' class C to 40' class A DP only regret it took 15 years to upgrade.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBaz View Post
Many, if not most, state parks and forest service campgrounds have pretty restrictive length limits. As I said before, our fifth wheel toy hauler was great when we were boondocking in the desert. But a 42' fifth wheel, being pulled by an F350 crew cab dually (total length well over 50'), absolutely will not fit into a campground like Wright's Beach in California that has a total length max of 31 feet.

I just returned from a few days at Wright's Beach (lucked out with some beautiful weather). I would confirm the rig you describe might be pushing it.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:37 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
We have a little GeoPro 19' TT for a family of 4 with 2 teens. Bunks in back, parents sleep on dinette. Bunks are tight, dinette is not super comfortable, so not a lot of sleep while camping.

Looking at a wider 24' Outback double axle with a rear king bed slide and slightly larger bunks. Thinking this will be more comfortable, enhance the camping experience. But it's another $20K.

Not seeing many downsides, but don't want to regret the purchase either. Anyone regret going from a cozy (i.e., small) family camper to a larger one?

Tow vehicle is fine - half ton pickup.
Welcome!
Floor plan is important.
Seems like the majority are going bigger.
Bigger can require planning ahead as the bigger the RV gets it seams like the fewer the camp sites.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:31 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I just returned from a few days at Wright's Beach (lucked out with some beautiful weather). I would confirm the rig you describe might be pushing it.
It is a very nice venue, and we hope to stay there again if we can get reservations some time.
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
lol A 42" 5th wheel couldn't even GET to Wright's Beach.

But thanks for bashing CA anyway. We won't miss you.
Been up and down Highway 1 many times with the toy hauler; drove right past Wright's, knowing that we couldn't get in there. Lived here in Nor Cal for almost 70 years and had no intention of "bashing". Just pointing out that EVERY RV is a compromise. And actually, with the amount of money I spend here, yes you will miss me!
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 01:51 AM   #53

I've owned a 1962 Coleman 9x10ft cabin tent, 2 1970's cabover campers, an '80s Alaskan Cabover Model camper, a custom self contained sand dragster trailer and now a 30 ft Class A gasser shopping for a 36+ DP. All have them served me well and kept me in my relative comfort at that time in my life. If I had not lost the tent in a ripped off storage unit, I'd probably still use it occasionally, I used it for nearly thirty-five years as it was. I've never had a problem sleeping in any of my rigs, but I always appreciated the comforts provided by my rigs. Now that we have the Class A I will never go back to anything less. I might do a 2 or 3 night Jeep trip with a tent, but the days of a sleeping bag and ground cloth on the forks are history along with low overheads for me and my 6'5" brother. I am tempted to hang on to the 30 ft for a while to use for a couple trips where a 40 footer isn't a great idea though.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #54

Wish the OP would return after his first post to let us know if any of these 53 posts helped.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #55

A little different view

Started with 40’ DP, then 39’ DP, then 45’6” fifth wheel (biggest regret) now a 36’ Super C. The super c was the smallest but they best driving and most comfortable Rv yet. The shortest Rv yet too. I do not have to pull into truck lanes anymore or worry as much about low branches.

Also just putting it out there, if traveling in California, a lot of public camping has under 30’ limit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022 Thor Motor Coach Magnitude RB34 Class C Motorhome (Stock# 13992) 13.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	350673  
Tuscany3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #56

We have gone from tent, to back of pickup, to larger tent on flatbed trailer then a Big tent on ground to 11.5 pickup camper to 18' trailer to 10.5' pickup camper pulling 24' tpd race trailer for toys, rented several class c's pulling tpd trailer to dually diesel and tpd, back to 10' pickup camper with slide pulling tpd, later pulling larger tpd (more toys) to new duramax dually with same pickup camper and tpd, to a 45' Pace American (loved this for 8 years) gooseneck, to a class A 38' over last 40 years. Start full timing in a few months.

Best advice I have is to rent what you are considering and several other models to make sure what you want before laying out the $$