Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had; a 25’ class A, a 28’ class A, a 34’ class A, a 32’ class A and now A 42’ class A DP and love the room it has, 2 adults 2 puppies. In this case bigger is better IMO
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 10:32 PM   #72

Started with single slide tent trailer. Them double slides tent trailer. 24' bumper pull. Now 32 ' jayco Eagle and love it.
DFK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #73

Regret going bigger.

It seems many here are justifying their large camper purchase, and that's great, but large campers don't work for some of us.

We've owned 15 previous campers from 12' to 34' and spend the winter months traveling the southwest. Until Covid we were on the road six months of the year. We also have a great seasonal site .8 mile from our condo in Lanesboro, MN.

A few of our campers bottomed out going through gullies, including our 16' Scamp. We raised our 27' Jayco 5th wheel 4" to avoid bottoming out.

The 34' made it one camping trip. No way was it going to turn to get into a number of sites we enjoy, and we've been in many state/federal campgrounds where the limit was 25'.

In Jay Cooke State Park in Minnesota we watched one idiot who decided that the 25' limit didn't apply to them and they scrapped the side of their 35' camper. At Chihuahua National Monument there are two concrete gullies that we've listened to a couple of over 25' campers scrape their rigs. It sounds like fingernails on a blackboard. At the BLM near Capital Reef National Park last winter there was a fairly heavy rain. Most small rigs made it to the highway, but most big rigs knew better and had to stay until the mud reasonably dried out. A couple were stuck in the middle of the mud road preventing others from passing. I could go on and on.

Everyone has different reasons for their purchase. We want to get away from the huge rigs with their stereos and outside TVs. We want quiet at night and no damn generators (we have 465 watts of solar on the roof and a 100 watt portable). We live outside, not inside, and need the camper for a fridge, toilet, clothes storage, and a decent bed (we're considering buying a Sleep Number RV queen). We don't have a microwave, oven, or tv, but each of us uses a reader. I know of a number of people full-timing in their 13-17' fiberglass campers. They don't understand the big rigs anymore than the big rigs understand their small campers. TETO!

We have a 21' Escape 5.0 that has been modified to fit our needs, carry two folding Tern e-bikes behind the driver's seat of our F150, and an ICE e-trike in the back bed. Last winter we hiked over 200 miles and rode our bikes over 400 miles.

At night we use a BioLite FirePit to cook our meals on charcoal and then throw in a few logs to BS with each other till we climb into bed. We actually use that Biolite underneath our awning in heavy rain. We live outdoors, not inside.

Everyone is different. In no way am I trying to convince others to camp our way, but if you camp in the places we do you rarely see a rig over 25 feet. Just like others here, we're happy with our choice.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Started in a tent have had many types. Never looked back when upgrading as long as you can afford it Go for it! Enjoy ❤️
Robin-lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:33 AM   #75

1. Backpacking tent
2. 16-foot TT with Kia SUV tow
3. 25-foot Airstream TT with Suburban tow
4. 30-foot Minnie Winnie Class C

I do have some regret going from 3 to 4. We traded off all the "hitching up hassles" for more of a get in and go experience, but we are far less mobile by not having a car to drive at the various stops. A TOAD looks to me to be more hassle than i want and i don't really have a place to store it.

I DO love our Minnie and have put tons of sweat and money into it, but I'm considering going back to a TT.
DesertRatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #76

I started tent and car camping before going to a 13' fiberglass travel trailer. Went to a 14' tent trailer so I could keep it in the garage but regretted not having hard sides in rain and cold weather. Switched to a 22' toy hauler trailer with slide and loved the big capacity tanks and cargo carrying for boon docking. Outgrew the garage space but wanted the same overall length, so went to 9' truck camper with slide along with a 20' enclosed trailer. This turned out to be great combination allowing us to take just living quarters or also bring a garage, but the living space was a little cramped compared to we had in the past. Our current setup is an 11.5' truck camper with 3 slides and the same 20' enclosed trailer.

After 40 years, I am on my fourth truck with no current plans to change. All the trucks were replaced to get something more. The first one was replaced to get an extended cab and 4wd, the second one was replaced to get more towing capacity and diesel and the third was replaced to get a crew cab and more payload capacity.

Will we change to another setup later? If our camping needs change, we are not fixated one type or size of RV. Maybe next time will be a fifth wheel or motorhome if we boon dock and visit parks less and instead go to resorts. It's great to have choices and be able to make changes as life goes on.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #77

Spartan Chassis
I grew up RVing in a small crowded trailer. When I got married, we first bought a large tent, then 16 ft TT. Traded it for a 34 ft bunkhouse. When our kids were grown, we downsized to a pop up that opened to 21ft. Hated camping in it. Now we have a 45 DP for just the 2 of us that we love. We're not full timers but "most timers," 8-10 months a year. We would not be using our RV nearly as much if we had gone small. Even a 45 ft RV with multiple slides can feel cramped after a few days of rain. 😀
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #78

Went from
Van and Eureka tent
Truck camper
19 ft Prowler 5th wheel
1996 Tioga class C
2004 Tioga 28R SL
2006 Bounder 35E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingRV View Post
Edit to add: we are also looking at a gas class C as a second rig option: a 29’11” Entegra Esteem 27U, (or the Odyssey version if that’s all we can find). With this rig, we think we can travel without a towed…
That is by far the best Class C @27 ft I have seen since the Tioga SL. Layout is just outstanding with 30 x 36 shower in rear. Doesn't have skirted basement, but the layout is just stunning.

Put a small toad behind that (T-handle transfer case 4 speed manual jeep) "keep costs down" and you are styling big time, (in mid size) category.

Trust me, I have re-sprung the 28-R to a E550, 27 feet is max perfect length, after that, it runs out of brakes.

Now with V-8 and 10 speed trans,,, always in the right gear (power band). I had the lame 3 speed trans & overdrive.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:15 AM   #79

Had Leisure Travel Unity MB. 25 ft. While nice and a class act, the Murphy bed became a bone of contention. I wanted to sleepin/read, she wanted to get up. Also tired of smacking my head randomly. Now have Tiffin Phaeton 40 ft and I feel like I could use length for a runway. Too bad the mileage isn’t same as my 25 ft. Still, no regrets.
StevenN is offline   Reply With Quote