Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, it all breaks down to whether you are a 'camper' or a 'traveler'.

We've been 'travelers' the past two summers, taking long distance five month treks, mostly staying in CGs on a 'nightly' basis. Occasionally, we'll stay in one CG four to five days just to rest up or to use it as a base if the area is interesting. That's when GS's weenie 10% discount shines. On one night stays, it's just too easy to eat up(in fuel) their discount driving three or four miles out of the way. IE...We'll not use $10 in fuel to save $4 in CG fees.

We've had better luck with the 50% PA discount while traveling(Canada & Alaska, not so much)...and that's with playing their 'availability game'. Maybe after next summer when we start using campgrounds as 'destinations', membership with GS will be a viable option for us. YMMV. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #30

I just received my new member offer in the mail yesterday. I was thinking for $12.00 what could it hurt? We plan to doondock and stay in Colorado State Parks and National Parks. It sounds like my $12 would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
We always renew and it always pays for itself. We only regret that we did not sign up for the lifetime option so, so many years ago.
Bill, you can still get the lifetime option, just call them and ask....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
We did not renew ours and one reason was all the junk mail....continually!

We have Passport America and a zone pass for Thousand trails so we do pretty well there.
krnlueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
All anyone has to do is call GS or log on to your account and opt out of the email and junk snail mail. Worked for me I no longer receive either.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, and havn't for four years
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
All anyone has to do is call GS or log on to your account and opt out of the email and junk snail mail. Worked for me I no longer receive either.
But how do you handle it if you are not a GS member, and never have been. Not so much email solicitatins, but almost weekly snail mail from them.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We joined back in 1978, and converted to Charter Life members sometime in the mid '80s. Since it cost us $150 for the Life membership I think we've gotten our money's worth! For many years we never stayed at a GS park because we had our own membership campgrounds, plus Coast-to-Coast parks, but for the past 10 years or so we've been members of a local CS Chapter and often use the discount. We rarely get any junk mail from them - we may have opted out of mailings decades ago; I don't recall.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
But how do you handle it if you are not a GS member, and never have been. Not so much email solicitatins, but almost weekly snail mail from them.

Dieselclacker
Try calling them and explain you are not interested and ask them to take you off their mailing list.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #38
CD

Come on folks. Don't sweat the JUNK MAIL wheather GS or other. It helps the Post Office stay afloat. Also, if you have GS Road service, I think you have to be a GS member.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Come on folks. Don't sweat the JUNK MAIL wheather GS or other. It helps the Post Office stay afloat. Also, if you have GS Road service, I think you have to be a GS member.
If Good Sam had to pay 44 cents to have that JUNK MAIL delivered, quite possibly the Postal Service could manage staying afloat without raising the cost of postage every year or so.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey sometimes the GS junk is the only mail I get. Think how disapointed I would be if I walked all the way to the mailbox and came back empty handed.

Glenn
Old 11-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would not pay my money for it, but since I use their Visa, the points cover the cost. I do not like the junk mail and their discount camp sites are getting less and less. I used it once this year, the magazine is turning into a big catalog instead of and info journal. It is almost as bad as AARP. For me it is free and free is ok...for now.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I get a membership when they have a real bargin for new members then when it expires I don't renew for a year or so then they have another deal where they send a cupon for he price of the membership so I get another one for a year
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote