Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2022, 09:19 AM   #1

Diesel Additives

Would like opinion on RV Diesel fuel additives. Which ones? Do they really 'clean', increase efficiency, etc. I called CUMMINS technical support and they said they couldn't recommend for 'liability reasons'. Likewise, the head technical at Foretravel passed on giving me a recommendation.
nbaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2022, 09:24 AM   #2

A couple of "should do's" when it comes to diesel additives:

If storing summer grade diesel over the winter (below freezing temperatures), add an ANTI-GEL. PS brand stocked at Walmarts, etc.

If storing diesel over 2 months in the summer or 3 months in the winter, add a BIOCIDE such as Biobar JF to prevent algae growth. AND, fill the fuel tank while stored to reduce condensation.

Other than that, up to your wallet and additive's claims. The above is all I use.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaran View Post
Would like opinion on RV Diesel fuel additives. Which ones? Do they really 'clean', increase efficiency, etc. I called CUMMINS technical support and they said they couldn't recommend for 'liability reasons'. Likewise, the head technical at Foretravel passed on giving me a recommendation.

Have I got a website for you, this ISO fuel additive study ends debate over which is best: https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/...esults.177728/

BTW, "Cummins can't recommend for liability reasons", yet they they do: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/additives
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This question has been asked repeatedly on here over the years. Not a bad question when you look at the money you spend on a diesel RV. I've been running OptiLube Summer Blend for more than ten years. Until the last few years, many responded to this question with......if Cummins doesn't say to use it, you don't need it.....snake oil.

Then the Diesel Place Magazine study came out with the variance in diesel lubricity from station to station and some not meeting Government specs. Soon after, Cummins came out with the statement that they recommended additives for lubricity. Obviously, they recommended their own product.

Running an additive like OptiLube or Howards will not break you. I don't use it for increased power, but for lubricity. I buy a one-gallon jug of the OptiLube Summer Blend for about $65.00. It lasts about a year with us doing 12K miles.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in the "snake oil" camp. The only additives I ever used were biocides to prevent algae growth when parking the motorhome over the winter months at my Florida home. And I would not have used those if I lived in a less humid climate.

I always bought fuel at major brand stations, nearly always truck stops. I think the risk of unacceptably low lubricity is negligible. And even if it is somewhat low, I don't run all that many miles to worry much about excessive wear & tear. But I'll grant that a product like Opti-Lube is "cheap insurance" if you are concerned about that sort of thing.

The days when diesels need regular internal cleaning are pretty much gone. Turbo chargers and ASTM-rated fuel have pretty much eliminated the "dirty diesel" unless the engine is running poorly, e.g. emitting smoke.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:26 PM   #6
Community Moderator

No diesel additives, except got an enzyme diesel fuel stabilizer with a full tank if storing over an extended time period.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #7

I have a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4032. Cummins 400 ISL that was made in 2004.

I have been using Diesel Kleen to add lubrication for the injectors. Same reason I add zinc to the motor oil and use non-ethanol gas in my 68 Camaro that I have had since I was 18. Those engines were made when oil and fuel were formulated much differently than today.

I just ordered a gallon of Optilube Summer blend with the pump and 4 oz bottles. It will be much more convenient than the bottles of Diesel Kleen.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:04 PM   #8

Use what makes you feel good, for me there has been no reason to use anything except anti-gel when it starts getting near zero.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:06 AM   #9

Fuel additives have been around since the first internal combustion engine. It always amazes me at how many different ones are on the market. I farmed from the mid 60's till late 80's with several diesel powered tractors and combines. The only additive I added was anti gel in engines that I had to run in the winter. The combine would sit from late November till mid August without an additive. No problem the next season. Most tractors were parked from November till late March and no fuel related issues. Our irrigation power units along with 3 phase generators sat from Sept till May without a need to run. Still no problems with the engines or the 440 volt generators. Maybe I'm missing something, but my Bus has run 85,000 miles with nothing but fuel filters changed every year along with chassis lube and oil changes. It runs as good or better than when new. And, with no additives!!! Just amazing.

Edit: IMHO, the owners POM gets more benefit from the additives than the engine.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #10

I really appreciate your responses. I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times before. I'll have to sort through all of this. A quick search yesterday created more questions than answers. I found 'Cummin's Filtration' that provides a line of additives that their technical support line couldn't tell me about for liability reasons. All these different products???? Then, there was a comment that Aquahot reccommends NOT using additives because they can damage certain components. I'm not losing sleep over this: We live full-time in our RV so the diesel won't be sitting for a prolonged period of time. Also, our Aquahot/Silverleaf has the option to heat the diesel/engine during extremely cold weather. I don't know if that eliminates the need for a gell additive, although one trucker I spoke to said that a cold additive during the winter is all he uses.

Probably preaching to the choir, but I recently joined TSD Logistics/Open Roads app. Discounted diesel prices. The app shows you prices in a 150 mile radius from your current location for Love's, Casey's, Sapp Bros., TA, and several other companies. I had just filled up for $4.79 a gallon. I could have waited and filled up for $4.10 a gallon 5 miles away from where I'm currently staying. For a 200 gallon tank, that $138 in savings. I'm told they're working on a similiar plan for gasoline. I currently use GasBuddy. I have no financial interest in either of these companies.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:27 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have tried additives in 3 different Ford diesel trucks and honestly cannot tell any difference in the engine performance. Save your $$ and have a nice dinner.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:46 AM   #12

[QUOTE=nbaran;6270578] Also, our Aquahot/Silverleaf has the option to heat the diesel/engine during extremely cold weather. I don't know if that eliminates the need for a gell additive, although one trucker I spoke to said that a cold additive during the winter is all he uses.[QUOTE]

No that will not prevent the fuel from gelling in the tank. That option will heat the engine coolant for easier starting in cold temps, but will not keep the fuel in the tank from gelling if the fuel gets below 32 degrees. Your warmed engine will start, but as soon as the gelled fuel gets to the fuel filters, they will plug and starve the engine for fuel. I've had that happed with untreated fuel in below freezing temps. The only cure is to warm up the entire fuel system. Adding Anti-Gel to the fuel while traveling in below freezing temps prevents gelling.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:25 AM   #13

I contacted Aquahot regarding a comment I saw that diesel additives are bad for the Aquahot system. The response I got was that BIODIESEL additives(made out of a variety of different vegetable oils) should NEVER be used if you have an Aquahot system because they promote the growth of algae and mold which WILL damage the Aquahot system. She said that other additives that are safe for the engine will be safe for the Aquahot.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:45 AM   #14

I have used CRC Fuel Therapy Injector Cleaner. It does help with soot and carbon buildup in the Duramax turbo
pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel