Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Generator Fumes

My Onan 7500 genset emits a great deal of strong diesel exhaust fumes, especially compared to a newer diesel genset or that of my RV's engine. Is there anything I can do to help cut down on the fumes?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Great question. I have the same genny and same observation... \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #3

Even after a good warm up? Sooty exhaust?
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Diesel exhaust is smelly, especially the non-turbo engine used in a generator. Most of the problem is that the exhaust is right along side and drifts in via windows and slide seals. Assuming it is running correctly (air & fuel filters clean, etc) there proably isn't much to do except to add a Genturi-style exhaust pipe to take it up above the roof line.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Not so much soot as fumes. Did full genny service before storing it for the winter, and it starts right up (after holding switch for 5 secs, or so); by "all appearances" it is working properly. It's just smelly. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Diesel exhaust is smelly, especially the non-turbo engine used in a generator. Most of the problem is that the exhaust is right along side and drifts in via windows and slide seals. Assuming it is running correctly (air & fuel filters clean, etc) there proably isn't much to do except to add a Genturi-style exhaust pipe to take it up above the roof line.
I do all of my own maintenance, so everything is up to date. You are correct, the Gen-Turi is about the only thing that seems to help, but I only take the time to put it together when we are boondocking, which is rare. I'm just wondering why the newer diesel gensets don't have the same heavy fume. Do they have cat converters? Case in point, I installed an Aero muffler on my RV engine two years ago. I instantly noticed a change in the engine's exhaust odor. It smelled the same as the genset. The factory muffler had an internal cat converter, which I can only assume helped with the emission odor. The newer gensets being built have a lighter odor much like an engine with a cat converter, so I’m wondering if they do in fact have them. (FWIW, I plan to remove the Aero muffler as the heavy exhaust fumes fill up the cab of our toad. My wife said it is also impossible to drive behind the RV since I installed the Aero, as the exhaust fumes choke her out. Since I’ve seen no performance gains, I plan on re-installing the factory engine muffler very soon)

Craig

Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #7

When boon docking, I attempt to position the MH so that the gen exhaust is down wind. The other thing I have done is to carry a section exhaust hose that will fit over the outlet on the generator an run it away from the MH. Otherwise we have the same issue at times.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Why don't you give Cummins a call and talk with a tech about this? Friend of mine turned down a deal on a coach with a strong (heavy) smelling exhaust. We took it to a local mechanic with the owner's permission and the mechanic seemed to think there was at least one injector going bad. He could not say for sure without some teardown and we did not have permission from the owner to do that.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Why don't you give Cummins a call and talk with a tech about this?
I have. I have spoken to two different people at Cummins-Onan, and I have received two very different answers. I explained to an Onan tech support rep that my friend’s 2010 diesel generator’s exhaust is much different that my 2005. The exhaust fumes from his genny are not near as strong. The tech told me that newer gensets have a catalyst. When I asked him if an older Onan can be retrofitted with a catalyst, he said he didn’t know and transferred me to an Onan engineer. The engineer told me that newer Onan diesel’s do not have a catalyst. He told me his tech support guy was wrong. He said he knows of no catalyst available for older Onan diesel’s, so I’m back to square one. I for one strongly believe that the newer Onan’s do in fact have a catalyst, based on their exhaust fumes compared to older Onan’s like mine, but I’ve hit a block wall.

Craig

Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
[QUOTEMy wife said it is also impossible to drive behind the RV since I installed the Aero, as the exhaust fumes choke her out. Since I’ve seen no performance gains, I plan on re-installing the factory engine muffler very soon)
Craig[/QUOTE]

Interesting: How close is she driving behind your RV?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #11

You've installed a new air cleaner recently? I rarely notice the smell of our '97 QD 7500 running, for whatever that's worth.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel technology has improved a great deal in the last few years.

We had a VW Jedda Diesel that we purchased in 2005. When my wife started it and backed out of the garage it left a heavy smell in the garage for quite some time. In 2012 we purchased a new VW Passat Diesel and this one hardly leaves any smell at all.

The difference is quite dramatic.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #13

My 7500 quiet diesel generator barely makes any smell. It's a 2007 model with 1600 hours.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Interesting: How close is she driving behind your RV?
Many car lengths....she followed me to the RV dealer for a slide out repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
You've installed a new air cleaner recently?
Last November...once a year as the manual calls for.

Craig

Tags
diesel, generator