Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #1

diesel or gas

Im going to be purchasing in coming months a duall wheel pickup for hauling camper.My question is the way we get price gouged on fuel ,in the long run which of these fuels would be less likely to stay high when they rise ,last time gas and diesel both got very expensive .Just curious what your overal thoughts would be.Do you think diesel in long run is better or gas.Im asking because, if I go with diesel this would be first time owning one ,any advise.Since truckers use diesel for work do you think down the road diesel may go high and not come back down? I know nobody has a crystal ball ,but what has been your expierence gas verse diesel?What kind of mpg on gas verse diesel with comprable size engine do you see?In my home I burn chesnut coal in 5 years it has gone from 85 a ton to 140 a ton it makes you wonder whats next.It used to be a good choice but with all the work involved and increase in cost Im thinking of something else,I threwthis in as a comparison as to gas or diesel just want to try and pick right engine.
wylie pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #2

I have had two diesels and prefer them to gas-I have towed in the past with gas.As far as price goes heaven only knows what is going to happen,who would guess 3 dollar gas with this recession!Good luck on your choice-happy camping
Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wylie pa,
For me, looking at the price of one fuel vs another fuel misses the point of buying a diesel or gas engine. One buys the engine that meets your requirements. If you will keep the vehicle for many years, if the RV is of a weight and size torque becomes important and if the terrain you'll camp the most is other than flat a diesel would seem to be the best choice.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
CD

wylie pa
My experience has been, if you compare a gas and diesel engine with equal HP, torque,etc, you will get enough better MPG with the diesel to more than offset the cost. With the diesel you get the pulling power at a much lower RPM.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
IMO

Diesel is the only way to go,

Now with that said, I know NOTHING about small diesels (Ford, GM, VW, etc) But you can't go wrong with Cummins, Cat, or MB!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #6

I have owned both. From a pure towing standpoint, my opinion is that diesel is the way to go. A diesel will also hold its value better. I think that you will average about 3-4 more mpg's while towing as well. Regarding the price of gas/diesel, your guess is as good as anyone's. Personally, I am surprised that the truckers haven't already revolted with the cost of diesel being higher than gas!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
JVJ

First things first. What size and weight of a camper are you looking at pulling. How often, how many miles per year will you be towing. This should have the largest bearing on your making your choice.
If you will be towing a large, very large, Heavy trailer, and doing it often for many miles a year....this would put a diesel at the top of the list.
If you are only looking at say 13,000 pounds or less, and talking about say 5,000 miles a year I would strongly think of going the gas route.
As for MPG there won't be as great of a savings on the new emission controled diesel as there would have been on older model years diesels. When towing the aprox. same weighted load with my F-550 6.4 2008 diesel and my 2006 F-250 6.8 gas V-10 the MPG was only 2.75 MPG difference.
Then you need to justify the cost of the diesel option of somewhere near $8,000. Yes the resell looks better, but if you base the resell on a percentage of what was paid for the diesel option VS. say a $600 option price for the V-10 gas powerplant the percentage will be very close. Depending on the current price of diesel the gas engine may actually have a better resell.
Then consider the cost of maintance, an oil change on a gas engine runs $21 at my local Ford dealer, the fuel filter runs another $55 installed. I had the oil and filter changed along with the fuel filters changed on my 6.4 diesel just before the new owner took deliver....cost $250.
I sold my F-550 diesel because I could not justify the cost when my F-250 V-10 could handle my current needs since we sold our Travel Supreme 40' triple slide 5th wheel, which weighed in at near 17,000 pounds.
I suggest you drive many different trucks, both diesel and gas powered. Look close at the numbers you will be looking at towing and make your own decision.
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #8

Don't buy a diesel to save money. Buy a diesel for better towing and engine life.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
FYI diesel is much cheaper then gas in Canada
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
FYI diesel is much cheaper then gas in Canada
Yesterday, in Chino Valley, AZ, Unleaded reg was . 2.839 gal and Diesel was 3.079. I don't know if the better mileage would pay off, so that is something to be considered.

Glenn
Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Yesterday, in Chino Valley, AZ, Unleaded reg was . 2.839 gal and Diesel was 3.079. I don't know if the better mileage would pay off, so that is something to be considered.

Glenn
Pulling the same 13,500 lb GVWR 5th wheel over the same route in the Texas Hill Country, our 1996 Dodge dually V-10/automatic yielded 6.5 MPG whereas our current truck got 12 MPG. Up one particular 6% grade westbound on I-10 going into Kerrville, the V-10 could hold 55 MPH in 2nd gear while the Cummins pulled the grade at 70 MPH in 6th gear.

Having had both, the diesel wins hands down for our application.

By the way, in the U.S., diesel is taxed more heavily than gasoline.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #12

Georgetown, the Good Sam mapping software says currently, Canada diesel is the equivalent of $5.13 per U.S. gallon today.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #13

I say diesel all the way, It tows a lot better and will less you a lot longer, If you going to do something do It the right way, thats my oppinion, Joe.
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #14
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post

Glenn
The diesel @ $3.079 is less than 10% more than gas. If you got 10 mpg with a gas engine, you would only need to get 11mpg with a diesel to be ahead as far as fuel cost.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote