Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #15

Yeah, sure, Dave!
I would pay good money to see that happen!
Chet
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2005, 05:08 AM   #16

The last time I filled here it was $2.69 a gal.

Doug
Old 08-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
What's depressing about the trigger for price increased due to the refinery fire is the same kind of thing happened in Southern California last year and was cited for diesel jumping form on par with regular unleaded to on par with premium unleaded...which it never really recovered from.

Makes you wonder.

Diesel locally has gone up 11% from 2.46/gal to 2.77/gal in the past two weeks alone.

Another thing to consider in variations (increases) in fuel price at the pump is changes in fuel taxes. See Fuel Taxes: State-by-State Comparison for details.

This report published by Washington State is dated June, 2005. Ironically, on July 5th (just after the holiday) a new "temporary" fuel tax of 9c/gal was added to help pay for emergency maintenance of ferries and bridges in the Seattle area (180 miles away from where I live). So the 28c/gal fuel tax listed in this report is now 37c/gal.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:03 AM   #18

We might as well get used to it. I will be very surprized if we ever see $2 fuel again. We in the U.S. have been spoiled with lower fuel prices than the rest of the world for decades. I am expecting $3/gal to be the average within a year and spikes to the $4 range. We have set ourselves up for this with our love of fuel guzzling vehicles from pickups to diesel pushers. It will take a large portion of the public refusing to buy anything that doesn't get at least 35-50 mpg. Trucking companies will have to spend millions to get more fuel efficient engines. Eventually, all of that extra expense will be paid by the consumer in everything he buys that is related to fuel consumption. Which is everything.

For me, I won't change my winter travel plans until the fuel reaches the $4 level. @ $3/gal it will cost $.34/mile for our motorhome. I won't like it, but I will still go because we can. We am very lucky that we can afford to go. We bought a Toyota Prius that gets 50 mpg and the $1000/ year saved with it will buy fuel for the motorhome for 3000 miles @ $3/gal.

Happy Trails, Doug
Doug Polzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:22 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It was on the news this morning that ALL of the oil companies are reporting RECORD profits again this quarter....No wonder.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Let's look at the facts regarding energy prices.

1. Crude oil and key refined products are commodities, just like corn, soybeans, pork bellies and gold. As commodities, prices are established by the market based on current and perceived future supply and demand factors - and speculation. After all, speculation is nothing more than the commodity traders speculating (guessing) on how the supply and demand factors will affect prices in the future. One key commodity market for energy products is the New York Merchantile Exchange (NYMEX) - HERE are current market prices for key energy products. #2 diesel is shown as heating oil and doesn't include fuel taxes. And, yes, just like the farmer cashes in when corn or beef prices are high, the oil companies and countries who own the oil (inside and outside of OPEC) cash in when crude oil prices are high. Profitability of their petrochemical subsidiaries may fall, however, as their feedstock (oil and natural gas) prices increase if market forces prevent them from raising prices of the finished goods to cover costs.

2. If the oil companies could set crude oil and refined product prices, why didn't they raise these prices in the 1990s when crude oil was $10/bbl, natural gas was $0.70/mmbtu, oil-related businesses were closing left and right and talented individuals who are sorely needed today left the oil business forever?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #21

Here is a link to check Flying J fuel prices across the country. I find it up to date with our local FJ.
http://www.flyingj.com/fuel/diesel_CF.cfm

Here is another link for checking fuel prices but the input is by volunteers and with the frequent changes is not up to date.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/

2004 Cedar Creek 30CKTS
Chuck Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:05 AM   #22

Diesel just hit $1.005Cdn per litre in the Toronto area, I make that to be $4.15 US per US gallon! Flying J is at 85.6c per litre or $3.55US per US gallon!

Bob

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:44 AM   #23

Came across a possible sign of market forces at work..in our favor.

My reference Safeway is up to 2.85 for Premium before any discounts (up only two cents this week..woo hooo). However, our local Citgo outlet (7-11) DROPPED their prices substantially to 12c/gal less than Safeway (2.73 for Premium). For years they've been within a penny. I'm not calling it a gas war yet but....

Unfortunately, 7-11 doesn't carry diesel.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:10 AM   #24

Location: Pasadena, MD, USA (between Baltimore and Annapolis)
Fleet Owner magazine

http://www.fleetowner.com/

has a link to "Fuel price update" which downloads an Excel spread sheet showing average diesel cost by regions throughput the country. I found the section on

"IMPACT OF FUEL PRICE CHANGE ON OPERATING COST PER MILE"

most interesting. From this table you can see why "things" are going to increase.

We really are dependent on fossil fuel!

Jack Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:46 AM   #25

It's almost a year now since I bought my first diesel truck. A 20004.5 Dodge CTD getting 19 mpg overall. I've become somewhat fuel price conscious, but it's been pricey since day one for me. I fill up maybe every two weeks as I don't drive a lot of miles it seems. Last night I did one of these fillups and paid $65.00 for the privledge of driving this great truck for another two weeks. So far this is not a problem for me. That truck is so enjoyable to own that I'm thinking of it's operting costs more as an entertainment fee..like a great meal out would cost me. It my way of disguishing the reality. $2,59 in eastern Connecticut for those interested.

BigBob
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:39 AM   #26

why is it that I am having a hard time posting? the reply screen keeps jumping to full size. Obviously working now for some although won't delete. Anyway we came thru Susanville CA about 3 weeks ago and diesel was 3.39.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:44 AM   #27

Okay..here we go again.

Katrina has spiked oil above $70bbl due to the shutdown and poential damage to Gulf oil production.

I'm betting the price at the pump is up another 15c/gal by this time next week even though not a drop of oil here in the west comes form the Gulf.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:14 PM   #28

Well I was wrong. It took only two days for fuel prices to go up by 18c/gal, not 15c/gal. Yesterday local D2 was $2.87 and today it's $3.05 in SW Washington State. The good news is we are no where near bad off as the South. In fact after reading some news stories we might be one of the cheaer places in the country. However, based on the financial analysts predictions it looks like my local fuel will hit $3.50/gal outside of two weeks.