Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 07:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question dinette back cushion....@#$%&!

ok, so I really like my old class a moho. Don't want to change it. Kids have grown and gone, so the dog sleeps one one side and wife and I sit on the other facing the TV. the furnace is underneath us. The problem is the straight back design of the RV dinette! Is there a replacement cushion that can be found that has some lumbar support?????

basicly like one of those c shape driving cushions that goes behind your back. These don't work when you have to slide into the dinette. they tend to pop out like a champagne cork, fall under the table and come up loaded with dog hair and food.

I don't need a cover, I can sew. just need a cushion that will go all the way across that has lumbar support.

so, I need to find somewhere to purchase a cushion that can be used in place of the flat cushion when we are sitting and watching TV. My back is killing me so hurry with your suggestions!!!

This back support dinette cushion is the only thing that is a pain (in the back) about my coach.

HELP!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Probably a hybrid cushion that you can fabricate...would be the best. A 2-piece with a smaller support down low ? 2 or 3 pieces of various density, different sizes that you can play with....until the right solution appears ? How about some hefty bubble wrap down low to provide support...like the wrap used to ship wine bottles or toner cartridges?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Like Scooter, I think you'd be best off making your own.
I assume that there is a fabric and/or hobby shop near-ish to you that sells foam for seats. Buy a piece of that as long as the seat and 1/2 to 2/3 as tall - 2 or 3 inches thick, depending on your preference.
Cut that at an angle so that you have a wedge shape (an electric carving knife works great for cutting foam.
Glue that to your existing cushion, and then break out the sewing machine to make a cover that fits your new cushion with lumbar support.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forgot to mention that years ago, we pulled out the dinette from a truck camper and a 26' class A.....and installed two recliners with a dandy drop leaf table in between for eating. Worked fine. Guess your TV would have to be facing the right direction (or get a new swivel mount)...and Fido may have to find a new place to hang out....
Old 12-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

Careful--the forum moderators can read minds and know how to interpret your use of special characters--don't ask me how I know--just don't do it!!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Any good upholstery shop should be able to solve your problem!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

Modified Dinette

Well after having three Travel Trailers, all with dinettes we bought a Class A gulf stream MH last year. I thought it was great that unlike the TTs the dinette seats in the MH were real spring supported cushions not pads on plywood. But...

The table was on two 28 inch poles and when I sat down I felt like a kid at the Thanksgiving table. It was almost up to my armpits. I found two 22 inch poles and it is much better.

I moved the forward mounted bench about 10 inches forward and moved the table poles about 5 inches forward because neither I or the DW are as trim as we once were (not).

The bad news is the back cushions still prevent sitting there for long periods. I like to set the computer up and sit at the table but after about 30 mins my back is killing me. I was thinking about getting a couple of pieces of pool noodle and putting it behind the back cushions at the bottom to "kick out" the bottom of the cushions.

Here's a before picture. I looked but don't have an "after" shot. The camper is bagged for the winter.

Sudsy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-05 16.17.45.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	185806  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

I would get sone foam and see if you can find a shape that feels comfortable on top of the existing back cushion.
Once you find the right wedge...double wedge... or "roll" then you csn either. ..
1) remove the back cover glue the new piece to the old and make a new shaped cover

2) make a cover for the new piece including 2-3 web straps to hang it with and hang it in front of the existing back cushion... use snaps on wall & straps and its easily removable.

If the right foam support isn't too big it might even fit inside the existing cushion cover.

Spray glue works pretty well on foam... just spray both sides & join

Last idea... you might try a shaped support behind the existing cushion...
Could be thin plywood w a couple of curved pieces behind it...screw to existong backing or use velcro to hold it in place.
I bet it won't take a lot to make a difference. ...try 1-2-3 swin noodles taped together as a test...
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #9

What about getting a body pillow to put behind you?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
I had my cushions replaced with some made by a local upholstery shop. I'm sure if you have one locally they would be able to fashion one to your liking.
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1513413642

Front yard pix, closest foam shop is 2 hours away by fast car, 3 by moho. I was hoping for some sort of link or web site where I could order a chunk of foam that I can cut to fit and cover. Not sure who came up with the dinette design but they must have had a back of steel. Tried body pillows, but they always to end up on the floor and such. I've looked for replacement foam but just can't seem to spot it. I have my furnace under one side, is there a couch or recliner that will fit over the furnace? It's the angle of the back, 90 degrees
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8735.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	185855  
Old 12-16-2017, 05:02 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lonfu,

Look at Joanne Fabrics website. They sell foam in different density and you can cut it with an electric knife to shape it the way you want. They would probably ship the foam to you.

The spray glue would attach it to your cushions to shape it the way you want. I would try a piece big enough to fit behind you before doing the whole cushion until you figure out the shape you want / need.

After you get that finessed, then do the whole cushion and upholstery it.

Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #13

Here's a web site that advertising cutting the foam how you want it and also states "back relief cushions".

http://www.foamforyou.com/CustomCutFoam.htm

When you do find a cushion that will work, this might help you to sew a new covering for it.

Reupholstering Your Camper Cushions - The Pop Up Princess
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote