Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

Direct TV

Can anybody give the routine for getting direct tv installed in our RV we already have the dome satellite just need the reciever
codybones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #2

Do you have DirecTV service already? If so, you can add a receiver for $5 per month and use it in the RV. Personally, I take my standard definiton receiver from the house and use it in the RV.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
When we purchased our '05 Dolphin, the King Dome satellite antenna was there for all to see. Last year I did research (and called) to determine the receiver that would work with the King Dome & Dish network. It turns out the King dome is too old for the new satellites. So now I seriously considering replacing the King Dome with a Vanguard model.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #4

tv

So the King Dome is what's on my 06 Holiday Rambler are you saying that its obsolete if I want direct tv in HD
Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My KVH R6 which was only 5 years old became obsolete with Dish this past year and I had to replace it. I went with the Winegard Travl'r. I'm even getting better signal now.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcannonball View Post
Personally, I take my standard definiton receiver from the house and use it in the RV.
That's what I do too except I take two of them. It's allowed by Direct's TOS too. My somewhat old MotoSat HD dish works just fine with Direct but the old controller died so I got an Eagle 1 controller from RF Mogul. I can have the new controller reprogrammed for Dish if I want but would need to replace the dish and LNB's to complete a transfer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #7

winegard travel'r

can anyone tell me how the winegard travel'r satellite dish folds down after use do you have to go up and do it every time manually?
Old 02-02-2017, 06:52 AM   #8

First thing i would suggest knowing is what antenna you have (assuming one is mounted already) and what the Compatible Receivers are. http://www.winegard.com/directv/dire...llite-antennas

I went round and round with direct tv and had real issues getting them to come out and install a box in my rig. I got tired of them and purchased my own box than had them activate it after i installed it. They were a tad confused how i managed to get a box and install it and hit the satalites without a "tech" doing it for me but i managed to convince them i knew what i was doing and all i wanted was the programing activated.

They must be watched very closely month to month. they are real sneaky about creeping up the bill every month.

The travler antenna someone asked about is electric (ac, means inverter on or plugged into shore power) I just hit a button and wait 5 min while it locates the sat and gets all set up. Same for leaving, just hit a button and wait five min. That and not having to store something else in the rv or a basement is the reason i like that antenna. Being able to fire up sat in some rest area or walmart parking lot if i am stopping for a few hours is so nice.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You cannot receive the Direct TV HD satellites with any dome-type antenna. A dome cannot handle the ka band transmissions that Direct uses for HD service. It can do SD (Direct's 101 satellite) though. For Direct TV HD, you need an open-face type dish. It can still be auto-seek antenna like the dome, but needs to be the the larger dish. You can, however, get Dish TV's HD channels with a dome.

Chances are that older King Dome you have is obsolete as well, but contact King Connect and ask. It may be upgradeable.

We have a dome antenna and get Direct TV on a standard receiver.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
The problem is that the older King Dome model cannot receive signals from the newer satellites
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #11

The 'auto-dome' on our 2004 Winnebago Vectra works for the SD sat. 101 service. Have to use an HR23 Direct TV receiver, and you have to disconnect the dome to see if it's setup for Direct TV or Dish. In our case, it's changing the little white DIP switches. If you have the manual for your dome, the info should be in there. Check that out before you spend a bunch of money. We seldom use the Direct TV have the basic plan, not much on it. You can't get local channels either, just LA or NYC or something like that.
Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'm a little confused, we have a Kingdome antenna and receive DirectTV.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybones0 View Post
Can anybody give the routine for getting direct tv installed in our RV we already have the dome satellite just need the reciever
The old dome antenna for Directv is not the way to go. There are currently no rv domes that will receive HDTV. If you expect HDTV then the easiest way to go is a Winegard Traveler. The traveler is automatic and operated from inside the coach. It is easy to install yourself. The hard part is getting it on the roof.

Directv is expensive if you want network channels wherever you travel. Dish is less expensive. I use Directv because the service is better.

There is tons of information on satellite tv on this forum.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybones0 View Post
can anyone tell me how the winegard travel'r satellite dish folds down after use do you have to go up and do it every time manually?
Just turn power off, it folds down automatically.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote