Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Directv - King-dome help!!

Help! Our prior directv box went out and I got a replacement. I cant access the Satellite settings on the old box to know how the new box should be set up. If you have Directv and a King-dome Automatic Satellite (the older one Model 9704LP) Can you tell me what the setting are on the satellite dish setup screen of DirectV is. I need the following info and the choices I have are also listed.:

Dish Type (SL3LNB, SL5LNB, 18" Round LNB or 18x29 Triple-sat LNB)
Rb/Intl: (None selection or International)
Switch type: (Multi-switch, or SWM)
Tuners:(Dual, or Single)

I know the dome is set correctly (because the old one worked) so I just need to know setting on the DirecTV receiver itself
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What DirecTV box did you get....if it's a newer one, it most likely won't work. DirecTV was suppose to shut down all Standard Definition (SD) TV last year, but my neighbor says his dome and old D-10 DirecTV box is still working.

If you got an old box, my guess on the setting would be.....

Dish Type (SL3LNB, SL5LNB, 18" Round LNB)
Rb/Intl: (None selection)
Switch type: (Multi-switch) the old system doesn't have a SWM switch.
Tuners: (Single) should be a single as the older units didn't record.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #3

It isn't so much that they shut down the SD transmissions, but that those were being sent using a much less efficient MPEG2 compression scheme which has been out of date for years. The signals now are all sent using MPEG4 which is why the new box was needed.

I'm going to presume that your King-Dome was only capable of reading one satellite at a time? If so, you want to try telling the box that you have an 18 round dish, no international, multiswitch, and dual tuner ONLY if you have 2 coax lines into the box. If you have one coax line, then that is a single tuner.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:47 PM   #4

The multiswitch could be a trick - If you have a separate "power injector" on the coax line, this will be a rectangular box with one coax in and out on it and a 120v wall plug.... IF you have this, then your king dome MIGHT have the "SWM" which is a "single wire multiswitch" that allowed more than one tuner to be active at a time. I don't think most RV domes had this, but I could be wrong about that one. I'd try the older one (plain multiswitch or "none") first.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
It isn't so much that they shut down the SD transmissions, but that those were being sent using a much less efficient MPEG2 compression scheme which has been out of date for years. The signals now are all sent using MPEG4 which is why the new box was needed.

I'm going to presume that your King-Dome was only capable of reading one satellite at a time? If so, you want to try telling the box that you have an 18 round dish, no international, multiswitch, and dual tuner ONLY if you have 2 coax lines into the box. If you have one coax line, then that is a single tuner.

This totally worked: For others that might be looking here is what the solution was:

Directv Receiver HR24 (HD DVR)

Satellite Type: 18" round LNB
RB/InTl: None
Switch: Multi Switch
Tuner: Single

My guide is still rebuilding but when it first came on I don't have any local channels CBS, NBC, ABC etc. (typically 4,9,11,13 etc.) My guide starts at channel 70. I will follow up if I get more info on getting the other stations to work
Old 02-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winningteam View Post
This totally worked: For others that might be looking here is what the solution was:

Directv Receiver HR24 (HD DVR)

Satellite Type: 18" round LNB
RB/InTl: None
Switch: Multi Switch
Tuner: Single

My guide is still rebuilding but when it first came on I don't have any local channels CBS, NBC, ABC etc. (typically 4,9,11,13 etc.) My guide starts at channel 70. I will follow up if I get more info on getting the other stations to work
What is going on is that your dome has found and locked to the primary satellite at either 101 or 119 degrees. There is a middle one at 110, and a couple at 107 but those are mostly used for alternative language programs and some specials.

Whether or not your specific locals are carried on the bird you have found is unknown - you MIGHT be able to do some google searching to figure out which transponder and orbital location has the channels you are looking for. There are a lot that are in "spot beams" and still carried by the primary bird - but yours might not be. You can go into the settings on the box and look at the signal strength by transponder and it will show you which bird you are on, then you can google that satellite and channels carried to figure out whether you should be seeing something or not.

Being limited to just one bird will be a bit of a hindrance to getting everything you are (over)paying for.... But unless there is an LNB upgrade option available from King-Dome, you are kinda stuck with one sat at a time - and I have no clue if your model can be told which one to point at, which would allow you to move it to another orbital location. That wouldn't be done within the DTV box however, those are NOT expecting a movable receiver location or adjustable dish, so they don't have any options for telling the dish what to do with itself. There would have to be an external controller of some fashion. I had an automatic winegard on my RV that had a control box that MIGHT have let me select which orbital slot I wanted... But the thing never worked so I don't know for sure. I only know it had a screen and more than 1 button on the little box.

Tags
directv