Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

DirecTV or DISH

About to take delivery on our new coach and was trying to decide on what TV provider to go with. We have FIOS at home but will be switching to Direct TV or DISH depending on what is easier based on RV setup and service. Anyone with S & B provider that also uses in RV? If so, is there one that is more RV friendly in terms of setup? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #2

I have DirecTv at home so went with them with portable... Only reason if because of the NFL ticket...

If not for that the Dish is way more friendly for RV’ers!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFire Junkies View Post
I have DirecTv at home so went with them with portable... Only reason if because of the NFL ticket...

If not for that the Dish is way more friendly for RV’ers!
Thanks! When you say portable you mean tripod/dish setup? Not roof mount?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

You can do dish however you want. I have at home and a Playmate for the RV and the Wally.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
General consensus is Dish is easier than DirecTV for use in an RV, but I have never had Dish, so can't offer an opinion.

We have DirecTV at home so we simply take the receivers from the house with us when we travel. Works pretty well for us.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I had Direct tv in the S& B and a Wineguard Travelr on the rig, for many years. Got fed up with the price hikes on Direct and switched to Dish. Now I have a kit to convert the Travelr to Dish $249. Saved $50 a month on a better package from Dish. Have always used the boxes from the house in the rig.
Direct can be a pain in the keester when changing home locations. Easy peesy with Dish.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Dish is a better system IMHO. Had it for years in the MH. No contract if you don’t want The ability to suspend service while MH in storage. Good CS.
Direct (have now) is less CS oriented, gives less for more I’ve observed. Would switch back to Dish if I could, but need it in my current coach.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just take my DirectTV receivers in the MH when I go. Have never called them to change my service address.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #9

Direct has no he on rv setups. I have dish and have no trouble. All I do is go to the dish ap and change my service location so I can get the locals.
cobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbob4 View Post
Thanks! When you say portable you mean tripod/dish setup? Not roof mount?

Yes! Tripod with dome...
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #11

Have Dish and permanent SK-1000 antenna and we full-time. Never have used Direct, but based on our ATT service, don't think I would like Direct.
Dish seems to have a good grasp of RV setups IF YOU TALK TO AN RV REP, otherwise, they may be clueless. Have to change the service address when moving more than about 200 miles in order to get local channels.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #12

We have Dish on the RV and it works pretty good. They call their service "Dish Outdoors" now instead of "On The Go" but its works the same. We like being able to suspend service for weeks or months at a time depending on travel times. They charge $5/mo. now to keep account "active" but that's not too bad. Had Dish on the house but decided to go with a Fire Stick for that location.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #13

I have had both Direct/Dish at home over the years and definitely prefer Dish for a variety of reasons. When I decided to add it to the RV that pretty much made it a no brainer.

We have evolved in the RV to the Winegard Trav'ler antenna and a Hopper 2 which is the same as the house DVR. I should say we very seldom traditionally "camp" so to speak. I need and use my RV as a mobile apartment for both work and my hobby so having a "home style" environment is appealing to us.

Both the Hopper 2 and the Trav'ler I bought off of Amazon and did the installation myself.

When we need the RV I get online with Dish Support chat and ask them to activate it, when we don't need it I get back online and have it deactivated. I think they charge me $12.00 a month when it's turned on, maybe $10.00 not really sure.

P.S. I also bought the new little OTA adapter (also from Amazon) and set it up. Now very seldom do we "change the locals" from our home service address. I've found for us this usually is simpler than changing the locals and screwing up "locals" on our home DVR.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I have had both Direct/Dish at home over the years and definitely prefer Dish for a variety of reasons. When I decided to add it to the RV that pretty much made it a no brainer.

We have evolved in the RV to the Winegard Trav'ler antenna and a Hopper 2 which is the same as the house DVR. I should say we very seldom traditionally "camp" so to speak. I need and use my RV as a mobile apartment for both work and my hobby so having a "home style" environment is appealing to us.

Both the Hopper 2 and the Trav'ler I bought off of Amazon and did the installation myself.

When we need the RV I get online with Dish Support chat and ask them to activate it, when we don't need it I get back online and have it deactivated. I think they charge me $12.00 a month when it's turned on, maybe $10.00 not really sure.

P.S. I also bought the new little OTA adapter (also from Amazon) and set it up. Now very seldom do we "change the locals" from our home service address. I've found for us this usually is simpler than changing the locals and screwing up "locals" on our home DVR.
Thanks so much!! I think we have decided to go with DISH. I like their upfront pricing as well. Direct TV has too many fee adjustments.

Tags
dish, directv