Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #1

Disconnect battery?

Should I disconnect the battery on the vehicle left sitting in the garage while we are out RVing? We will be gone about 6-8 weeks. (First trip in our new to us 2012 Four Winds 28a.)
Littlelake95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, you would be better to put a battery tender on it. It will pay for itself over the life of your auto battery.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
longest we have been out is about 6 weeks did nothing for the vehicle left behind'it started fine the fist trip it made after arriving home was to the lincoln dlr for an oil change
the diagnostics said battery preformance was low i said thanks i will bring it back if any problems there were none and the in truck diagnostics said all systems OK after a few day of driving. the truck was an 06 mkt w57000 miles original battery
so i would not worry
brianj
Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Littlelake95,
Welcome to iRV2. For me, I do not do this. However, it may depend on the brand of car. The car we leave, for several months at a time, auto disconnects most of the parasite voltage draws, over time, if the car is not used. If you will sleep better at night knowing the battery is disconnected, then do it. You can hurt nothing. My neighbor disconnects his battery when he is gone for several months at a time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses. We just bought our first MH. We have "tested" it on two different two nite trips here in MI. We are planning a much longer trip to AZ shortly. I am glad I found this forum so I don't have to depend on "trial & ERROR" to figure all this new stuff out!!
Littlelake95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
The longest I have left a battery "unattended" was 9 months. I disconnected the negative post and left it in the vehicle. Came back, hooked it up and the truck started right away. If your battery is fairly new, you can leave it but if it more than a couple of years old, then I would put a tender on it.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #7

If your radio has a security code make sure you know it when you disconnect the battery.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd disconnect it.

Every car, and battery, is different and the small amount of time to disconnect it is better than the hassle of having to charge it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'd disconnect it.

Every car, and battery, is different and the small amount of time to disconnect it is better than the hassle of having to charge it.

X2, on the lot at the dealership where I worked , no starts,due to dead battery, would occour in as little as 3 weeks.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #10

I finally started using a battery tender. No more resetting the clock or stereo presets.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #11

You have to be a little careful with disconnecting the battery on today's modern cars; they have computers in them that "learn" your driving style and make modifications to everything from shift points to engine control of timing and fuel delivery. If you disconnect the battery, the automobile's computer has to "re-learn" all of that information and fuel efficiency usually suffers and the "learning curve" can be 500 miles or more to get back to what you originally had.

Best bet is to install a Battery Minder or Battery Tender; they have quick attach components that make hook up a breeze and they will keep the battery charged and desulfated. No "re-learning" for the computer, no lost radio stations or other "customizations" (a lot of the new "radios" are highly customizable, even more so with built-in GPS units, etc.). All of my equipment is outfitted with one, from my lawnmower to my antique cars and my daily drivers, even my emergency generator with electric start; if they aren't going to be used in a week, they get hooked up. The battery in my JD tractor is 13 years old and starts the tractor like it is new.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote