Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

Dish Network "Negotiating" channels

So Dish Network has again dropped a couple of channels due to negotiations not working out. This has been a problem for some time and occasionally the channel never comes back, HBO for example.

I understand there are options other than Dish, other than satellite TV, and getting locals OTA. But, Dish fulfills my needs for most of my travels which includes the motorhome during the winter months and the boat during the summer. Streaming is simply not an option when there is poor and many times no phone service in northern BC on the water. OTA antenna don't work there either, but satellite TV does. So argue all you want about all the better options, for me, Satellite TV works best.

My question today is, it appears that CBS stations are not available in Yuma or in the Phoenix spot beam due to the current negotiations. Is anyone with Dish network in the San Diego area right now, and are you getting the CBS stations on Dish? IIRC I can get Yuma, Phoenix or San Diego locals while in Yuma. If San Diego isn't in negotiations I can change my location to an address there.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #2

It appears that with all these different providers(CBS,ABC,NBC,HBO,ETC) coming out with their own apps, they don't want to dicker with the others. As in Dish, Direct,Cable Co's. So we as consumers loose out or pay the piper for their streaming apps.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

Would they not give you the generic LA stations in the mean time?
These negotiations are just part of TV entertainment these days. We had that here in DFW last year. It eventually gets done. It only lasted about a week here.
Yea, no more HBO or Fox regional sports. But I can live with that.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #4

Direct TV went through this also.
I have Comcast cable at home and they are playing the same games. So far they've dropped 2 channels from their lineup and also placed TCM into another tier with sports channels.

Their excuse was the lack of viewership on TCM. Makes no sense, if you want TCM you have to pay extra for it.
glwinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #5

True but Dish will then give you a free voice remote to feel better about what you are losing.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #6

We recently went thru this with DirectTV. About a year ago we received the “negotiation” notice of DirectTV with NBC. We went W/O NBC for about 8-9 months (they did not reduce our monthly $$ due)
Now we have gotten NBC back! Good Luck!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
This is one of the games that I HATE that the cable/satellite/streaming services(carriers) in their negotiations with various networks all play.

It comes time for renewal and they start the negotiations with the company asking the networks to lower prices and the networks wanting more money and saying to carry us, you MUST carry these channels. They go back and forth and end up in a stalemate and the network pulls their programming.

They then put up adds blaming the other party. They bicker more for a while and in the end the carriers pay more and have to carry more garbage channels (how many shopping channels do we need?) and over time we the subscribers pay more in a never ending cycle
wrlwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #8

I think it's the networks wanting more money and Dish trying to minimize any increase as it will just cost their customers more.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I think it's the networks wanting more money and Dish trying to minimize any increase as it will just cost their customers more.
More like Dish trying to maximize profits. Don't believe anyone gets a rebate when Dish drops a channel.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
More like Dish trying to maximize profits. Don't believe anyone gets a rebate when Dish drops a channel.
Or both.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
Had Direct until they changed their policy of mobile support (RV) and said they were dropping the satellite (I forget the number) Anyway, we dropped Direct and now have DISH. we are not satisfied with the programing on Dish nearly as much was we were with Direct. Never had a problem with Direct 'negotiation' with the networks. Dish? Yep, for a few weeks.
Since we are not traveling in the west nearly as much as we did way back when, we seem to rely on the RAZAR and local channels more and more lately. With strong wifi (rare) we can get Prime movies
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #12

What erks me is having to pay a $13 a month fee to get local channels on my spectrum account even though they are free OTA. If it were me running a sat or cable company, I’d charge the local broadcast stations a fee to transmit there commercial laden shows to the subscribers. The locals benefit far more than the sat or cable companies do from the deal.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPER70 View Post
True but Dish will then give you a free voice remote to feel better about what you are losing.
BUT, that voice search feature comes with Google baggage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
What erks me is having to pay a $13 a month fee to get local channels on my spectrum account even though they are free OTA. If it were me running a sat or cable company, I’d charge the local broadcast stations a fee to transmit there commercial laden shows to the subscribers. The locals benefit far more than the sat or cable companies do from the deal.
Well then don't buy the locals and put up an OTA antenna.

Tags
dish