Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #15

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Went with a really nice Melamine set that complemented the color scheme of the travel trailer. Purchased it from Gabriel Brothers (now called Gabes) at closeout. It was originally from Kohls. Washed it up at the TT sink after every meal while everyone else relaxed.

Then we went dry camping, and ever since have been using the thick paper plates, disposable cups, and washing a minimum of utensils and pots and pans when we can't get away with tinfoil.

The beautiful set of Melamine is sitting in my kitchen at home. Since we only take short 2 day trips, I often bag up non-disposable stuff to clean in the dishwasher once we get back. And, I am outside with everyone else when camping.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #16

Sorry, if this sounds boring.
Corelle, it can be used in the microwave and when careful in the oven. Melamine is unbreakable and light weight but is supposedly not microwave safe and definitely not oven safe.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
choosing dinnerware has me stumped. I'm solo but I can easily feed 6-7 inside. So, if the usual RV couples or members of the Swedish bikini team wanna come over, I want to have more than paper.
I've read lots of RV'ers choose Melamine and many, Corrielle. Donno why other than the unbreakable-ness.
If you were starting your kitchen over, what would you buy?
J Lewis
Eagles
My choice would be a "four place setting" of Melamine, (when the Swedish girls bikini team shows up I'll run to Walmart for more).
BTW, if you think Corelle® Dinnerware is "unbreakable" it is evident you are a newbie.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #18

We used to think Corelle was the cat's meow but after cleaning up a lot of broken shards from dropped pieces we've sworn off it. Neither of us wants to wash dishes on vacation so it's paper and plastic except for several serving dishes.
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Melamine for sure. Plates, platters, cups, bowls. Nice color selections too.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We use Corelle Wear, service for 8. Paper plates are ok for some things but we prefer to use something a little nicer. We bought plastic drinking glasses which are heavy duty.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
Another vote for Corelle. 1 4pc setting is all we need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
Another vote for Corelle...and real glasses and metal flatware. Corelle is light weight and stacks very compactly.....

Another vote for Corelle. As mentioned above, I don't like plastic for food, wine or drinks. As her clan named her Three-Horses, I concede, actually I gave up and agreed to use paper plates for sandwiches and the clear acrylic glasses for ice tea, but I put my foot down on the use of plastic flat ware. The wife had gone into over kill on stocking the sticks and bricks several years ago, so when we stepped up to a full size new to us, Class C and then a year later to a Class A, and needed additional kitchen furnishing, I suggested that we take the excess Corelle and nice flatware to make a 4 place setting including 6 of the platter type serving plates for large meals like when grilling good sized steaks. We use the old style In addition to the larger sized Corelle Ware Cook Mates for cooking, we use 4x4 square bowls for cooking, serving, soups and salads. Multi use and less required storage and weight. Did the resale stores for good glass ware for wine and other adult drinks.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Corelle for sure - and you can microwave them! Paper for everyday and Styrofoam for special events!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
We carried a set of Corelle dishes around for about 6 years. It seemed like a good idea when we bought them, but we never opened the box. For us, disposable plastic seems to be a simpler idea. We wash them if only lightly used (sandwiches, etc.) and toss them after heavier meals. We do use stainless cutlery, but finally just gave the unopened Corelle away.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Corelle for us. Bit on the heavy side but darn good dishes. Last well, look good. Place shelf liner between them when traveling to prevent rattles.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
we dont camp we rv so i want nice plates and glass ware just like at home
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We are full-timing and also use Corelle. For non-plastic or paper they are great. Corelle feels like real dishes, they are thin (don't take up much vertical space), light weight, very durable-almost unbreakable and microwave safe. Melamine is not microwave safe so that was a deal breaker for us.

Stuart
Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have 3 sets of dishes in the s/b. Everyday correlle and fine china for special occations. The 3 set was given to me and it was pretty but it sat unused taking up cabinet space. It's not correlle. When we bought our MH the color matched the interior so it is now what we use in the MH. Put the rubber shelf liner between the plates and bowls and everything stays put and does not rattle. Its a service for 8 which works great. I also bought some nice silverware.

I hate paper plates and making garbage and for me it's homey. Sooner it later we will f/t and the extra sets will be sold, given away or replace what we have now depending on what survives and does not break.

It all depends on what you feel makes you comfortable using. We have already had company eat with us and the service for 8 works well since it works with putting all food on/in bowls and plates used as platters.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some years ago we bought some high end French made Corelle like dishes at an RV show. But then we use paper plates when ever we can. Frankly the almsot $500 or so we spent on the good plates/glasses was a waste!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish