Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2022, 09:22 AM   #1

Displaying the US Flag at night

I have a simple 3x5 flag mounted on the front corner of my TT.
At night I have a Makita flashlight shining up on it .
If you display the flag at night please light it up.
Not to mention it looks cool.
Lets see yours at night. I'll post up mine when it gets dark tonight
Thanks
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
I have a simple 3x5 flag mounted on the front corner of my TT.
At night I have a Makita flashlight shining up on it .
If you display the flag at night please light it up.
Not to mention it looks cool.
Lets see yours at night. I'll post up mine when it gets dark tonight
Thanks
You are aware the requirement to illuminate the flag at night was removed years ago, right?
Old 08-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am all for the flag and good flag etiquette. Did you realize our own government left flags on the moon that are subjected to the dark? Appalling, no?
Old 08-11-2022, 09:41 AM   #4

As I understand........oOrdinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset, although the Flag Code permits night time display "when a patriotic effect is desired." Similarly, the flag should be displayed only when the weather is fair, except when an all weather flag is displayed US Flag Code.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #5
US1

So lighting up a flag because it looks cool, trumps leaving porch lights on for safety at night?

For clarification, are we talking all night or just evening?
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #6

I fly my flag 24/7. It is lit with solar lights but they go out before daylight sometimes as the batteries didn't get fully charged due to cloud covered skies.
For the past few months my flag has flown upside down and I don't care who does or doesn't like it including my mailman who tried to call me out for it.
My porch lights are controlled by a motion sensor. I don't want a burgular to fall and get hurt so he can turn around and sue me.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I fly my flag 24/7. It is lit with solar lights but they go out before daylight sometimes as the batteries didn't get fully charged due to cloud covered skies.
For the past few months my flag has flown upside down and I don't care who does or doesn't like it including my mailman who tried to call me out for it.
I fully understand.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #8

Flying the flag at night is not priper respect. It should only be flown from sunrise to sunset. Flying it at night should only be for patriotic reasons. However I realize it is difficult to raise and lower daily and when attached to an RV. If you do it light it up bright!
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So this is where good flag etiquette intersects with campground etiquette. Uh, oh!
Old 08-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
You are aware the requirement to illuminate the flag at night was removed years ago, right?
When was the code for illumination removed? I cannot find any reference to that. It is unfortunate that the U.S. Flag Code, as a law, is not enforced.

There are many sources for the U.S. Flag Code. Here are two that or .gov web sites.

House of Representatives

USA.GOV

One of my "peeve" is when the flag is not displayed, "On its own right." That is, right fender or rear fender of a car, motorcycle, bike or other vehicle. Or when against a wall on its own right means when an audience is looking at it it is on THEIR left.

Everyone should be familiar with our history and code of the U.S. Flag. IMO
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:26 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have long felt that the half-staff rule has long been abused by both presidents and governors, especially the duration of such orders.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
When was the code for illumination removed? I cannot find any reference to that. It is unfortunate that the U.S. Flag Code, as a law, is not enforced.

There are many sources for the U.S. Flag Code. Here are two that or .gov web sites.

House of Representatives

USA.GOV

One of my "peeve" is when the flag is not displayed, "On its own right." That is, right fender or rear fender of a car, motorcycle, bike or other vehicle. Or when against a wall on its own right means when an audience is looking at it it is on THEIR left.

Everyone should be familiar with our history and code of the U.S. Flag. IMO
You are correct and I mis-spoke (mis-wrote?).
What I was referencing (from memory) was that Public Law 94-344, known as the Federal Flag Code, contains rules for handling and displaying
the U.S. flag. While the federal code contains no penalties for misusing the flag, states have their own flag codes and may impose penalties. The state in which I reside struck down the penalty for displaying a US flag unilluminated at night.
Being one of those factoids that really didn't affect me directly it got filed away and then misremembered.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
You are correct and I mis-spoke (mis-wrote?).

What I was referencing (from memory) was that Public Law 94-344, known as the Federal Flag Code, contains rules for handling and displaying

the U.S. flag. While the federal code contains no penalties for misusing the flag, states have their own flag codes and may impose penalties. The state in which I reside struck down the penalty for displaying a US flag unilluminated at night.

Being one of those factoids that really didn't affect me directly it got filed away and then misremembered.
Thank you for researching, self-correcting and explaining your first post. I wish everyone would follow your example.
Good on you.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #14

Never realized I would strike a nerve. I don't care.
I am as patriotic as it gets. If you don't like my flag lit up at night, too bad.
I never said anything about etiquette.
I drive Chevy trucks, I like baseball, hot dogs and apple pie.
I have a Son in Law and a Nephew currently deployed.
My trucks have support the troops plates.
As far as campground lights after dark, the only thing you see at my site is the flag. Nothing else.
If you can't appreciate that , I don't care.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote