Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2022, 09:22 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bowtie Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 352
Displaying the US Flag at night

I have a simple 3x5 flag mounted on the front corner of my TT.
At night I have a Makita flashlight shining up on it .
If you display the flag at night please light it up.
Not to mention it looks cool.
Lets see yours at night. I'll post up mine when it gets dark tonight
Thanks
__________________
02 Keystone Hornet Lite 25 FL
18 Silverado Dbl.5.3 6sp 3.42 stock ( grunt truck)
18 Silverado Crew 5.3 6sp 3.42 9" lift 37's(fun truck)
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
wrvond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
I have a simple 3x5 flag mounted on the front corner of my TT.
At night I have a Makita flashlight shining up on it .
If you display the flag at night please light it up.
Not to mention it looks cool.
Lets see yours at night. I'll post up mine when it gets dark tonight
Thanks
You are aware the requirement to illuminate the flag at night was removed years ago, right?
__________________
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 6.7L CCLB DRW 4x4 Ruby Red
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,462
I am all for the flag and good flag etiquette. Did you realize our own government left flags on the moon that are subjected to the dark? Appalling, no?
__________________
TandW
TandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 760
As I understand........oOrdinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset, although the Flag Code permits night time display "when a patriotic effect is desired." Similarly, the flag should be displayed only when the weather is fair, except when an all weather flag is displayed US Flag Code.
__________________
2020 Montana 3780RL fifth wheel (41 ft) / 2016 F-350 6.7L diesel crew cab long bed 4x2 DRW
2022 Entegra Vision 27A / 2021 Chevy Equinox LT AWD toad
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #5
US1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,036
So lighting up a flag because it looks cool, trumps leaving porch lights on for safety at night?

For clarification, are we talking all night or just evening?
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Watertown NY USA
Posts: 5,290
I fly my flag 24/7. It is lit with solar lights but they go out before daylight sometimes as the batteries didn't get fully charged due to cloud covered skies.
For the past few months my flag has flown upside down and I don't care who does or doesn't like it including my mailman who tried to call me out for it.
My porch lights are controlled by a motion sensor. I don't want a burgular to fall and get hurt so he can turn around and sue me.
__________________
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I fly my flag 24/7. It is lit with solar lights but they go out before daylight sometimes as the batteries didn't get fully charged due to cloud covered skies.
For the past few months my flag has flown upside down and I don't care who does or doesn't like it including my mailman who tried to call me out for it.
I fully understand.
__________________
TandW
TandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
tmandoug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 525
Flying the flag at night is not priper respect. It should only be flown from sunrise to sunset. Flying it at night should only be for patriotic reasons. However I realize it is difficult to raise and lower daily and when attached to an RV. If you do it light it up bright!
__________________
Doug and Renee Tallman
2014 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2018 Chevy High Country
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,462
So this is where good flag etiquette intersects with campground etiquette. Uh, oh!
__________________
TandW
TandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 16,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
You are aware the requirement to illuminate the flag at night was removed years ago, right?
When was the code for illumination removed? I cannot find any reference to that. It is unfortunate that the U.S. Flag Code, as a law, is not enforced.

There are many sources for the U.S. Flag Code. Here are two that or .gov web sites.


House of Representatives

USA.GOV

One of my "peeve" is when the flag is not displayed, "On its own right." That is, right fender or rear fender of a car, motorcycle, bike or other vehicle. Or when against a wall on its own right means when an audience is looking at it it is on THEIR left.

Everyone should be familiar with our history and code of the U.S. Flag. IMO
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse) RVM14
Lexi - Goldendoodle
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:26 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,462
I have long felt that the half-staff rule has long been abused by both presidents and governors, especially the duration of such orders.
__________________
TandW
TandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
wrvond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
When was the code for illumination removed? I cannot find any reference to that. It is unfortunate that the U.S. Flag Code, as a law, is not enforced.

There are many sources for the U.S. Flag Code. Here are two that or .gov web sites.


House of Representatives

USA.GOV

One of my "peeve" is when the flag is not displayed, "On its own right." That is, right fender or rear fender of a car, motorcycle, bike or other vehicle. Or when against a wall on its own right means when an audience is looking at it it is on THEIR left.

Everyone should be familiar with our history and code of the U.S. Flag. IMO
You are correct and I mis-spoke (mis-wrote?).
What I was referencing (from memory) was that Public Law 94-344, known as the Federal Flag Code, contains rules for handling and displaying
the U.S. flag. While the federal code contains no penalties for misusing the flag, states have their own flag codes and may impose penalties. The state in which I reside struck down the penalty for displaying a US flag unilluminated at night.
Being one of those factoids that really didn't affect me directly it got filed away and then misremembered.
__________________
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 6.7L CCLB DRW 4x4 Ruby Red
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
FL420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
You are correct and I mis-spoke (mis-wrote?).

What I was referencing (from memory) was that Public Law 94-344, known as the Federal Flag Code, contains rules for handling and displaying

the U.S. flag. While the federal code contains no penalties for misusing the flag, states have their own flag codes and may impose penalties. The state in which I reside struck down the penalty for displaying a US flag unilluminated at night.

Being one of those factoids that really didn't affect me directly it got filed away and then misremembered.
Thank you for researching, self-correcting and explaining your first post. I wish everyone would follow your example.
Good on you.
...
__________________
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bowtie Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 352
Never realized I would strike a nerve. I don't care.
I am as patriotic as it gets. If you don't like my flag lit up at night, too bad.
I never said anything about etiquette.
I drive Chevy trucks, I like baseball, hot dogs and apple pie.
I have a Son in Law and a Nephew currently deployed.
My trucks have support the troops plates.
As far as campground lights after dark, the only thing you see at my site is the flag. Nothing else.
If you can't appreciate that , I don't care.
__________________
02 Keystone Hornet Lite 25 FL
18 Silverado Dbl.5.3 6sp 3.42 stock ( grunt truck)
18 Silverado Crew 5.3 6sp 3.42 9" lift 37's(fun truck)
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flag pole for stock Newmar flag bracket the_hern Newmar Owner's Forum 2 09-05-2021 10:28 PM
The USA FLAG ETIQUETTE, How the American Flag should be correctly Displayed Dogman635UT Military / Veteran RVing 22 11-15-2019 02:30 PM
Flag etiquette - US flag and foreign flag ballard770 Military / Veteran RVing 42 09-30-2014 01:50 AM
displaying photo images on forum/ kscouple52 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 3 12-30-2008 03:01 AM
displaying photos DanJenn iRV2.com General Discussion 23 04-22-2008 12:17 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.