Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #57
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I know that is your opinion and I respect that. But you are so wrong. Boiling water removes the calcium and that is the white residue that remains in the bottom of the pot if you have hard water. We’ve been boiling water to use in batteries forever. But it’s ok. I don’t expect you to agree. And yes, boiling also kills bacteria but I don’t believe the batteries care about that but they do care about hard water deposits.

Sorry, boiling water does NOT remove calcium or other minerals from water. FACT.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boil...&client=safari
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
FYI, this is what I use for my distilled water needs. I also use it to make drinking water sometimes. One thing that some people may not know, is that there are pollutants that are not solids, not that it should matter for a battery but it does for drinking purposes. I have another distiller at home that has a specially designed vent to allow lighter than steam vapors to vent prior to condensing the steam. Point being is that distilled water isn't necessarily pure water, but certainly more pure than not distilling it.
You mean 'air' --------
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:00 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is also some drinking water that they start with distilled water and then the add minerals for taste.

I look for the distilled water that is labeled on the back where it says clean, pure water made with "steam distillation"
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:50 PM   #60

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You mean 'air' --------
Not really, I actually did mean "steam" (being the vapor phase of water) as there are lighter than water (steam) volatile substances that could be in water such as alcohol for example (much worse things in reality like benzene, pesticides, etc.) that vaporize and condense at a lower temperature than water and is lighter than the steam. However, as you stated, those substances are also lighter than air when in a vapor form so either word would be fine. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:21 PM   #61

The makeup of distilled water!

Lol. Generally speaking, I love all of the fight some of you folk have. Keep it up.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:24 PM   #62

What this party needs is some distilled spirits.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I know that is your opinion and I respect that. But you are so wrong. Boiling water removes the calcium and that is the white residue that remains in the bottom of the pot if you have hard water. We’ve been boiling water to use in batteries forever. But it’s ok. I don’t expect you to agree. And yes, boiling also kills bacteria but I don’t believe the batteries care about that but they do care about hard water deposits.
You are thinking of boiling into steam, then catching the condensate when it cools (distillation), but simply boiling will not remove/lower any TDS level, it fact it will increase due to the loss of water volume.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:46 PM   #64

I have heard it all

You people need to worry over things that matter. Go down to your local grocery store. Find the isle where the bottled water is sold. There you will find distilled water in plastic one gallon jugs. It’s that simple. Why do you make it so complex. People have been using it for ages in wet cell batteries.
marknorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:49 PM   #65

I have used both collected rain water as well as water collected from a dehumidifier for decades and I have gotten at least 5 to 6 years at a very minimum out of all the deep cycle batteries that I have maintained with those sources. I have also used those same sources to fill humidifiers, which we seldom use but have noted a significant difference between those sources and tap water on the humidifying element.
Leszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #66
mre

I just looked at the unopened gallon of distilled water in the garage. It says, "distilled water", but also says "with minerals added for taste."

Ingredients listed on the label:
Distilled water
Magnesium Sulfate
Potassium Bicarbonate
Potassium Chloride

Distributed by Walmart
Old 02-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #67

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
Your over thinking this. Lol
I've used any tap water available to "distilled" water.
Never noticed any difference in battery longevity or performance.
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #68

I've been using the condensate from my dehumidifier for years without problems. My last lead-acid batteries lasted for 8 years of camping without hookups.
rrspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #69

Neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Distilled water....boiled into a vapor that is then recovered leaving the minerals behind
*think making moonshine

Deionized water.....Cation/Anion Beds remove the mineral ions via chemical exchange

Reverse Osmosis water.......forced thru membranes under high pressure that separates the minerals/water

ALL can be used in batteries

If you can find distilled water on the shelf....use it
DI water....good luck finding that
RO water.........vending machines outside grocery stores

Distilled water......
Type I-----ULTRA Pure----Lab research
Type II...not as pure but also used in lab work
Type 11....everyday distilled water sold in gallon containers---grocery, retail stores etc
Type IV.....typically a fed product for further distillation processes

At the Power Plants I worked in we made Distilled water using Evaporators, DI water using Cation/Anion Beds, RO Water
All for use for boiler water
Evaps.....old school and low volume
DI Beds......better quality but monitoring was critical
*regens needed Sodium Hydroxide/Anion Bed & Sulfuric Acid/Cation Bed
RO...turn then on/walk away and they made lots of clean/pure water PLUS HUGE volumes of brine

Distilled water for HER CPAP machine
we buy several gallons when we can find it at the store
*supply chain shortages are PITA
Neat seeing someone else in the business. I too operated boilers, condensers, mixed bed polishers, evaporators, RO units. Lab work for decades. Great synopsis!
AKHuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #70

I quit reading after 27 replies! 👍🏻☮️✌🏻

Tags
led, water