Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #1

Divert Fresh Water Drain

I have a 2018 Forest River Sandstorm 5th Wheel Toy Hauler. There is a very nice valve/outlet (similar to the gray/black water drain valve) on the bottom to pull for draining the fresh water tanks. However, I don't have a way to divert the water anywhere other than straight down under the middle of the RV. I would like to divert the water somewhere else (e.g. other than just the street when at home, other than create a mud puddle when dry camping, etc.). The drain outlet looks to be standard, but I have not been able to find anything that I can connect to it (the dealer has no idea). The OD is 1.75" and the ID is 1.5". There are 4 posts on the outside, similar to the posts on the end of the gray/black drain, but this is a much smaller size. If I could even find a cap, I could drill and attach a garden hose bib, but I can't even find a cap.

I went to Home Depot, and none of the PVC fittings have an ID of 1.75 so I could slide it over the outlet, or an OD of 1.5 so I could insert it into the outlet. I did find a piece of 1-1/4" flexible tubing that could fit tight inside the outlet (> $6 per foot), but before I went that route I thought I would ask this group if someone had a better idea. Is there a standard cap/fitting I should be able to find, or do I need to make something myself? I have included a photo so this makes more sense.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FreshWaterDrainValve.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	195343

Thanks
Jack
jhelfrich21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #2

Replace that flange/connection with this.....
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/T1008-1.html

Then add this connection so you can use a garden hose to drain
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_...Connector.aspx

Tank will not drain as fast but you can control where the water drains to
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I never drain the tank anyplace but the street in front of my house. Always want as much fresh water with me as I can get.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jack! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Looks like Old-Biscuit may have solved your problem! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #5

Have you tried a pice of 1.1/2” PVC pipe? It might be an 1 1/2” female fitting and you can reduce from there.
hakman2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #6

Yuo, "Old-Biscuit" has you covered.

It looks as if your coach's drain valve matches ones that Valterra sells directly to manufacturers ("OEM") (links here and here). They even sell one with a flange-with-cap (as "Old-Biscuit" suggests) (link to Valterra's page here). Valterra doesn't seem to sell the flange-with-cap in white plastic separately.

The Valterra part, T1008-1, appears different in Valterra's page vs. etrailer's page. If I had to guess, the image on etrailer's page is up-to-date, and the one on Valterra's page is out-of-date.

My coach's drain pipe does not have a gate valve that is so easily modified. To drain the tank, I've put a bucket with a garden hose outlet on the ground underneath, attached a garden hose, and let 'er rip.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #7

Slip a "Water Thief" on the drain line and then connect a garden hose. All the best.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect.../dp/B000EDOSKG
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I never drain the tank anyplace but the street in front of my house. Always want as much fresh water with me as I can get.
X2, or sometimes if I know I'm not going to use anymore water, I'll open it on the way home and let it drain while driving.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Will a new tube fit inside ??

Whatever you do, consider a couple issues.

1) Can water accumulate inside and freeze..

2) Can bugs set up housekeeping
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
X2, or sometimes if I know I'm not going to use anymore water, I'll open it on the way home and let it drain while driving.

As a motorcyclist, I sure hope you get a fine for that.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Me too. Any small pools of water in the tank and plumbing slosh around and get drained out.. I then dump 1/4 gallon of antifreeze in the fresh tank, then close the drain valve.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
For draining fresh water on the road? Don’t ever ride in Oregon, there is water on our roads all the time.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #13

Me too-
Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post

For what, water on the road?? I ride my bike in the rain all the time, it's no big deal, any good rider should know how to handle a wet road. I always drain my FW fresh water tank driving down the road.
I couldn't imagine standing in court pleading guilty to pouring water on the road!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water