Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Unhappy Do Dealers think we are all stupid???

I feel like I am in an alternative universe while I am shopping around for a new pre-owned coach... I see something I like and even though I believe that I appear to be a somewhat intelligent and informed individual, the dealers quote me prices that are higher than average retail and then they make it seem that I am insulting them when I offer them less than retail. Am I doing something wrong? I am using NADA prices as a guideline and starting my negotiation at low end of the NADA prices for the units. I have explained my rationale to a few dealers now and they just get angry and walk away. They say that they can not make enough money by selling units at less than mid-high retail. Where are these great deals that I am hearing about?

Frustrated in Massachusetts
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Why don't you try a private sale. Classifieds here on IRV2, www.RvRegistry.com, RVT.com® | RVs For Sale, Used RV, Travel Trailers, Motorhomes, Campers | Traders and Dealers, SELL RVs Online and many others I'm sure. And depending upon what you are looking for, you might look at mine.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi fansill,
Dealers sell only when they need to sell. The customer never knows when the dealer needs to sell something.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Keep plugging away..Don't be afraid to buy one a few hundred miles away.
Porters Rv in Easley SC has a website and are good to deal with. I have purchased from them. Also Tom Johnson in Charlotte, NC great people 2 locations and gave me a great deal on our current coach. They have a website. I have not bought from Lazydays Rv but they are big and prices on thier website seem fair. Watch out for Ebay, GoodSam sites there are scammers out there...Good Luck and remember the search is part of the fun...D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Bill...wish I could go that high because Tiffins are really prime, but my budget is lower and I was looking at around a 2004-2006 Fleetwood Diesel Coach. It seems that all the dealers think that those type units are worth their weight in gold....
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The same thing happend to me. I priced a used dp, and when the salesman told me the price, he acted like he was doing me a favor. It was dirty, not taken care of and I told him where to stick it. I got on ebay and found a good deal in Florida. If you are careful, you can get good deals on ebay. I had a little problem witht the guy in Florida, but after I made a complaint against him to the Florida department of motor vehicles, I got the problem straightened out. It was worth the 850 mi. trip.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The dealers are out to make as much money as they can. So they will jack up the price and try to retire on your purchase. Determine what the unit is worth, make an offer that is reasonable and be prepared to walk. Leave the dealer with your phone number in case they want to lower the price. In the mean time keep shopping you may find one you like better.

On a couple of RV and car deals, the dealer said no way and we walked. A week later they called and ask if we were still interested in the unit as they would make a special deal...I loved telling them we found a better deal and purchased it the next day.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
If you look at Tom Johnson's site be sure and look under Class A Gas as for some reason some of their diesels are in there. They are a Fleetwood dealer and have several good ones listed and make great deals.

2007 Fleetwood DISCOVERY 40X for sale | Concord, NC

Also Porters RV in Easley SC has a 2006 Revolutuion LE on sale for $129k with the bath and a half. They also have a 2006 Discovery and 2005 Excursion both under $120K

Tracy
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #9

The "deals" will probably get better as fuel price continue$ to climb - but by then, fewer of us will be looking...

When we were looking for our older Winnie, private parties were easier to deal with - but some of them were also from outer space as to the current RV market and pricing...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Craigslist...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
fansill, glance over these TiffinRVNetwork Classified Ads - Browse Ads while your sipping on a cool one to calm your nerves. Some of these will be outrageous also but there might be something in there that your looking for within what you want to pay. Don't forget the classifieds here on IRV2 Main Index - RV & Motorhome Classifieds .
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
stick to your guns
you will be surprised at the deals out there.

even a 1k mile trip wouldn't be to far
and as spring approaches and the middle east continues to be unstable, expect to see a lot of "new" used ones on the market just like last recession, or the beginning of this one

we found a brand new, never sold unit that sat for a year in a dealers lot.
picked it up for 60% of what it was suppose to retail for.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fansill
I looked for two years before I found a deal I could live with. I went to several RV shows and talked to way too many dealers. I feel that talking with the dealers is a waste of time. They will come down about 15 to 20 percent on a new unit but will be very high on a used unit. I finally bought the Kelly Blue Book RV guide and it helped a lot. I liked it over the NADA. I found a lot of private sellers with a "must sell now". Unfortunately, most had paid small down payments and financed for 20 years and was "underwater on the value". Their unpaid balance was more than the unit was worth. I had some luck with Ebay and found a 2009 dp the owner had paid cash for. The unit was nearly new and he really wanted to sell real bad. The problem was none of the banks I checked with would loan anyone money on a motorhome. I was lucky enough to be able to come up with the money in cash. This brings us back to the dealers. If you do not have cash the dealers are usually the only ones to be able to arrange financing. You might have better luck with your bank. Bottom line, keep looking, be patient. I started out hoping for a Newmar or a Tiffin dp.. It just took time and luck. I wish you lotsa luck.
suwanneefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #14

Take a look at dieselpushers.us They are in Greenville, NC. Only deal in diesel motorhomes. Nice inventory. Bought from him 3 years ago.