Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Do Medicare Advantage plans work for Retirees and FTers like ads show

With all the TV ads for Medicare Advantage plans with no monthly premiums, return of the $144/month on Social Security, and all the "0" pay medical coverages, how does this work for traveling retirees and full timers?

Sounds almost too good to be true.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Typically a Medicare Advantage program works similar to a HMO. You have a specific medical group to use in network, anything else is out of network - with reduced coverage.

Regular Medicare with a supplement (aka medigap) provides full coverage wherever you travel.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Typically a Medicare Advantage program works similar to a HMO. You have a specific medical group to use in network, anything else is out of network - with reduced coverage.

Regular Medicare with a supplement (aka medigap) provides full coverage wherever you travel.
Agree, with a supplement plan, you can travel anywhere and use a doctor that accepts medicare. Many times with no co-pay. I use the N plan and no problems wherever I go. But it does cost me about $130 a month.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven’t seen an Advantage plan where I live that doesn’t restrict coverage to a geographic area and a (sometimes short) list of approved facilities and providers. My husband and I have BC/BS plans with national coverage. It was one of the real requirements we had for Medicare plans since we travel a lot.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've used a Medicare Advantage plan for years and traveled widely. Mine is a PPO from Aetna with a nationwide network; furthermore, any Medicare provider can provide service at Medicare standard rates.

As for all those claimed benefits, you don't get all of them in one package. You can choose a low benefit plan that returns much or all of your Part B premium, or you can choose a plan that gives you extra coverages, e.g. vision, dental, etc. with no reduction in premium. Or some variation in between.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #6

There is another reason why advantage is a bad idea. At sign up time you can get medicare and supplement regardless of your health. To switch later on requires medical underwriting. So once you choose advantage you may be stuck there forever.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #7

Currently I'm paying $341 for supplement with United Healtcare, both wife and I. But this amount has been going up each year in the last 3-4 years as the amount contributed by my past employer decreases. And that contribution was to disappear completely in the next 5 years, but now the employer has come up with a new wrinkle by changing all retirees to a United Heathcare Advantage Plan. The supplement has always worked very well for us, traveling or at home. Never any additional out of pocket payments to be made. Not sure I like the past employer's ideas.

I had thought if it didn't work out the next year I could then drop it and go back to a supplement with Medicare, but this may not be true. May be lots of headaches switching back to Medicare after being in an Advantage Plan. Wonder who I should talk to for all my questions?
Old 10-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #8

No Advantage Plan for me. Hospitals in our region are dominated by one large hospital, and they control 1700 physicians and nurse practioners. They don't accept Advantage plans of any kind. Many patients have to travel 50-100 miles to a city where they can get taken care of--after their home town doctor has sold his practice to the hospital.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #9

You've asked two questions with different "There is another reason why advantage is a bad idea. At sign up time you can get medicare and supplement regardless of your health. To switch later on requires medical underwriting. So once you choose advantage you may be stuck there answers. Most retirees will be OK for travel as long as they obtain routine care within their plan's service area. Emergency and urgent services are covered anywhere within the US by mandate.

For full-timers and "extended-timers" it gets a bit sticky. The following link lays things out pretty succinctly:

https://www.medicareinteractive.org/...-with-medicare

If I was a full-timer or "extended-timer" would I choose a Medicare Advantage plan, no. As an occasional traveler for a few weeks or a month or two at a time, yes, and I have (Kaiser, Northern CA). I say this after a career as a managed care contracting director for a major west coast not-for-profit hospital system.

Note: Not all Medicare Advantage plans are created alike, once you get past the Medicare mandates, so investigate a plan's coverage carefully before signing up.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
There is another reason why advantage is a bad idea. At sign up time you can get medicare and supplement regardless of your health. To switch later on requires medical underwriting. So once you choose advantage you may be stuck there forever.
This is simply not true. According to Medicare.gov:

"Between October 15—December 7, anyone with Medicare can join, switch, or drop a Medicare Advantage Plan. Your coverage will begin on January 1, as long as the plan gets your request by December 7."

Other, more limited changes can be made after December 7. Full information can be found here (pages 12-13):

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/12...tage-Plans.pdf

By and large, Medicare.gov does a pretty good job of explaining things so I suggest you rely on its publications for the most accurate information.

For those who've never been covered by an HMO or other form of managed care, Medicare Advantage can represent a major change in how one obtains healthcare.

For those like me, who were covered by an HMO in my working and pre-Medicare retirement years, it's pretty painless. One day I was covered by Kaiser's HMO and the next I was covered by Kaiser Medicare Advantage. My doctors and hospitals didn't change, how I accessed care didn't change and, for the most part, my coverage didn't change significantly, except for copay and deductible amounts.

If you're a full-timer or "extended timer" please read my comments in post #9.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I've used a Medicare Advantage plan for years and traveled widely. Mine is a PPO from Aetna with a nationwide network; furthermore, any Medicare provider can provide service at Medicare standard rates.

As for all those claimed benefits, you don't get all of them in one package. You can choose a low benefit plan that returns much or all of your Part B premium, or you can choose a plan that gives you extra coverages, e.g. vision, dental, etc. with no reduction in premium. Or some variation in between.

So far I've been pretty happy with my Aetna Medicare Advantage PPO. In my area, there is a "free" version and an upgraded version which costs $59/month but has lower copays and prescription costs. I can go to any doctor in my plan and there are a lot. It even has emergency coverage for overseas travel and within the US. If traveling in country, there is a nationwide network. And my plan has dental and some vision coverage.
MA plans are probably not a good choice if you anticipate heavy medical costs in the future (not that anyone has a crystal ball) but if you are healthy and have a good family medical history I think they're fine.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I suggest that all of you read what Medicare.gov has to say about Medicare Advantage plans in general. It is Medicare and subject to all the rules that apply to Medicare providers. An Advantage plan is often referred to as Medicare "Part C".

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...dvantage-plans

An Advantage plan may not be the right answer for everybody, but it deserves an honest evaluation compared with traditional Medicare. I keep my wife's insurance as traditional Medicare + a UHC supplement because she needs extremely expensive care that makes the supplement very valuable to us. My own health is decent ahd I use only routine care, so the savings of an Advantage plan outweigh other considerations.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #13

I have an Advantage plan and am well pleased with it.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
This is simply not true. According to Medicare.gov:

"Between October 15—December 7, anyone with Medicare can join, switch, or drop a Medicare Advantage Plan. Your coverage will begin on January 1, as long as the plan gets your request by December 7."

Other, more limited changes can be made after December 7. Full information can be found here (pages 12-13):

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/12...tage-Plans.pdf

By and large, Medicare.gov does a pretty good job of explaining things so I suggest you rely on its publications for the most accurate information.

For those who've never been covered by an HMO or other form of managed care, Medicare Advantage can represent a major change in how one obtains healthcare.

For those like me, who were covered by an HMO in my working and pre-Medicare retirement years, it's pretty painless. One day I was covered by Kaiser's HMO and the next I was covered by Kaiser Medicare Advantage. My doctors and hospitals didn't change, how I accessed care didn't change and, for the most part, my coverage didn't change significantly, except for copay and deductible amounts.

If you're a full-timer or "extended timer" please read my comments in post #9.
After you read pages 12 and 13, you might want to read page 25 too.