Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OF course for some folks following distance .. Won't help. Looking at the road... Might. Another true "I was there" story.

Snow in Detroit, road is a mess. I'm in the next to the left hand lane (For the record that is the lane that went to where I was going.... Work) and driving senesablly with time to spare cause knowing the roads are bad I left way early, it is 2:something pm (bright sun) and I notice an SUV sideways in the road in front of me.. Since there is traffic in the next lane to the right and he's blocking BOTH left lenes I stop.. I drive a Lumina APV (lots of lights) And I'm standing on the brakes so they are all lit.

I watch 3 cars come up behind me one lane over (These are why I had to wait) they are a good distance apart, The first one zooms by.. Then the 2nd one.. Then the third, a sub-compact zooms by and WHAM. the SUV is no longer blocking my path. After seeing that the driver of the mini car was ok I called the office and hit the road.

Turns out the office was watching.. They had it all on candid camera (Well traffic camera) but since the road was clear.. I continued on to work.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Maybe he was delivering the MH and the toad was his way home.
Now that you mention it, he was driving it like he stole it.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
You need to forget the 2 sec, 3 sec, 4 sec rule. I go by "yes dear" rule. Easier on the nerves (mine) that way.
Best name I have heard for "the rule" AND that is my 'too close' warning. It comes from the right seat and is quite loud and very dependable.

My only problem is that the warning also goes off when ANY brake lights are seen, even a half mile away. Oh well. Better safe than etc. . . .

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #32

I had a GF that would try to punch a hole in the floorboard every time she saw brake lights...

No matter how far away they were.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
The person driving the MH has a much better view then you driving your car beside a 18 wheeler and he also has the weight to keep him off aquaplanning like a car might do !
Are his brakes also 4 times as good as anything else on the road??

Its easy to drive straight ahead no matter what the vehicle- a tall 12 yr old can drive the school bus no problem.

The difficulty arises when the driver has to exercise judgement- yes? Like knowing how much distance it will take to stop that big, good visibility non-hydroplaning RV when that car he's tailgating blows a front tire and starts skidding all over the highway

But hey, he'll have a great view until he hits.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #34

I like my rear sticker, is says: "If you can read this...I can deploy your air bags anytime I choose" Are you ready?