Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2022, 02:14 PM   #1

Question Do we travel to the keys October 22

live in Ottawa Canada, have reservations 7 days near key west and then miami area had intended to leave ostober 22 wondering about going ahead with the three-week trip. geiger sunshine key and Miami everglades rv parks all say they are okay and open for business. my concern is on the trip down and back will be going thru areas probably affected. Had hoped to stop in Charlotte maybe Daytona and maybe a day or two in Orlando on the way back Suspect Orlando and Charlotte are now no goes. Would it be rude to travel so soon after the storm. looking for advice
michael john is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #2

As long as you are flexible in your expectations, which we are on every trip.

I'm sure there'll be many that would appreciate your business after such devastation and how it's affected many financially. Ultimately of course it's your decision.

Just my 2cents which with today's inflation isn't worth anywhere near as much
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael john View Post
live in Ottawa Canada, have reservations 7 days near key west and then miami area had intended to leave ostober 22 wondering about going ahead with the three-week trip. geiger sunshine key and Miami everglades rv parks all say they are okay and open for business. my concern is on the trip down and back will be going thru areas probably affected. Had hoped to stop in Charlotte maybe Daytona and maybe a day or two in Orlando on the way back Suspect Orlando and Charlotte are now no goes. Would it be rude to travel so soon after the storm. looking for advice
It's Florida, other than areas which took direct hits, it'll be business as usual in a week or two.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:48 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I live in the greater Charlotte, NC area. Not sure why you think it would be a no go. Other than a lot of rain, we had no effect from the hurricane.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:55 PM   #5

I’m sure FL has a website that has information on travel issues.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:51 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
I think you are overthinking things. Just go on your trip as planned. Call ahead for site reservations a few days or maybe a week once you know exactly where you want to stay.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #7

Go it should be ok
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:17 PM   #8

It sounds like the Ft. Myers area got hit pretty hard, including Sanibel Island. The rest of the state, not so much. The news media makes it sound like half the state (or more) was wiped out.... the usual sensationalism.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:59 AM   #9

I wouldn't worry about it. Other that a little too much rain, the east coast of FL is unscathed.

Just avoid the Ft Myers area and all should be good.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-04-2022, 02:32 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Other that a little too much rain, the east coast of FL is unscathed.

Just avoid the Ft Myers area and all should be good.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Not really. Daytona & Dayton Beach took a hit from wind and high water,, New Smyrna Beach too as well as New Smyrna and even north of Dayton there has been damage (Flagler I think). And now, in Orlando and parts of Brevard county the water is RISING as it flows into the river basins. So best to check any campground plans for that area first before traveling.

Not that all this might matter much to the OP as things should ease up by the time he travels. But someone reading this for near future travel might benefit from up to date info.

And if you are in Titusville then you are probably aware of the St Johns river flooding hwy 46 and closing it. Heck, even one street in my community in T'ville is flooding due to high St Johns River water and has been closed off.

I'll bet the Crystal River area north of Tampa is impacted too. Heck that area gets high water from normal summer rain.

Best to call ahead to where you are going.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:12 AM   #11

Quote:
I went to Key West from Tampa and back on Monday . No issues. My brother is in the Daytona area and there was some local flooding in low lying areas, but you will be OK. Same reports from a niece in Orlando.
In the Keys, no major impact. Some tree damage, but that's about it. Sunshine looked intact... it's a sand parking lot, so there isn't much to damage. I didn't stop at Geiger, but you should know they were bought by new owners so we'll see if anything changes..... I like going there for dinner.... get atmosphere.

When you say Charlotte are you referring to Charlotte NC or Charlotte Harbor, FL.... if the later, make other plans
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
Heck, even one street in my community in T'ville is flooding due to high St Johns River water and has been closed off.
I guess I just don't consider 6" of water over 100' of Plantation Drive to be a serious problem.

Plus the river is now dropping and any local flooding should be gone in a day or two.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #13

Ian is not your concern. The next storm may be hitting by the time you get there.
Miami is pretty protected from storm surge given all the islands off their coast. Also it saw nothing from Ian and a big city so you are assured they are ready for your arrival. FL is built for storms. Unless it is a location directly hit by a hurricane then by the time you get there you should be able to get around just fine.
Bobertgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:19 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
we live in Florida , central near Orlando. talked to many friends all over the state. People watch to much tv news that focus only on the damage. Yes tragically some areas were badly damaged /destroyed. Its a big State . The rest Unless right on a river or lake are relatively ok. The Freeways (and services ) are all open. I might re consider ft Meyers this winter as the beaches and islands will take a long while to rebuild. otherwise the state is open, esp by the time your talking about.

Tags
travel