Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #225

Apackof2

I do travel from time to time when I know that a lot of people are going to be there... If you can find at least 12 people who are willing to be taught I would be willing to make the travel there... It will cost a small fee... When I retired just before my son become a cop I offer courses to the civilan in my area for free... the onlt thing they have to pay for is the rental space of the range and the room area where I will be teaching... I have been asked to travel to other places but tell them they must get at least 12 to 15 people who are willing to learn... Since I'm willing to travel out there I nees for you to put together 12 to 15 people min 12 who are willing to learn... You must have your own ammo and your own gun but if you like you can PM me and I will deliver my number and you can call me or I can call you and we can talk more about it... my time will be free as i'm retired but the small fee will inclide paying for my room, my meals and either my plane ticket out or my fuel cost my training time other wise is free thoas long as you pay my meals and my room at a hotel I will spend a week there if you like... Please let me know what you liek to do... Bes tof luck
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #226

Jack, if you need money that bad, with all your experience you should be able to get a security guard job at Wal-mart. Just remember keep that bullet in your shirt pocket!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #227

I retired from the US Coast Guard in 1996 as a CWO4 WEPS (Gunner), am an Expert pistol shot and attended an FBI Fireaems instructor course. My personal choice of weapons are, Model 870 Remington .410 shotgun with #7 shot by my bed at night. If I HAD to use it in the confines of my rig, a .410 would be sufficient to stop the action. I don't believe that I need a CCW and so won't get one. While in the deserts or forests, I pack a model 28 S&W, 6" barrel on my hip as I believe that an open carry will stop actions before they ever start. I do not have to put myself in places that I believe that I would need a concealed weapon, ie. less desirable areas of cities. That said, if you still feel you need a concealable weapon, a smaller framed revolver in .357 cal. would be my recommendation.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #228

Sheeeesh! Blaster

You're going to get it now. lol

I know I've said it before on this forum but you can't hardly find a gun discussion with this type of consideration shown one another.
The first time I ever held a hand gun, I embarrassed myself, the 37 other recruits and the FBI instructor that had to stop the firing to keep me from hurting myself and everyone else on the range. That was fall of 1966 and things changed fast after that. I only entered one competition but often out shot those who were in the habit of winning shooting contests.
As far as shooting someone, we were taught to draw only if we "intended" to kill someone and to aim at body mass. I've talked to 5 or 6 State Troopers from other states that were trained the same. That doesn't mean you "will" kill them but that you better be ready to.

Jack
I think you epitomize what a retired Trooper should be. I hope to read many more posts from you. Although, I must say time and terminology have change more than I thought. lol

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #229

Good thread. Ok boys and girls...I've a dumb question. Anyone an RV fulltimer? If so, what in the dickens do you do with your firearms when you wish to crossover into Canada?

PS...I cannot lie worth a d*#&.

2007 Fleetwood Southwind 32V w/Ford V10
Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #230

as a retired MSP SGT. I was taught By the state of Maryland... When you are taught by the state you are taught in two ways you are taught to call for back up and have help back you up when needed and you are taught to deal with one on one situation it's a 50/50 deal... Once I retired and I choose the two weapons that I was going to use as a retired SGT. I then started looking around for a little more Civilan courses that would teach you a little more then when I was a COP... Back when I became a county Cop before I became a State Cop we were taught different then when I became a State man I went through the same traing but more ADVANCE and better Advancement skills... As time goes on terminology will always change... My son is a county cop and we spoke the other night and what he was taught and what I was taught some of the terminology was different but still in the long run it just gets better... as I said when I retired I found a company that offered more civilan courses so I took a few alot when they taught me was the same but they taught a few things I did not know... I tell everbody a Gun can be your best friend If you know how to use it but it can also against you if you don't know what you are doing... Alot of cops these days think shooting now asking questions later is the way to go but it's not... I tell them in the courses that I teach for civilans or for the state(Which i do part-time) the ever round you dispense has your signature on it and you must beable to to give a reason why you dispensed that round... I tell them once you pull that tigger there is no taking that round back... I have no problem with people having CWP or CCWS and I feel that all states should make a MANDATORY three days class just to show how to use and fire just basic classes... I wish everone well who owns a weapon but please know what you are doing. Taking A life is not easy I know form Experience... I still live with it everday some times i have night mares and flash back in my dream and can reply it all over just like it happened... I wish nobody does or has to go through what the ones have already gone through... I willing to teach anyone who is willing to learn and want to learn... You do not have to have a CWP or a CCW to take my courses... But if you do not have one then I teach the BASIC of a weapon if you do then I teach the more ADVANVE terminology... best of luck to all... I wish you all well when owning a weapon... GOOD HUNTINGS

SINCERELY to all

P.S BLUDOG: The same thing I always do when Crossing over in to those areas before you cross over into those countrys you pull over and you unlaod your WEAPON... Keep the ammo seperated away from the GUN... Thats how I take care of that problem... and I take my paperwork with me for that GUN incase they find it as I'm crossing into another area...(JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE) BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY
Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #231

I don't need the money that bad that why my training time is free but I do ask that you do the small fee because I'm traveling and going so far... IT's not the money if that was the problem i would og never bought a house or a coach... LOL
Old 03-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #232
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If so, what in the dickens do you do with your firearms when you wish to crossover into Canada? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long guns can be taken into/thru Canada with proper paperwork and a small fee. Do NOT say the long guns are for personal protection.

Hand guns cannot be brought into Canada. Leave them in the USA along with ammo, magazines, and anything related to handguns.

I would not try to sneak a hand gun into Canada.

They have no sense of humor regarding handguns.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #233

Jack

What's backup?? I never had it once in my relatively short career. I left early due to poor wages and large family. I would have retired like my younger brother if wages had been better. Heck, for about a 3 year period I had no radio contact for 4 to 6 hrs a night. People talk about times being different now. I guarantee you except for numbers, all the bad guys dads were around in the "good old days". We were fairly rural with bad guys from the city moving through with stolen cars, armed robberies and burglaries. Not near the numbers of city folk though.

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
Old 03-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #234

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Back in the early 70s, when I was a full-time police officer, they were kind enough at the border on I-5 going over to Vancouver to store my handgun at the border station until my return. I was only in Canada one night and came back out the same place I went in. I do not know if that same courtesy would be extended today.

For now, we have a lot of the US that we want to see before we become overly concerned about what to do with our handguns while across the border, north or south.

Like Stanbnv, I'm a fan of the Remington 870. However, I prefer the 12 gauge loaded with slugs.

Back to Joanie's original question, I wouldn't get excited about a Ruger. A J frame Smith & Wesson loaded with +P half jacketed hollow points would probably serve very well.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #235

Ron,

when I use the term back-up I as a back Bone meaning. When I was a cop a MSP SGT we were taught that if we needed assit. that we called in on the 2 way radio. We would call in use the codes and if needed another officer would be sent to the sence... Back up is when you have assit from other officer withthe sistuation you are in but until other officers or MSP arrive you have to Nurtallize the sittuation using what resources you have and the training you have... I have dealt with many sistuation where I have called for asst. and it has taken time for other's to arrive. I have also been off duty where I have had other CCW and CWP or a armed security gaurd asst. me he idientified himself and I allowed it.. Other times I have not. I wish you all the Best... Back when I first became a cop we used call phones from the road. Back up other officers asst back then was limitied because of the call box thats why we road in two man teams these days they still do but can call for help in a push of a button and within seconds help has arrived... Take care

My regards to all
Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #236

LOL I meant that question to be frivolous. I apologize. I have a 6'6" nephew that was on a city PD at the time. He told me once that I was crazy as heck for working, not only without backup but no radio contact for several hours at a time in an area where I would be hard to find. By the same token I told him he was nuts to work in a city and have to go code to anything. He did eventually get clobbered head on by a legally blind man who decided to drive to get some cigarettes because no one else was home. He spent most of the next year in the hospital. He was a motor officer. The thing I liked best was the night people. Whatever took place was between the two of you and if they spotted you in the middle of the night with a contact, they would stop to see if you needed any assistance. I did run across an interesting ol' gal one time who drove a new Executive MH up in the woods all the time. Her husband was a big time logger and she used the MH to sell timber property. She wanted her comforts while deep in the woods and you can bet she was armed to the teeth. lol

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
Old 03-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #237

Joanie

Sorry about the hijack. I get sorta carried away sometimes. I think I'll back off so we can get back to the best concealed carry weapon for you. I talked to my grand daughter last night. She is going in for training this weekend for her CCW. She's trying to figure out what to buy. I told her the same as has been on this thread and that is to try out several till she finds what fits her.

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
Old 03-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #238

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If so, what in the dickens do you do with your firearms when you wish to crossover into Canada? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long guns can be taken into/thru Canada with proper paperwork and a small fee. Do NOT say the long guns are for personal protection.

Hand guns cannot be brought into Canada. Leave them in the USA along with ammo, magazines, and anything related to handguns.

I would not try to sneak a hand gun into Canada.

They have no sense of humor regarding handguns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Handguns can be taken into Canada for a sporting event, with the proper paperwork.

You can store guns at a pawn shop or a gun dealer before crossing into Canada.

-Tom

Closed Thread