Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #239

This has really turned out to be a great thread!

Ron, don't worry about the hijack I find the stories interesting.

Ron you said, While in the deserts or forests, I pack a model 28 S&W, 6" barrel on my hip as I believe that an open carry will stop actions before they ever start.

Can anyone open carry???
I mean I have never seen anyone with a holster gun on their hip??

I plan on full timing when I get this darn house sold

I do a lot of hiking, woods, mountains, parks etc. and I believe I need protection there as well. Can I open carry on the trail???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #240

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by apackof2:
Can anyone open carry???
I mean I have never seen anyone with a holster gun on their hip??

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've obviously never been in Nye County, Nevada!

Open carry laws vary not only state by state, but also county by county. Check out www.nra-ila.org if you want to see specifics.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #241

This has turned out to be a great thread... We need more of them...LOL I giving my knowledge to people who are willing to listen and learn and i love learning new things myself what a grea site
Old 03-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #242

Personally I like a 410 shotgun with an 18" barrel (much easier to swing around in confined spaces -Mossberg makes a good one)loaded with #4. I also like a laser sight for better aiming at "things that go bump in the night". You don't have to worry too much about penetrating walls and injuring unintended people and it makes a heck of a lot less noise than a 12ga if you have to use it inside your RV. Just hope you never have to..........
Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #243

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can anyone open carry???
I mean I have never seen anyone with a holster gun on their hip?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had not either. A couple of years ago we were either in Nevada or Arizona and went to Wal Mart and they had a sign at the entrance to please check your firearms here.

As far as carry is concerned mine is a finely tuned Smith and Wesson model 60 Chiefs Special. If I can't stop em with 5 I don't deserve to live.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #244

That S&W Chief mod. 60, sure bring's back memories. That is what my Mother bought me for eighteenth birthday, been packing ever since. And I have had training, and have a carry permit. Also to get back to what the lady inquired about, a good carry gun. and I still say check out the Walther PPK 380 AUTO, and if you are real lucky you might find a PP 32 AUTO.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #245

Monaco Owners Club
I like my S&W Chief's Special, 2" barrel, with modified grips for my smaller hands (5 shot). I prefer the revolvers. We have others and DH prefers the 9mm's. I don't care for the slide action, although I can use them. Our .357 is a little too big for me to easily carry.

You should try a few to find what works for you. I'd suggest finding a dealer with an on-site shooting range who will work with you to find what fits you. Take your time and think over your decision. In Arizona you can open carry, but when hiking or fishing the backcountry I will usually keep it in my pack because I have a CCW permit. I keep it in a holster in a pack made for it so I could put it on my hip if wanted. Also, know that CCW laws may not cross state lines. Not all states have reciprocal privileges.

Mic, of
Old 03-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #246

Right on Neil. I can't tell you how many times, that I know of, that inattentive people have nearly run into my vehicle with their own. Then there are the "true" stories of LEOs weapons firing when they shouldn't. Holes in floors, walls, ceilings etc. Those are pretty good reasons for LEOs, not type A, but type triple AAA personalities. You don't screw up, you don't misjudge a situation and you da** well better not embarrass the department. lol
You know, the job being what it is and humans being what they are, the only thing that was never settled in my mind was why don't humans ever realize that LEOs are "humans" too with all the same issues and abilities to screw up. When an LEO screws up they are "all" bad. They have a few at the top that should be running the world, a few at the bottom that should be in front of a firing squad, and most that are giving it their best no matter what is handed out to them AND they are of many different levels of competency. Actually, I believe this is true of many occupations.

Dang, I'm getting wordier and wordier. lol

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
Old 03-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #247

My vote goes with a shot gun. my favorite lump under the pillow is a browning 20 holding 6 rounds. shotguns are legale almost anyplace. don't get cought with a conciled handgun in most states.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:03 AM   #248

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For those who have or are considering having a weapon for personal defence, be sure to educate yourself on not only the safe handling of a firearm, but also that each state and sometimes counties have their own laws. The CCW that I had in Arizona was not recognized in North Carolina when we relocated for my employment.
In Arizona it is legal to carry a weapon as long as it is not consealed but don't try that in some states. You should also be aware that it is illegal to have a weapon in any National Park even if you have a CCW or an FFL. Many state parks have this same law.
The National Rifle Association offers hunter safety courses all across the U.S. that are exelent for anyone to attend. The fee is very reasonable and is required to be able to hunt in many states.

PS; Anyone considering a self defense weapon check out the Taurus Judge.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #249

I carry a Kel-Tec 380 Auto as it fits so easily in my pocket. I have a Florida CC permit/ We also have in the coach a Mossberg 500 pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun which will hold 6 shells. I feel that we are well protected. The 380 Auto is said to not have stopping power, but I feel that it would be OK close in. I consider myself a good shot, but over 10 yards, it is not accurate at all. I keep it loaded with soft nose hollow points when not at the range.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #250

Lindsey you might might to try the 380 hollow points +p rounds those are equal to a 9mm round but a lower grain of the 9mm best of luck
Old 03-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #251

With all this talk about hollow points it struck me how much times have changed. At one time it was considered shocking and unethical that anyone would use a hollow point round but now.....

Times sure have changed haven't they.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #252

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I carried hollow points on duty 40 years ago. If needed, I wasn't particularly concerned about the health and welfare of the bad guy. I was concerned about trying to may sure my children's dad was able to go home at the end of his shift.
Closed Thread